Zagi (48 inch wing span) with Stock Zagi 400 - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Zagi (48 inch wing span) with Stock Zagi 400

Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Hi Carlos
You may be able to buy a canopy but I did found that I could rebuild the top and bottom pcs of canopy. I used West Systmem Resin a little cloth and black spray paint...It looks like new...It was in many pcs when I started...
It probably weighs slightly more than original but it is up front where it actually should help my cg issue.
Charlie
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Charlie,

I have bend those pins of my BLINKY and they have never given me problems. The Pins are very strong and you perhaps damage the plug connector before the pins.

Another solution is to get yourself a Fast Charger with the exact Plug that most Li-POLY come and not necessarily the Thunder Power Li-POLYs.

This is what I use!!!
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...h/PKZ1040.html

You can search at ebay and you can get these chargers for much less, however, at HobbyZone...that is a pretty good price.

Center-of-Gravity:

I have my Receiver, HITEC ELECTRON-6 in front of the main Spar and servos as well. I place the "Flight" Battery up front and all I know is that the ZAGI balances perfectly?

Carlos
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Guys!

My replacement parts for my ZAGI from Trick RC came early this morning!!!

Super fast service!

Carlos
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Hi Carlos
That is great service on your parts...Im glad to see that Trick RC still has canopy parts...I thought that they only had the newer design on the canopy.
I dont think that they still make the original Zagi wing...

My motor and esc should be on their way to me...
I talked to a battery guy (mostly sells scale car racer packs)
He tells me that he recommends the use of a blinky on his packs
which have the JST XHT connector also...He tells me that the blincky pins
line up with the connector without any bending if I take the Thunderpower
adaptor off and use just the blinky. I must say looking at the connector in pictures it looks like the spacing is slightly wider...Does the blinky work on
the horizon/hobby zone batteries that you have?
He took a look at a pic of the (red ebay) battery that you use and says the polarity and wires should be fine even though they have different
color wires...

I'll get you back when my parts get in.

Smooth flying
Charlie
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM
chimpanzee

Default Zagi 400x rocks!!

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Guys!

My replacement parts for my ZAGI from Trick RC came early this morning!!!

Super fast service!

Carlos
This thread is GREAT!!

I crashed my Zagi 400x (stock 400 motor + NiCad 1500mah + Zagi ESc) back in 2006, which damaged the battery tray. Crack where the motor mounts up. I considered getting a replacement tray from Zagi (Hobby People store near me no longer carries them!!??), but I ended up repairing the cracks with double-weave strapping tape. Added another zip-tie to secure the motor.

I should be good-to-go later on today for a flight.

I agree with your previous comments on how the 400x can soar. I fly mildly, like get it up in altitude & look for lift.

Questions:

1) Have you reinforced the wing to handle the BL "power"?
Like additional CF rods?

2) What wattmeter do you use?
I have a new Cermark sitting around, haven't bought the Deans connectors to use it.

3) How do you do your winglets?
The stock Zagi winglets are too flimsy, I actually fly WITHOUT them. Do you just get thin Coroplast, & tape them to the wing? (1 thru the center, 1 at front).

4) What charger do you use for the LiPo?
Frankly, the reports of LiPo fires during charging have SCARED ME OFF. However, I like that Ebay source for your LIPO 3s 2200mah batteries. $38..I can afford that. I have an old Triton charger, which will do LiPo..but it has no way to handle the "extra connectors" for cell balancing.

I guess I need a charger, like:

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger ($37.99)

I bought a couple of BL setups back in 2003 but haven't installed it:

Mega 16/15/4, Castle Creations 25A ESC
Aveox 17/13/3, Castle Creations 25A ESC

I decided against putting in a BL, because I think the stock configuration does WHAT I WANT: "relaxed flying". I have the following kits, which I plan to use for BL:

1) Combatwings XE2
2) Wingwarrior (E-Raider 48", E-Slayer 48", E-Zipper 36")

I notice you have a XE2, how would you compare it with the Zagi 400X in terms of Lift ("soaring") & Penetration ("flying in windy conditions")?

I like the "double clamshell mount" (made of Aluminum) of the WingWarrior, verses the XE2 mount (L-shaped bracket). So, I'm tempted to sell the XE2.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
chimpanzee

Default LiPo warranty period

4. Yes, ebay a store front called batteryworld.123
I checked them out, they only do returns/warranty for 30 days only?

When you had issues with Thunderpower V-series, did they have a longer warranty period?

