Plane & Radio ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Plane & Radio ?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
C130 Load

Default Plane & Radio ?

HI,,
I new to this forum and getting back into RC after very long time and have never done electrics. Since I have been out so long and never got proficient as I would have liked to I consider myself to be a beginner/novice.
I have been browsing here and other forums and have decided with all the inputs I see that I'm going to get a Hobbyzone Super Cub and an E-Flite Jenny,S.E.5a or Fokker DVII.

Questions are as follows,,

1. Regular size Hobbyzone SC ot Mini version?
2. Which of the E-Flites or does it matter. I plan to fly it indoors and outdoors when the weather and wind allow it. Also how much is a ballpark cost to get everything else needed to fly one of them less radio?
3. I have a Futaba 6-Channel FM radio 6NFK with 4-S148 servos and NR-4J Rec Battery.
It has a 72MHz (72.610 Ch#41 crystal).
Can I substitute this transmitter and use the servos that come with the SC or can I just buy all the parts for the SC and install my servos and receiver and use my transmitter?
4. From what I have read the servos I have will be to big and heavy for the E-Flite's so can I but mini or micro servos that will work with my transmitter?
5. Where is a good place to buy all the above?
6. Has anybody ever used the ClearView sim and if so do you like or dislike it?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer.
Ed
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hi C-130 and welcome to WattFlyer!

The Super Cub is an excellent choice and you'll be well on your way to retuning those thumbs in no time with it. To answer some of your questions the radio gear in the SC is proprietary. It has the 5 wire servos and all the electronics are integrated. It s what it is, but it is a great starter plane.

Get the regular size one and you'll have a great light wind outdoor trainer. The mini version is best suited for indoors or dead calm days.

I don't have any of the elfites you list but they are all good. I think the Jenny is the most docile and easiest to get back into the hobby with.

Your Tx will be ok but your rx and servos and such will not be of much use. Our small planes use the flight battery as the rx battery as well so no rx pack is needed.

There are several vendor where you can get most of this stuff online.

http://www.horizonhobby.com

Is the main distributor of the SC

Good luck to you!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello, Ed and welcome to WattFlyer.

I will offer my opinion on some of your questions.

1. Large SC for sure. Bigger is better when learning to fly. Easier to see and more stable in light winds.

2. I have read good things about all of the WWI biplanes, but they would be too large for indoors unless you are flying in an indoor football stadium. Get an Ember or a Vapor from Horizon Hobby to fly indoors. They are not terribly expensive and come complete. Buy at least two extra batteries.

3. I don't think you can use your Futaba on the SC.

4. The servos are too large. You surmise correctly that you can purchase HS55 servos or the equivalent to use with your transmitter. You won't need the receiver battery, as you will be using an ESC that has a BEC. (Electronic Speed Control and Battery Elimination Circuit)

5. I don't know where you live, but check out your LHS first and them compare prices with online stores. Atlanta Hobby has an Electron Club that saves you money and always has free shipping. There are probably 50 online stores. Just Google what you are looking for and compare prices. You can always order from Horizon.

6. Don't know anything about the Clearview Sim, but I think there is a thread on Wattflyer about Clearview.

I would suggest that you go to the beginners forum and review the sticky threads. There is a world of information in there that will answer lots of questions. But, never hesitate to ask questions, just as you have here.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Here is a link to a Clearview thread.

Here is a link to a comparison of most of the sims.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Hi C-130 and welcome to WattFlyer!

Your Tx will be ok but your rx and servos and such will not be of much use. Our small planes use the flight battery as the rx battery as well so no rx pack is needed.
Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post

4. You won't need the receiver battery, as you will be using an ESC that has a BEC. (Electronic Speed Control and Battery Elimination Circuit)
See you learn something new everyday. I didn't know that but it makes sense now that you say it.
Thanks for your help
Old 01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
C130 Load

Larger one it is then.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I don't have any of the elfites you list but they are all good. I think the Jenny is the most docile and easiest to get back into the hobby with.
I glad you say that because the Jenny is my favorite of that type.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
C130 Load

4. The servos are too large. You surmise correctly that you can purchase HS55 servos or the equivalent to use with your transmitter.
Too large for both, or just the E-Flites?

5. I don't know where you live, but check out your LHS first and them compare prices with online stores.
NE Arkansas
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by C130 Load View Post
Too large for both, or just the E-Flites?

NE Arkansas

When you purchase almost any RC airplane, the manufacturer usually has recommendations for the equipment to be used in that specific plane. I always follow those recommendations, because they know their product better than I do. They will recommend a specific size servo.

Regarding servos, there are several manufacturers that make similar sized servos and you can choose from your favorite maker.

The problem with using large servos is the added weight. An ounce or two added by using larger servos is a significant percentage of a small electric airplanes weight. Another consideration is what the larger servos will do to the airplanes balance. You may actually have to add weight to offset the additional servo weight to get the balance correct. Sometimes this can be accomplished by moving the battery or other components around.

You probably will be able to use your servos somewhere or you could sell them and purchase the correct size servo.

I don't know any RC pilots in NE Arkansas. If you lived in NW Arkansas, I could hook you up with someone to help you.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

If you buy just the parts for the supercub, you can use these electronics, servos, esc, to allow you to use your tx...

30amp brushed esc - this will work fine with the stock motor/gearbox
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0A_BRUSHED_ESC

hxt900 servos... these will work great - buy 2 extra so you can mod the supercub to have ailerons later...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...&ParentCat=189

ps, the supercub runs much better on lipo batterys, they also have great prices on those... try the Zippy or Rhino packs... they work great...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack_

Here's a great charger for your battery's... will balance charge lipos...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

SK