Building A Slow Stick Boomer's Way. - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Building A Slow Stick Boomer's Way.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:53 AM
boomerace
Been there .... Done That

Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I finally received my new motor for the SS yesterday and I mounted it up this morning but the wind was blowing too hard to take it up. I removed the second front wing mount and epoxied on a 1/4" riser to the stock rear mount. I'll hopefully be able to fly it soon to see how it flies now.
Keep us posted on your results.
boomer
Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Elfi's, beauty in flight.

Default SS Disappointment

Boomer:

Don't really know how I messed up this project, but I built my SS with most of the mods you mentioned and also graciously described in an email/PM to me. I thought the plane came out looking good, this version using the plastic insert for the center part of the wing. I thought I had maintained the dihedral that would be established per the plastic insert. Possibly, via my C/F bar reinforcement for each wing, I ended up reducing the dihedral. The end result was a plane that was difficult to turn, even with full rudder deflection. I changed out the motor, for more power, stayed with the 10x4.7 gray GWS prop. CG is right at 4". I had flown another pilot's SS, almost identical setup, but with about 5" of dihedral, versus the 4" on my wing, when measured mid-cord at outer edge of the wing. So, we swapped wings, and my SS would turn just fine, thanks, and his was reduced to the sloppy handling I had been fighting. Based on this experience, I would think a straight wing (0 dihedral) SS would be next to impossible to turn. I am going to build another wing, complete with the modiications for combat, but with more dihedral. Hope I am not chasing my tail, which is precisely what I want to do to some other SS in a combat session!!

Some pics attached to show what I had done to SS #1.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01020001.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	89772   Click image for larger version

Name:	01020012.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	89773   Click image for larger version

Name:	08160012.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	89774   Click image for larger version

Name:	01020020.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	89775   Click image for larger version

Name:	10020005.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	89776  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10030006.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	89777   Click image for larger version

Name:	10040013.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	89778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	89779  
Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
boomerace

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer View Post
Boomer:

Don't really know how I messed up this project, but I built my SS with most of the mods you mentioned and also graciously described in an email/PM to me. I thought the plane came out looking good, this version using the plastic insert for the center part of the wing. I thought I had maintained the dihedral that would be established per the plastic insert. Possibly, via my C/F bar reinforcement for each wing, I ended up reducing the dihedral. The end result was a plane that was difficult to turn, even with full rudder deflection. I changed out the motor, for more power, stayed with the 10x4.7 gray GWS prop. CG is right at 4". I had flown another pilot's SS, almost identical setup, but with about 5" of dihedral, versus the 4" on my wing, when measured mid-cord at outer edge of the wing. So, we swapped wings, and my SS would turn just fine, thanks, and his was reduced to the sloppy handling I had been fighting. Based on this experience, I would think a straight wing (0 dihedral) SS would be next to impossible to turn. I am going to build another wing, complete with the modiications for combat, but with more dihedral. Hope I am not chasing my tail, which is precisely what I want to do to some other SS in a combat session!!

Some pics attached to show what I had done to SS #1.
Just answered your PM Basically just hold reinforcing rods about 3" on each side of the aluminum dihedral tube and bend up to about 16 degrees ... repeat for rear rods. Plastic insert will give that much. Problem solved.
boomer
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Elfi Flyer

Boomer:

Read your PM. Just so I can get it clear in my addled mind, I should actually force the aluminum dihedral tubes to a greater dihedral angle (a sharper V) by grabbing the f/g reinforcing rods at the leading and trailing edge of the wing and bending upward? I would hope the plastic insert will indeed accommodate this change, as there is nothing mounted/filled/inserted within the "V" of the plastic insert. With the original wing, I may not be able to do this unless I can flex the aluminum fairing joint used for the C/F bar reinforcement. However, I could do this with the new replacement wing construction. Have I interpreted your recommendation correctly?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 AM
boomerace

Boomer:

Read your PM. Just so I can get it clear in my addled mind, I should actually force the aluminum dihedral tubes to a greater dihedral angle (a sharper V) by grabbing the f/g reinforcing rods at the leading and trailing edge of the wing and bending upward? I would hope the plastic insert will indeed accommodate this change, as there is nothing mounted/filled/inserted within the "V" of the plastic insert. With the original wing, I may not be able to do this unless I can flex the aluminum fairing joint used for the C/F bar reinforcement. However, I could do this with the new replacement wing construction. Have I interpreted your recommendation correctly?

Thanks for the help.
You read correctly.
boomer
Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Elfi Flyer

Originally Posted by boomerace View Post
You read correctly.
boomer
Many thanks. I will try the crunch technique this evening.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
boomerace

Many thanks. I will try the crunch technique this evening.
I know it works as I just did it to a wing I used on the Bipe. Hope it works as well for you. Takes quite a bit of force to get it to bend however.
boomer
Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Pickle72

I must chime in here and say that is one clean looking SS Elfi! I didn't know a SS could look so good.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 AM
tazz4fun

Default Just thought I would say Thanks,,,,

I don't post much, but I thought I would say Thanks to Mr. Boomerace, your post on RCgroups got me and my kids in the air with a slow stick two years ago... we have dropped bombs, dropped gliders, taken video from the air.... we have gone from slow stick to foam combat to nitro to ducted fans but the slow stick never goes away, its allways fun to fly.
Thanks for the fun, and the education.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:50 AM
boomerace

Originally Posted by tazz4fun View Post
I don't post much, but I thought I would say Thanks to Mr. Boomerace, your post on RCgroups got me and my kids in the air with a slow stick two years ago... we have dropped bombs, dropped gliders, taken video from the air.... we have gone from slow stick to foam combat to nitro to ducted fans but the slow stick never goes away, its allways fun to fly.
Thanks for the fun, and the education.
Glad I could Help. Sounds like your having fun.
boomer