Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-04-2017, 03:28 AM   #1
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)
Default Scary flight

That was totally scary.. My first out of sight mission.
I just sent my quad on a mission to the neighbours and back.
Now until you have done it you don't realize how bl**dy scary it is. Hoping all the time you got the waypoint settings correct
and then seeing it take off all by itself and head bush..
I had 7 waypoints in the mission and had it pause at a couple of them so I could see that it was behaving OK.
I sent it out to the road and then down the road to Tonys (neighbour) place, then over his house and then return up the road, divert into my paddock and land by itself.
It went without a hitch but my heart was racing when that quad disappeared out of my sight... LOL I ran out to the road and was relieved to see it coming back up the road and turning into my place. I must say I am enjoying having the pants scared off me....

Now before any mr do-gooder makes a comment, I live on 40 acres in the country and I can fly where I like.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (5)

Y'know, it's funny but there was a thread in one of these forum groups a couple of years back where the OP asked what the future of RC was. My reply was that we would no longer require transmitters, instead the "pilot" (and I use the term very loosely) would just program the flight path into the plane's on-board computer and it would do everything all by itself.

They thought I was crazy....

OK, I got my "drone licence"...
When does the season start and what Ammo can I use?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
formontoya

Friends: (0)

Yea, I have a quad as well that I run "missions" on and get 1/2 mile away on my farthest runs. It's nice to get out farther and then pan/tilt the camera for some good shots, but I don't really consider it flying. I have more fun with my planes, buggies and boats than I do running "missions" on the quad. Go throw on a FPV rig on one of the planes and it's extremely fun...the buggy, well, not so much. The perspective is just so low that I end up getting lost after I get 20ft away...not even thrown a camera setup on a boat yet but suspect the same results as the buggy.

But that quad coupled with a nice gimbal can take some of the best pictures and videos...absolutely rock solid in 15mph winds.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Old 12-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

I have FPV gear (Goggles etc) and I have a Runcam Eagle on the quad. My new 3 x axis Gimbal arrives tomorrow. I wiped out the last 2 x 2 axis ones. Hopefully I will get some nice shots 1080P shots/videos.
But, what I want to do is enjoy the FPV flight with the goggles but let the quad fly itself while I just watch.
I never had any luck with FPV on a quad. Like you I would poo myself after about 20 meters and rip the giggles off. LOL
Doing it this way I get the best of both worlds. I also have one of those Android phone receivers coming shortly so I and others can watch on my phone or laptop. I will let you know how that goes...

Flywheel, we are only on the cusp of technology. It is an amazing ride and I am quite happy to go along with it.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #5
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (5)

Panther...we are always on the cusp of technology! LOL

OK, I got my "drone licence"...
When does the season start and what Ammo can I use?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV