Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

Battery Warning L.E.D

Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 PM
Nost

Default Battery Warning L.E.D

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can help, I’m after a way to send a “Low battery warning” signal back from a model aircraft to a receiver which has an L.E.D installed. So basically when the battery voltage drops to a pre set level on the aircraft it sends a signal to a receiver which then causes the L.E.D to light up to show “low battery”.

I'm not very good when it comes to electronics so hopefully you'll get the idea from the attached image of what I am trying to do.

Many thanks

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Battery warning.jpg (484.8 KB, 360 views)
Old 01-29-2016, 03:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Go to Hobby King ... they have the Quanum Battery Telemetry alarm :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...15Mhz_FM_.html

This provides a vibration alert but I am sure a little fiddling can use the unit to light up an LED ...

Just remember : 915Mhz is ok in USA but not in EU. In EU you need the 869.5Mhz which no surprise is a lot more expensive !!

Nigel
Old 01-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Nost

Hi Nigel,

Many thanks for your reply, but I am in the UK. Is there any way to get around it?

Also can you adjust the frequencies on these things as my friend is also interested in trying to do a low battery L.E.D indicator so I guess we will need two different frequencies other wise we wont know who's battery is low.

Many thanks

Mark
Old 01-29-2016, 04:22 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Any of the radios with telemetry....

Audio and vibration alarms for any detected parameter out of specified range.
All of them detect RX voltage, most detect main pack voltage with an adapter plugging into the battery.
Many will produce a log file for the flight.
(Took quite a search to find the software to read Spektrum's)

I move the Spektrum telemetry unit from plane to plane for at least a few flights to get some data about in flight RX voltages.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nost View Post
Hi Nigel,

Many thanks for your reply, but I am in the UK. Is there any way to get around it?

Also can you adjust the frequencies on these things as my friend is also interested in trying to do a low battery L.E.D indicator so I guess we will need two different frequencies other wise we wont know who's battery is low.

Many thanks

Mark
The units actually bind to each other so you can have literally a whole bucket load in same place but each will only respond to its matched part.

For UK ... the 869.5Mhz unit ... but like I say - its a lot more money !!

Reason is that EU has allocated 915Mhz for Mobile data comms use ... But to be honest ... it you are out at a flying field away from town etc. - who's going to know ? I have both units - basically I did not know 915 was illegal in EU ... when I found out - I bought the 869.5.

But ... DON'T get either wet !! I did and its been a pain drying and cleaning each time. Last outing was just snow got in ...

But they work really well. The clip on back suits a belt or the top part is for clipping to radio handle (metal rod type).

Nigel
Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I love the Quanum battery monitor, although it was on my third unit before I had the sense to tie it to the airplane.

I show the unit on 869.5 to be at $19.00 US from the international warehouse. My first 2 cost me around $28 each. I think they are a great value, if you don't have a telemetry system. They work at a lot longer range than I would have expected.

They have dropped the 915mhz unit for the US down to $5.00!, I am going to buy a couple for back up.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5Mhz_FM_.html

I also have the Larger Quanum unit, it works very well also and you can add amp and temp.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._mAh_V3_1.html
Old 01-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Nost

Thanks for the input guys, would it possible to remove the guts of the pager and place the hardware into a transmitter wired up to the transmitters power supplier with a L.E.D so it's all one unit, slick and self contained?

Mark
Old 01-29-2016, 05:14 PM
formontoya

While they seem to be a good idea I've always just used a timer that starts as soon as the throttle moves up. I've had "checkers" before and they just seemed to go off pretty regular from the start from just a heavy load on high throttle pulled the voltage down to the level. As soon as I let off the throttle the "checker" would stop. It just seemed to (for me at least) be more of a PITA for what it actually did. But hey, for $5 what the heck...
Old 01-29-2016, 05:25 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
While they seem to be a good idea I've always just used a timer that starts as soon as the throttle moves up. I've had "checkers" before and they just seemed to go off pretty regular from the start from just a heavy load on high throttle pulled the voltage down to the level. As soon as I let off the throttle the "checker" would stop. It just seemed to (for me at least) be more of a PITA for what it actually did. But hey, for $5 what the heck...
The Quanum unit has user selectable voltage alarm ... so you can set it to suit the model.
Timers are fine ... I use my Radios built in timer - but the Quanum is a good way to be sure regardless of throttle use ...

Nigel
Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nost View Post
Hi Guys,

Hoping you can help, I’m after a way to send a “Low battery warning” signal back from a model aircraft to a receiver which has an L.E.D installed. So basically when the battery voltage drops to a pre set level on the aircraft it sends a signal to a receiver which then causes the L.E.D to light up to show “low battery”.

