My first pylon racer - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

My first pylon racer

Old 09-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Default My first pylon racer

Well, ever since I got a Mini Swift from MS Composit, I have had had the need for speed.

Well, I was looking around at expensive carbon and composit airframes, that could disappear into the ground in 1/100th of a second when it was suggested to me to get a Mountain Models Slipso sport pylon racer. Well, at $23, how could I resist?

Here's a few pictures of the build and the completed plane. This was my first kit that I actually finished. All the others turned out crappy, or weren't built right at all.

Oh, and not to mention that this plane was built without the manual-it is that easy. Notched fuselage parts were easy to put together, and the wing was very easy to glue together.

Specs:

Motor: Motor Max 300DF outrunner
Speed Control: HeFei 18 amp
Battery: Thunder Power 1320mah 3 cell
Prop: APC 4.1x4.1
Servos: (2) GWS Pico Naro (ailerons), Hitec HS 55 (elevator)
AUW: 9.77oz!

Flying this thing is a blast. Flies straight and level and has plenty of power for passes of 80 or so mph. Gotta go up to a 4.75x4.75 prop and see what kinds of speed I can get to, as well as cover the wing with film to improve the aerodynamics.

But I know it's plenty fast. Makes that nice whistling noise when I pass by at full throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	77916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	77917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	77918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	77919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	77920  

Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Thanks for the post. I'm putting the Slipso on my winter build list.
The kv on that outrunner must be awfully high to work well with a 4.1X4.1 prop. I use that prop on my FunJet with a 3200 kv inrunner.
And what set-up did you use with your Mini Swift? I use a 1200 kv outrunner and an 8X3.8 prop. I don't think it's as fast as my FunJet but the torque is wonderful. I get unlimited vertical at just over half throttle. I'd like more speed but not at the expense of the aerobatic abilities.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:13 AM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

The outrunner is a Motor Max 300DF. Supposedly a 2200kv outrunner. Should produce more thrust with an APC 4.75x4.75 prop. Right now, it's pretty speedy.

I'm planning on getting a 3200kv motor from Hobby City. Heard good things about it, and it should be a hot upgrade for this. However, I will have to modify the ailerons to use the torque rods, now that I know how to do them. Was quite confusing how to do them with one servo on its side, untill I saw a picture.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Nice build and for only 23.00 Wow, cheap Fun Take care, Chellie
Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

DOH!

I knew this junky receiver would be the death of this plane, well, kinda.

It's 100% repairable, as you can see from the neatly broken pieces. Should go together real quick, but I'm a bit short on CA... Wing mounts will be epoxied into place this time, and have a bit of hardwood glued in place beneath them for strength. I knew I should have just payed $8 for another crystal for my trusty Berg 4L.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slipso-oops.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	77983  
Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
DOH!

I knew this junky receiver would be the death of this plane, well, kinda.

It's 100% repairable, as you can see from the neatly broken pieces. Should go together real quick, but I'm a bit short on CA... Wing mounts will be epoxied into place this time, and have a bit of hardwood glued in place beneath them for strength. I knew I should have just payed $8 for another crystal for my trusty Berg 4L.

Thats all I use now on FM is Berg, They are a solid receiver, I stoped using other receivers for the same reason, glitches and crashes, no more problem with the bergs, I use the Berg4L receiver too, and Love them, Take A big HAMMER to that Junk receiver that crashed your plane, You will feel a lot better Take care, Chellie
Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

No, the receiver works fine. I think it's my radio, again. Tried it with 3 other receivers I know are good, and had same results with range check.

I from now on will only use Berg and Hitec receivers.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

No, the receiver works fine. I think it's my radio, again. Tried it with 3 other receivers I know are good, and had same results with range check.

I from now on will only use Berg and Hitec receivers.
OK, what Transmitter are you using I use JR transmitters, and never had any problems with them, hitec are a good receiver, but i have had those glitch on me too, thats why i stick with the Bergs, Chellie
Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

I'm using a Hitec Optic 6.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I'm using a Hitec Optic 6.
Ok, Find yourself a JR radio, you will be glad you did, they are made in Japan, and Japan makes the best radios, JR stands for Japan Radio, Take care, Chellie

here is one for 78.00 + 9.00 shipping its new

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-XP-6102-ULTRA...d=p3286.c0.m14

Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

I will NOT go to JR, Airtronics, Futaba, or Spektrum. I am a loyal Hitec customer, and repairs are free. When Hitec comes out with a 2.4ghz system, if they do, I will be headed in that direction.

I do not like the features of any other system. And Hitec RCD USA is no more then a 40 minute drive from me.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

I'm with you, pal. My Optic 6 is bullet proof. So was/is my Focus, Neon, and Flash 5. Actually, the Flash 5 developed a glitching problem once (out of warranty) and they immediately fixed it, for free.
I even joined Club Hitec to get a nice t-shirt and hat. Even those were of great quality!
One mod you might consider for the Optic is a lipo tx pack. The Spectra module eats up nicads fast. I bought a cheap 2500mAh pack from 2dogrc and only have to charge every other week or so.
Right now, 2.4ghz leaves me rather cold because I'd then have to get a lot of new (and expensive) receivers. No, if it ain't broke...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

LOL I think I hit a nerve what ever your happy with in radios that A Ok In My Book Take care, Chellie
Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Yeah, plus the lipo could improve the radio signal because of the higher voltages. Going to have to find one that can fit inside the case, a I don't want to leave the cover off, just to have the battery stick out, open to damage.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

X,
I don't think the higher voltage would improve the signal but I don't know that for sure. But this I know, the lipo tx packs are designed as drop-in replacements. There are no issues with closing your battery hatch. Here is the link for the one I bought for my Optic 6:
http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...ba-p-2105.html
I've seen them cheaper but I don't remember where. The worst that could happen would be having to change the connector. And that's no biggie.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
The slipso is a wonderful little model, flies every bit as well as models costing five times as much. Although personally I'd sand the fuse down as round as I could, even if I got it paper thin. Then I'd lay up some light glass on it. A fair bit tougher and much faster to repair. But that's just me, I like glass work for the speed and simple of it.

On the radio thing. Hitec makes a fine enough radio, for the bread. I know a lot of folks using Optic sixes and they're mostly happy with them. JR is good too. I like their servos for my higher preformance models. They're tighter and more accurate than the other brands.

Still for radios you really can't beat Multiplexes Royal evo 12. My favorite radio ever. The most flexable radio on the market (other than the MPX Profi 4000), programming to and from hell and now that they are in bed with Hitec the best service ever.

I love having the ability to mix anything with anything in any way I want.
I love being able to put whatever control in whatever slot in the reciever too. This way I can run two aileron servos on a Berg 4L.
1)left aileron.
2)elevator.
3)right aileron.
4)throttle

Or any other way I like at the time. It also has a synthisied rf deck so I can switch to any fm channel I want, it even fits my hands better than the aisan radios...
RobII