Aeroworks Edge 540t Electric Conversion - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Aeroworks Edge 540t Electric Conversion

Old 04-04-2020, 06:35 PM
rtatman

Question Aeroworks Edge 540t Electric Conversion

I pulled a new in the box Aeroworks Edge 540t .46-.61 ARF from my attic that years ago I intended to build with an OS 75AX. Since I'm done with nitro, I wanted to do an electric conversion with 6S 4500mah 50C packs I have. I've run several motor options through eCalc and it appears I can get reasonable flight times on mild 3D performance. Since this is a mid-wing design, the bigger issue appears to where/how to mount the batteries and how to get access to them for changing packs. It appears that will require creating a cavity in the center part of the wing which would reduce its strength.

Has anyone done that electric conversion? How did you modify to mount the batteries? Any pictures? Motor used for some 3D capability?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:37 PM
hbollier

Take a look at some of the similarly sized ARFs built specifically for electric. A battery tray in front of the wing tube with the ability to move the batteries all the way from fire wall to wing tube so you can adjust the CG is helpful. Quick release for the hatch is also helpful. Ive used a magnet to hold in the canopy bolts. I long since sold that plane. If I can find pics ill post them.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:01 PM
rtatman

Thanks for the suggestions. Based upon eCalc, I'm probably either going to use a Hacker A50-14S or A50-16S. I need to install the main landing gear & wheels to see if that plane can swing a 16" prop without too high a risk of it hitting the ground before ordering the motor. Unless the battery pack is going way forward to achieve the balance point, I'll need carve out a bit of the center section of the wing for this mid-wing design so the battery will fit.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 PM
RideTheLightning

Typically, you'd locate the battery where the fuel tank would sit. The tray that supports the tank would function the same for the battery. To access, you could cut away a portion of the fuselage top and fashion it into a removable hatch. Check to see if you have enough room in this area to slide the battery forward or aft to get the CG where you want it. If it works, plan and start the surgery.

This is the most common approach for glow to electric conversions.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:20 AM
rtatman

Thanks, the motor & ESC just arrived so I'll be able to confirm where the battery needs to be located to get the proper balance point.