I'm not very good when it comes to electronics so hopefully you'll get the idea from the attached image of what I am trying to do.

Many thanks

Mark
Out of curiosity, what size model airplanes are you flying? What receiver power would be suitable for a 200 Watt Foamie is a lot different from a $$$$ 3000 Watt giant scale electric powered model. Those larger $$$$ models really should have dual receiver power sources. That way, you have a dual battery along with separate receiver switches on each battery, connecting to the receiver with two DC supplies.

In any regard, one place that isn't wise to cut corners price wise is your receiver power system. For electric models up to perhaps 1500 Watts, the Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC's work well. I've got ten of them in my various models.

For the larger models, those LiFe or A123 battery packs will do the job. LiFe's and A123's are a direct drop in replacement for any receiver/servo system that can handle a five cell Nih battery pack.

If you're flying larger models, check this out:
http://hangtimes.com/a123_batteries_for_giants_faq.html

FYI, most of my club members have gone A123's for their 50 inch or larger model sizes. As I've posted way to many times in these web sites, A123's work quite well for receiver power. They are very efficient in the recharging process. If you pull 1000 Mah (Milliampere Hours) out of the battery, it will take 1050 Mah to recharge it.

Makes it easy to determine how much you're pulling out of the battery pack on each flight. I NEVER use more than 50% of the receiver battery durying any days flying for a safety factor of two. So, if your model takes 420 Mah for three flights, that is 140 Mah per flight. Using the 2500 Mah rating of the A123 cells, half of that is 1200 Mah for the 50% rule. Divide 1200 by 140 and it's safe to fly 8 flights between charging.

Your results can and will vary, you must run your own numbers. As an example, several of my club members are flying 150 cc gassers. And their receiver power is a pair of 2S2P (2 Series, 2 Parallel cells) A123 battery packs for a total of 10,000 Mah. It is overkill, but they will never have to worry about receiver power on their multi-thousand dollar models.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Out of curiosity, what size model airplanes are you flying? What receiver power would be suitable for a 200 Watt Foamie is a lot different from a $$$$ 3000 Watt giant scale electric powered model. Those larger $$$$ models really should have dual receiver power sources. That way, you have a dual battery along with separate receiver switches on each battery, connecting to the receiver with two DC supplies.

In any regard, one place that isn't wise to cut corners price wise is your receiver power system. For electric models up to perhaps 1500 Watts, the Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC's work well. I've got ten of them in my various models.

For the larger models, those LiFe or A123 battery packs will do the job. LiFe's and A123's are a direct drop in replacement for any receiver/servo system that can handle a five cell Nih battery pack.

If you're flying larger models, check this out:
http://hangtimes.com/a123_batteries_for_giants_faq.html

FYI, most of my club members have gone A123's for their 50 inch or larger model sizes. As I've posted way to many times in these web sites, A123's work quite well for receiver power. They are very efficient in the recharging process. If you pull 1000 Mah (Milliampere Hours) out of the battery, it will take 1050 Mah to recharge it.

Makes it easy to determine how much you're pulling out of the battery pack on each flight. I NEVER use more than 50% of the receiver battery durying any days flying for a safety factor of two. So, if your model takes 420 Mah for three flights, that is 140 Mah per flight. Using the 2500 Mah rating of the A123 cells, half of that is 1200 Mah for the 50% rule. Divide 1200 by 140 and it's safe to fly 8 flights between charging.

Your results can and will vary, you must run your own numbers. As an example, several of my club members are flying 150 cc gassers. And their receiver power is a pair of 2S2P (2 Series, 2 Parallel cells) A123 battery packs for a total of 10,000 Mah. It is overkill, but they will never have to worry about receiver power on their multi-thousand dollar models.
Denny ... think you may be a bit confused ... he's not talking to monitor Rx voltage ... he's talking to monitor power pack.

Nigel
Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Denny ... think you may be a bit confused ... he's not talking to monitor Rx voltage ... he's talking to monitor power pack.

Nigel
Yeah
I read the OP twice before my posting, and deducted he was discussing receiver power.

You're probably right
Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah
I read the OP twice before my posting, and deducted he was discussing receiver power.

You're probably right
I could well be wrong ... and you right.

I only went by his mentioning of a Rx for receiving the alarm to activate the LED.

Maybe OP will clear this up ? Which battery he's talking about ... main power battery or Rx battery.

Nigel
Old 02-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

They had the Quanums on special a couple of weeks ago @ $7 Australian each so I bought a couple. They do work very well. I was worried they might not be much better than those LED Beeper things you plug in to the battery but I need not have feared. They work very well. I gave one to my flying buddy and he loves it.
Darn good specials at Hobby King ATM. Planes better than half price etc.