That's the only thing I'm concerned with for batteryworld.123, warranty service period.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by chimpanzee View Post
I checked them out, they only do returns/warranty for 30 days only?

When you had issues with Thunderpower V-series, did they have a longer warranty period?

That's the only thing I'm concerned with for batteryworld.123, warranty service period.
Most of my returns to THUNDER POWER were out of warranty and at this time, I have no idea what the warranty time limit is depending on the date of purchase or in service date? I believe a call to THUNDER POWER is highly recommended.

30 days for some very inexpensive 20C discharge 2200mAH cells is pretty good in my book. They come with Ultra Deans (China calls them the "T" Connector) and balancing tabs that will work on a standard ParkZone field charger!

You know what? I am not concern about any 30 day warranty limit at all as my very First (#1) 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLY is still working strong!!!

If you like a good deal on some THUNDER POWER "Extreme V2's" then, please visit:
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/guapoman2000
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by chimpanzee View Post
This thread is GREAT!!

Questions:

1) Have you reinforced the wing to handle the BL "power"?
Like additional CF rods?

2) What wattmeter do you use?
I have a new Cermark sitting around, haven't bought the Deans connectors to use it.

3) How do you do your winglets?
The stock Zagi winglets are too flimsy, I actually fly WITHOUT them. Do you just get thin Coroplast, & tape them to the wing? (1 thru the center, 1 at front).

4) What charger do you use for the LiPo?
Frankly, the reports of LiPo fires during charging have SCARED ME OFF. However, I like that Ebay source for your LIPO 3s 2200mah batteries. $38..I can afford that. I have an old Triton charger, which will do LiPo..but it has no way to handle the "extra connectors" for cell balancing.

I guess I need a charger, like:

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger ($37.99)

I bought a couple of BL setups back in 2003 but haven't installed it:

Mega 16/15/4, Castle Creations 25A ESC
Aveox 17/13/3, Castle Creations 25A ESC

I decided against putting in a BL, because I think the stock configuration does WHAT I WANT: "relaxed flying". I have the following kits, which I plan to use for BL:

1) Combatwings XE2
2) Wingwarrior (E-Raider 48", E-Slayer 48", E-Zipper 36")

I notice you have a XE2, how would you compare it with the Zagi 400X in terms of Lift ("soaring") & Penetration ("flying in windy conditions")?

I like the "double clamshell mount" (made of Aluminum) of the WingWarrior, verses the XE2 mount (L-shaped bracket). So, I'm tempted to sell the XE2.
chimpanzee,

1) I have placed my ZAGI wing up towards the light and found that my buddy who built if for me did in fact inserted carbon rods on top and on the bottom of the wing for re-enforcements.

2) ASTRO FLIGHT SUPER WATT Meter:
http://www.astroflight.com/index.php...products_id=16

3) I looked and they seem to be made out of Plastic Corrogulated 3mm material.

4) I use three different chargers, Hobbico MARK-II, Great Planes Triton, and the PARK ZONE Field Charger that comes with the T-28 and F4U.
-Sorry I do not know anything about the Turnigy Accucel-6?

Comparison between my Combat Wing XE-2 model and my ZAGI:
- The Combat is all EPP and heavier thereby flys faster and penetrates wind very well and much better than the ZAGI. The ZAGI does soar but, it does not float like the ZAGI because of it's added weight.
- The ZAGI is EPP only in the leading edge and trailing edge areas and the rest is Injected Foam to keep it light.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
Old 12-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Jim Jackson

This is the Turnigy Charger from Unitedhobbies and
check out the Lipoly Batt.

Jim

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 AM
CHOMP

I have a home made zagi like flying wing built sturdy for full contact combat with my buddies. It weighs in at 25oz.

What brushless motor would you recommend for this hefty wing? I currently have some 3000mah 20C batteries I plan to use in the wing.

United Hobbies has great prices; is there a motor on their site that would work well in the application described above?

