Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Maiden of the RMRC Chimeria,what a rush!!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:32 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default Maiden of the RMRC Chimeria,what a rush!!

Finally Maidened the Chimeria wing with EagleTree Vector flight controller. FPV camera and goggles ready to use but wanted to fly line of sight first. Launched by my good flying bud and in manual mode. She pulled hard to the left and took all right trim to even begin to stabilize. DANG!!!!! almost lost her several times by line of sight flying into the sun without my sunglasses on.

I put the goggles on and flew it a bit better FPV but still fought the left pull until i switched the ET Vector on to 2d-no hold mode. WOW, she leveled right out and flew rock steady even though it was gusty wind to 20mph+. I was getting used to her sluggish response and my spotter/launcher/friend said to switch to loiter mode. Glad he was there to encourage me to test the settings.

At 400 ft high,she did fairly tight circles and maintained altitude on her own loitering, I redirected her to fly closer to where I was and she continued to circle on her own. Switched back to 2d-nohold mode and flew for another 5 minutes. swooped in for a speedy landing[slightly hard] and put her away to further trim and balance her. This is my first experience of a stabilizer on a fixed wing. Loved it!

Only draw back is I was limited to the hell side of the field cause guys were sitting around talking on the fixed wing side of the field and called to complain I flew over them......Maidens are tuff enough without having to minimize your flight area WE just had a club meeting today at the field and i get the first to break a rule award.sheeeesh,go figure.

Next flight will be when I can use the whole field and should last at least 20+ minutes judging from my OSD readings. I will check the video from the DVR in my goggles and if it dosn't look to bad i will post it, but i'm sure it will cause
some air sickness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2350.JPG (554.1 KB, 193 views)
DSCN2354.JPG (477.5 KB, 285 views)
DSCN2356.JPG (541.8 KB, 281 views)
DSCN2351.JPG (521.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Nice one ....

As you know - it is generally advised yo trim out a model to 'clean flight' before using the stab. One of the reasons is that the stab then has maximum control in all axis without having to fight bad trim first. Trouble is we all relax and are less diligent with trim with stab fitted.

Originally I only used stabs on both performance 3D stuff - but now been fitting basic low gain rate modes to more models. Nothing to detract from my command, but just a help with wind etc and to assist level landings !

Nigel
Old 06-11-2017, 03:02 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

You are so right Nigel, I couldn't wait to maiden this wing any longer. It's always windy at the field and I fly in the worst of days when others pack it in. I had the issue in the begining of the flight that seriousely was close to crash at least 4 times. Your right about triming her out and I knew i should land her and check how bwd the trim was out. But dangit! She was doing great once i got control and ran her throught the differn't modes.

Today i am staying home to buy my wife's puppy a baby pool to splash in. Temps will be mid 90's for the next 3 days. Then i will go over 2 quads that need reprograming and check the Chimera all over to see whats causing the sever left hand turn. At least i know she flys and does so wonderfully. I was also very happy with the camera and OSD screen.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Want to get a good laugh, this is the fatshark dvr video of the maiden flight. It's trimmed down from 14minutes of programing the Vector to just the flight time. All loop and rolls during the first few minutes were completely unintentional and my vision was bad do to sun and not having sunglasses or the fpv goggles on.

Enjoy the crazy maiden but don't get airsick

https://youtu.be/JpdMJRPdQCk
Old 06-12-2017, 04:39 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

looks awesome

I have yet to have the courage to fly a wing FPV. I am afraid it will be to twitchy for me
Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Fish, Its actually easier to fly the wing because your not spinning on a dime like quads do. I like buzzing the field low and fast, I won't be aiming for gates any time soon at 80+mph with a 37inch epp wing.
Truth, my Crashtest Hobby Assassin wing is the best to fpv with right now in the hanger. She's fast and handles so nice in slow flight. With the foxeer OSD camera I can scream around WOT and not worry about the voltage left in the battery.

I'll post a video of the Assasssin but the windy conditions we fly in make for bouncy videos. I love watching them because I was the pilot. if I'm checking other pilots videos out, it would be dizzying to watch. Still, worth posting for some to glance at and turn off..lol
Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Id love to see that because as you know here in Wyoming if the wind is not blowing there is something wrong :-)

Last edited by Fishbonez; 06-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Here ya go then. This is recorded by the Fatshark Attitude vrs4 goggles dvr. Its exactly what I see and the Foxeer camera has a built in OSD to give voltage and flight time. Love this wing. I'll share this vid on the other thread by Lee from CTH.

https://youtu.be/vpE4dfDYyvU

https://youtu.be/OPBnsO7k_Ic

Last edited by tobydogs; 06-13-2017 at 03:27 AM.