proper lipo charging question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

proper lipo charging question

Old 12-27-2008, 05:27 PM
brokenblade

Default proper lipo charging question

Hi,
I just got a IMAX B6ac and it works good but I want to make sure I'm charging right so I won't mess up my batteries. I'm charging both 7.4 2s batteries and 11.1 3s. All with different mah ratings. Do I charge at 1c for all of them or is that a starting point where you do 1c with some math for each battery. Also do I ever discharge them. I always thought discharging, then charging and balancing refreshed the batteries. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Twmaster

Hi Brokenblade and welcome to WattFlyer!

1C is pretty much the standard for charging lipo batteries.

As for discharge, I usually set my charger for 2C and let'er go. However I almost always balance while charging my packs.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 PM
brokenblade

Default Lipo discharge

Thanks for the info. How often should you discharge Lipo's? I'm thinking when the cell rates change quite a bit. Am I right? Thanks again
Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by brokenblade View Post
Hi,
I just got a IMAX B6ac and it works good but I want to make sure I'm charging right so I won't mess up my batteries. I'm charging both 7.4 2s batteries and 11.1 3s. All with different mah ratings. Do I charge at 1c for all of them or is that a starting point where you do 1c with some math for each battery. Also do I ever discharge them. I always thought discharging, then charging and balancing refreshed the batteries. Thanks for any input.

1C is different for each battery. For a 2200mAh lipo, 1C is 2.2 Amps. For a 900mAh LiPo, 1C is .9 Amps. 1C is the safe spot for most chargers, and it will preserve your batteries. No need to purposely discharge them (unless you intend to store them for extended periods, but thats different). In fact, discharging them too far will seriously harm them.

This RCG post does all the 'splainin' you are looking for - read it. Its important.

GRU