I have a Scorpion Motor (2221-8) in my T-Rex 450 Helicopter and I love it. So, I was looking at their motors and figured one of these two would be best to try:

Scorpion HK-2221-12 V2 (2580 KV)

Scorpion HK-2221-1630 V2 (1630 KV)

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Jim Jackson

Default Zagis

Take a look at this motor at Graysonhobbies and use 25A Esc.
I have 3 Zagis with the old 400 motor I need to up grade to brushless
We are flying the Stryker C and doing Combat.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...7b115c55ae4093
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Interesting Article on ZAGI web site.

Hi guys!

Been a long time no hear from me but, I have been very busy with other projects but, I have been flying all of my flying wings as well.

Here's the Link:
http://www.zagi.com/zagi-electric-wi...ooglhcpvvcf1f7

Write-Up:
================================================== ======
The 3100 kv 28 x 36 brushless inrunner was designed and custom crafted for maximum performance for the Zagi. An 11.1 LiPo battery will turn the 5X5 prop at 22,000 rpm at only of 30 amps in static testing. Unloaded in flight, the rpm is 20% higher and the current is 20% lower. That means longer flights with light-weight 2200 mAh batteries and a smaller 30 amp ESC. Higher 3600 to 4000 kv motors were tested and were found power hungry. They produced more heat than power. The amps measured from 40 to 65 amps but the rpm remained almost the same.
================================================== =====

Carlos
Old 10-12-2016, 05:54 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default My Zagi Flew again!

Guys,

After perhaps almost 2 years of not flying it, my beloved ZAGI wing came with me after working on it for about 3 hours early this morning with a couple modifications and improvements.

The Yellow Wing with the NAVY Markings is the ZAGI wing. The RED one is the heavier COMBAT Wing.

Combat XE-2 that is especially made for Li-POLY use (EPP Foam pre-cut for CG purposes) and the Zagi wing that comes with the plastic Fuse housing and you can slide things a bit. The Combat Wing (XE-2) is powered by a MEGA 16/15/-4-turn swinging the APC "E" 6X4 and at wide open it draws at 21.3 AMPs (when you place a brand "new" Thunder Power Pro-Lite 2100, 3-cell) and measured Propeller RPMs at 17,3000

The Zagi was converted over to Brushless in 2008 and it is both EPP and injected foam and is NOT made for COMBAT so, I placed a more dosile power system, the Himax HC2825-2300 inrunner with the exact same propeller! This power system draws a maximum of 17 AMPs at wide open with 15,800 RPMs at the propeller However, because it is 7oz. lighter than the Combat Wing it is pretty fast as well.

A few pictures!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Zagi flew again!

Guys,

Flew my Zagi all this week! It's amazing how much I am enjoying it.

Today for the first time, I used a 3-Cell, 1800mAH, 30C discharge Lithium Polymer battery pack and it was just fantastic how light it was without any issues on the Center-Of-Gravity!

A few pictures from Thursday, October 13th, 2016

Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

48" in the title of the thread caught my eye

Many months ago (maybe 18 or so) I was given a set of foam cores.
The guy couldn't tell me what the Wing was but said it was from America.

Long story short, I dragged them out and started work on them today. I have joined the halves and the wing measures 48"
It has a definite semi symetrical airfoil. I have laminated 2 x 3mm balsa to make ailerons and have inserted 2 x CF spars and have Laminate arriving early next week to skin the wing.
I will apply some stripes before covering with laminate. There is no pod so I need to fabricate a motor mount and haven't decided what motor to use yet. I have a spare 2836 950kV, a 2826 1150 kV and a 2830 1000kv that I am considering.
Also undecided on winglets or fences.
I have put a balsa strip along the trailing edge and will probably use laminate for the hinges.
Starting to look OK anyway.
I have called it the 'i Dunno' as I dunno what it is.
Photos later if anyone is interested.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Zagi @ KARS

Guys,

After perhaps several years, I finally came back to fly my models (at least my Wing models) at the KARS RC flying field.
KARS stands for
(Kennedy Space Center Athletic Recreational Sports)

I have been back but, just to scout the area and look around. However, on Friday, October 21st, 2016 I came determined to fly something here.

It was a very unique feeling flying here with all this isolation! I found myself alone and only human for miles!:p

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Zagi1.jpg (494.3 KB, 440 views)
Zagi2.jpg (396.4 KB, 443 views)
Zagi3.jpg (356.3 KB, 465 views)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:44 AM
spudandcat

That's so cool, I love the Zagi scheme!
my old XT is resting at the moment.