Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Reload this Page >

scratch build siemens-schuckert D.III dimescale XPS foam...

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

scratch build siemens-schuckert D.III dimescale XPS foam...

Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
dcwwcp

you think it's overkill floss? I'm all ears if you have an idea. I'm here to soak up all the constructive criticism I can get. I'm here to learn most of all.

good point scalercflyer. it's gonna need a few mods to lighten the rest of the fuse.it could probably be thinned out a bit.

I'm going to try to carbon fiber rods glued to .o25' wire ends for the ailerons as well as the elevator. might have too much flex on the ailerons though.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM
floss

Not really coz its at the right end, just make the rest of the fuselage thinner without the industrial strengthening. Can't stress enough how that weight in the rest of the fuselage will not be your friend in the end and a plane this size can't carry a big ball of lead up front, keep it wafer thin with as little adhesive as possible. Build to fly slow and light and the crashes won't be fast and heavy.

Enjoying the build and the detail going in to this dc, cheers.

Steve
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 AM
dcwwcp

well I got the notion to go ahead and mount the lower wing on the fuse. I need it on in order to mount the PZ brick and the aileron bellcrank. then I can attach the elevator/horizontal stab. and finish the linkage. I used a very thin layer of epoxy to mount the wing. I usd some 3M dual lock to mount the PZ brick and just plain ol' CA on the bellcrank.

lastnight I got the dremel back out and shaved the fuse out very thin and remove the inner support wall that was right at the back of the cockpit. it was way too thick and wasn't doing much anyway. I also lightened the motor mount a bit.

I'm trying to think of a way to attach the upper ailerons to the lower ones without using any metal wire and still have it work and look good...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 020.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	116909   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 021.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	116910  
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Linkage

d just use some carbon fiber rods hidden inside the scale linkage. marty
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 AM
dcwwcp

well made progress today.I finished the aileron linkage. carbon fiber had way too much twist in it.probably would not hold up in the wind. I ended up using .025" wire for the full length of the linkage. not too terrible much of a weight difference. the small pieces of heat shrink are shrunk to a specific size and glued at the aileron end and in the midway point of the linkage. then they are razor cut open. this makes the rods easily removeable without major surgery.

the elevator linkage is .030" CF. as you can see from the pics, I made the control horn myself, and the other end at the reciever is bent up to provide clearance above the aileron bell crank.

glued the top half of the fuse on and taped it in place. I also glued the tail and underwing body section.

here's a small video of the linkage functioning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSGhdDccEI

the green tape is of course temporary, until I'm satisfied with the alignment of the control surfaces/linkages.

probably need to do some painting before I put too much more on it right now.

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 053.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	117130   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 057.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	117131   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 059.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	117132   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 060.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	117133   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 065.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	117134  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 066.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	117135  

Last edited by dcwwcp; 01-02-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM
dcwwcp

now that the body is glued together I decidied to try and make the wing filets and some of the tail filets.
basically for the wing filets "eyeball it" by making some small pieces of 1mm depron for the main shape and then fill in the curves with light weight spackling. then sand down the whole mess. the tail section is just the spackling used like caulk to duplicate the pictures I've seen.

I did a bit of painting to see what it's going to look like. not bad, definitely still some roughness seen on the close up with the 'ol 5 megapixel camera, but good enough to fly around the gymnasium or baseball field
after I started painting I noticed I for got the hand holds below the cockpit and at the tail. then I thought I really should put panel lines on it if I can to make some attention away from the rough finish job.

I've been reading a thread at the aerodrome on the subject of SSW D.IIIs that flew to Switzerland and were "protected" with swiss markings so to speak. it is perfect information for my project. that place has been a geat source of reading for me.

so i decided to redo my skull and cross bones markings to look more like that of the pictures of the real plane. I'm using the markings of plane 8344/17 flown by arnold eger check out the thread :http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ai...itzerland.html

great pictures that peter fella has.

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 068.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	117432   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 072.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	117433   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 069.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	117434   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 073.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	117435   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 074.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	117436  

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 077.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	117437   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 078.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	117438  
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Nice looking build!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I've seen the trailers!!! When does the movie of it flying come out? LOL!!! Steve
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 AM
dcwwcp

good one steve. lol. are you insinuating I need to hurry up and get this thing in the air? "cause I agree.

did some more painting. still drying in the pictures. not the best paint job, but I can live with it. attached the rudder also. I like the way it came out.

started making a jig to make the spinner on the lathe. I have a little 9x20 metal lathe in my shop. most of my shop is actually set-up like a small machine shop. In retrospect, I should have made the fuselage on the lathe. live and learn.

the other thing I need to make is the "spider structure" that is in front of the engine. I had a piece of plastic in mind but I believe a simple pice of 1mm depron will be much easier to work with and lighter. its hard to tell what color to paint it. the original part was probably silver(metal)? but some pictures of the swiss marked planes show nothing but black. perhaps burnt caster oil is what color it ends up being ?

either way, after that , I think maybe I should cut the battery hatch and access panels. I have some really small magnets to possibly use to hold the panels on, but I don't know how well they will work yet. perhaps a tape and magnet combination, to make a flip open hatch.

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 079.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	117658   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 080.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	117659   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 081.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	117660   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 084.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	117661   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 083.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	117662  

Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Neat looking and rarely seen plane.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 AM
dcwwcp

thank you for the compliments dbcisco, allan flowers is the guy responsible for putting a fire in my belly to go for it. his 1/6 scale SSW D.III is the most amazing build thread that I've ever read. it's truly an inspiring plane.

it's an affliction for sure. the desire to want something very specific that is not available from the mass market. every hobby I'm into I end up that way.

small foam WWI scale planes, that's the latest addiction.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

What I love about WWI planes is that there are so many unique planes as compared to any other era. I am inspired by your build to tackle the Jenny peanut kit in the closet.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Addiction

WWI aviation is my addiction! Of course bustin' on a certain Texican is also sweet! Marty
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
7car7

Noticed you included the grab handles in your build - nice touch.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

dcwwcp- Yeah I'm just picking on you about the movie, or am I? LOL!! I just wanna see the tiny thing in the air!! I love the little planes but I have no access to indoor flying and it's usually windy here.

Marty- You'd better quit pickin' on me or I'm tellin' Mom!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Pick'in on you

Never, never! Ha,Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Marty
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 AM
dcwwcp

man I hope it goes in the air with the mustang motor! the power to weight ratio is going to be fairly close to scale by the time I get done!

thanks 7car7. yeah it just seemed plain without them. then when I started making the indentions in the foam I thought they were too big. but when I added the bit of carbon fiber for the actual handle it looked better. one of them, the right rear handle is just two separate indentations, with a small line of CA glue between them in advance to make a hard line. that was what I should have done on all of them. not as defined, but lighter.

I glued a round bit of foam to a steel rod and I'm going to throw it in the lathe tonight and see if I can get the spinner right.

you ever get those plans Marty?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Plans

Yeah d I got them. Thanks. Haven't got to them yet, been kinda busy. I still owe you a couple of sets in return. Just need to find some time........... Marty
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 AM
dcwwcp

good deal, glad to hear you recieved them. I'm not ready for more plans yet anyway marty.

started making the spinner. I used a foam circle cutter from foam works and then glued it to a very straight 1/4" dowel rod. then chucked it up in the lathe all the way butted up against the chuck. started the sanding with a painter's sanding block, then moved to 220. once the shape is finalized, 400 gritwill finish the sanding.

used 1mm depron to make the spider structure. wow what a pain that little piece turned out to be. didn't look right no matter what. finally made one that was acceptable. allan flowers posted in his thread that he had documentation that stated that the structure was dark green in color, so that's what I did.

I re-positioned the landing gear after realizing my holes and perhaps the ones on the plans were too high. I did some test fitting, shortened the gear about 3/16". still gives me 1/2" clearance on the prop.

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 090.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	117779   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 092.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	117780   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 093.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	117781  
Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

It's looking really good!!! I bet it will fly!! Steve
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 AM
dcwwcp

I decided that the next step was to make a service hatch and a battery compartment hatch. I plan to shoe-horn a 200 mAh battery in the front of this thing mainly because I've noticed a much better result in performance from the reciever(the brick) and the motor when a larger battery is used. larger meaning larger than the battery parkzone was providing with these componenets in stock form. having more head room on capacity actually seemed to have better discharge capapbility, resulting in consistently higher voltage during a longer portion of fly time.

anyway, the hatches are made by using two sets of micro magnets and a small piece of Blenderm tape. the tape is in the front of the hatch on both places, and the magnets are in the back of the hatch. this is to avoid the "hatch flinging open during flight" symptom that I believe would occur if I didn't do it the way I did.

I use a simple method for magnet placement, but somehow I still put one in the top hatch with the wrong polarity which I had to re-install. very annoying.

I sanded the tape after it was applied and then painted it hoping it would help conceal the tape, or flat out make it not look so ugly.

after this I believe I'm going to patch the old landing gear front strut holes and look at mounting the struts on the wing. still have to make the top wing removable for the top fuselage service hatch to be useful...

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 096.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	117839   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 097.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	117840   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 103.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	117841   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 104.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	117842   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 099.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	117863  

Last edited by dcwwcp; 01-10-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 AM
dcwwcp

mounted the struts this evening. man the day goes by fast when you have little ones to try and get ready for the first day of the school week.

the struts make a big difference! feels like it's been a long time coming.

the second shot shows the only modification I had to do forthe struts to line up. I mis-located the front slot for the cabanes just a bit, causing them to slope down in thefront. I looked closer at some pictures of the actual plane and noticed the slight angle at which the two points of attachment of the the cabanes are at. easily corrected though.

the third shot is mt attempt to show that the alignment is pretty good.

the rest of the shots are just to see what it's going to look like as a biplane. a tease. I am excited to see it.

the fifth picture needs a pilot in it don't you think?

the last shot is what I hope to be doing shortly.

things still left to do:

make mounting tabs and pins for top wing.

make ailerons on top wing

make and attach aileron connecting rods and control horns

attach landing gear

make 4 blade prop and doctor up it's appearance to look "wooden"

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 105.jpg
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	117917   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 106.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	117918   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 107.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	117919   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 110.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	117920   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 111.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	117921  

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 112.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	117922   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 113.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	117923   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III dimescale project 114.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	117924   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSWD.III egers swiss takeoff.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	117925  
Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
7car7

Dang, that's impressive! It's a very scary looking plane, quite serious looking.

btw, that front end (engine area, cowl) looks really good. That was time consuming.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 AM
dcwwcp

hey thanks man. I wish it looked better , but man I just got tired of messin' with it. at some time I just get to the point where I say to myself "good enough!"

yeah I figure that's why nobody has done the swiss markings. it has the black paint job with the skull and bones. I actually didn't believe that the pictures of it like that were accurate. Ive not seen any other swiss markings that looked like that.then I saw the pictures that were posted on the aerodrome. that's when I decided to make my jolly roger decals a bit more accurate. the originals are a bit scary looking.

probably work onn the top wing tonight.

~dcwwcp
Old 01-12-2010, 02:07 AM
IndyJones

Originally Posted by WWI Ace View Post
It's looking really good!!! I bet it will fly!! Steve

It's going to fly like a peed-off bumblebee!

Quick Reply: scratch build siemens-schuckert D.III dimescale XPS foam...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12467 seconds with 52 queries