Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Friends: (0)
Default Tri-phan - thrust vectoring tri-copter by monophan

This is a prototype that I designed during long drives of a recent road trip. It’s a combination of tri-copter and MonoPhan thrust vectoring technology. The purpose is to come up with the most stable EDF powered camera platform. The unit always stays level while the thrust vectoring takes care of all directional input. No tilting at any time. I also wanted to reduce the lateral resistance therefore wind drag by keeping it level.

Never packed this much electronics, mechanics and cables in such a tight space before. 35mm EDFs powered by an amazing Genace hardcase lipo which also act as the landing gear. It took me a couple of days to tune it well enough to fly. The smaller the harder… I believe the flight time is over 5 minutes.

It has interesting flight characteristics Will work on fixing some of the lose parts to get it to some higher speeds and test the maneuverability... Ignore the date on the video. This was taken today. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shS-MIpFUZ0
Old 08-06-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

I can totally see a laser gun mounted to that.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 08-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
I can totally see a laser gun mounted to that.
haha, I agree
Old 08-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #4
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

Re-assembled the unit fixing some lose parts. Flies like a charm. Not suitable for high winds and it is tiny but still beats the wind pretty well as seen in the video.

The flight time is AMAZING for a tiny EDF contraption I calculated over 7 minutes theoretical flight time, which means I can easily get more than 6:30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QB-Th0XgA4
Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

The maiden flight of the new 64mm TriPhan. It turned out to be a real beauty. Just wanted to hover a little bit and test the flight and the controls. Flies very well. Crash landed at the end of the flight due to hardware failure. I could swear it was ESC failure but then they didn’t even feel hot. When I got back I realized that the flight controller failed!!!

My first flight controller failure during a flight. Will replace and test again.

This unit is built to be a part of a larger project which I believe some will find very interesting. Hopefully I will make updates in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aK3uw8KO0U
Old 12-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

I had a “no-drama” second flight. The new calculated flight time is around 6 minutes. I tested hover stability, some maneuvers and see how it handles, avoiding flying too high, keeping in mind the last flight’s failed FC. It looks pretty good but a little funky on the controls. I would want it a little more responsive when I am harder on the sticks. So I did a little bit more PID tuning.

Below is the 3rd flight after PID. Better handling after the PID tune. A little bit of breeze today, good for the test. Lots of people and kids around, so I cut it short. I little more tuning and I think I am ready for some higher speeds at the larger section of the park Some nice closeups where you can see the fans change angle to control the unit. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JAHETxVfks
Old 12-03-2017, 03:09 AM   #7
VAALLEON
MONOPHAN

The last and a better flight with higher speeds. I reached the limit of the pitch stick once. Which means that I still have some more room to tilt the fans for higher speeds. I can keep on increasing the tilt angle and speed until I feel a significant altitude loss. I will probably go that route in the next couple of weeks and let you guys know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCfSIWSqo8

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft