Newbie question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Newbie question

Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 AM
hluckoff

Default Newbie question

What is the proper way to use the sticks on the TX, with your thumb alone or thumb and finger, I find it easier to use just thumbs but would like to know what is the proper way. Thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Twmaster

There really is no 'proper' way. What ever way you are comfortable with that allows full motion of the controls is fine.

FWIW I just use my thumbs. I've seen others use thumb and forefinger. The latter always looked awfully awkward to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

I'm a thumber. With thumbs I can feel by the spring resistance where the stick is in relation to neutral. The pinch method seems to overpower the springs IMO.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:34 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Odd, because after initially learning with just thumbs I converted to pinch because I found it much easier to be precise holding the sticks that way. With just thumb I found myself too often banging the controls from one corner to the other with very little fine control. Converted to pinching the sticks and found I no longer needed most of the expo I'd dialled in to keep me out of trouble.

Which just proves there really is no "better", it's purely down to personal choice .

Steve
Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Pincher here as well. I like the counter-resistance that using two fingers provides; seems to let me have more precise control, especially when I don't have any expo programmed in for the plane I'm flying. Also, I've had the stick pop out from under my thumb when just using the one finger. That's probably the biggest reason I switched to two--dumb thumb is less likely when your thumbs have a chapperone there to keep them in line.

Also, be sure to use a neck strap--that makes a ton of difference, especially during a long (10+ minutes) flight.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41204

Please go to this thread... we don't need two of these debates open at the same time...lol

SK
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Yeah, how did you miss the thread started just yesterday?

The proper way of course is to hold the radio behind your head and use your pinkies to move the sticks.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
fireflyer

I would go for the thumbs, but the choice is yours. Fingers can somethimes be a little more controllable though.
MAtt