Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S Owners thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 PM
fishycomics

Foul weather . no flites sure sux when you wait and wait and wait. SoI guess some look over. repairs and then hope for a better flyin day
Old 06-07-2015, 01:33 PM
fishycomics

long awaited time, to gotten failure to fly. well back to the drawing board. why she failed to fly. time is needed for repair no damage just failure to fly.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 PM
fishycomics

Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
fishycomics

Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 AM
fishycomics

gluing the board

videos of repairs not online so here are the one's I am doing while repairing

Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM
fishycomics

did my final repairs, but failed to load on one. and gotten to test out a flight but on low throttle. reopened changed out a prop shaft and I think I am in business when the right time permits will try again
Old 08-22-2015, 02:04 AM
PilotDane

I joined the forum almost 10 years ago with helicopters and lost interest in flying for a long time... and I just ordered a Sport Cub S today. I happened across a video on YouTube and wondered if I should give airplanes a try. Hopefully I can kick start some new activity in the thread and not need to watch the repair videos.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:18 PM
fishycomics

Originally Posted by PilotDane View Post
I joined the forum almost 10 years ago with helicopters and lost interest in flying for a long time... and I just ordered a Sport Cub S today. I happened across a video on YouTube and wondered if I should give airplanes a try. Hopefully I can kick start some new activity in the thread and not need to watch the repair videos.
participation goes a long way enjoy

Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 AM
PilotDane

My plane arrived today and I just finished flying two batteries with no damage. Little or no credit goes to my flying ability but it's light weight, durability and flying over grass spared it during my many crashes. Some were ugly landings and a few were classic stall/spins while low and slow.

---
I did not make the connection until now. I had watched your videos before purchasing the Sport Cub S. While they showed a broken plane they convinced me that it was easy to repair and keep flying. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 AM
PilotDane

I was in intermediate mode and it was either beginner dumb thumbs or dying batteries in the transmitter but my little cub did a half throttle nose dive into hard ground. Both wings cracked at the root of the ailerons about 2/3 of the way through the wings... and I was still able to fly it for the rest of the day. At home some epoxy and little snippets of fiberglass brought it back and stronger than ever. It's a wee thing but boy can it take the abuse and keep going.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 AM
fishycomics

Originally Posted by PilotDane View Post
I was in intermediate mode and it was either beginner dumb thumbs or dying batteries in the transmitter but my little cub did a half throttle nose dive into hard ground. Both wings cracked at the root of the ailerons about 2/3 of the way through the wings... and I was still able to fly it for the rest of the day. At home some epoxy and little snippets of fiberglass brought it back and stronger than ever. It's a wee thing but boy can it take the abuse and keep going.
not good to pick it up and fly again especially damaged like that, pressure against the wing could have torn it all off and crashed it again. I rather inspect and fix then just pick up an fly

tx bat low means loss of distance in a heart beat
Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 PM
PilotDane

Thank you for the warning/words of wisdom. At it's price point, light weight, no bystanders or damageable property anywhere I erred a bit on the risky side. I normally fly at home but at the time I was away so there was some cost/benefit and I decided to get in a couple more batteries. The wing withstood "normal" flight without further damage but I doubt it would have survived aerobatics or a crash.

The big kernel of knowledge is about the Tx battery. My inexperience made me think the first warning/glitch was just my dumb thumbs. The next time it happened it was much more severe and the plane was over a soybean field. I ran toward the plane and got it turned back to me to minimize the walk of shame. The beans provided a great cushion for a emergency landing with broken wings. After that I packed it up for the day. If that had happened over hard ground the plane could have been damaged.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 AM
PilotDane

If anyone is curious how Cubs one and two in the Hobby Zone lineup compare here are some pictures comparing the Hobby Zone Sport Cub S (little number one) and the Park Zone Sport Cub (medium number two). Unfortunately I don't have the E Flite Carbon Z Cub (big number three).

Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM
fishycomics

what about the Super cub Lp its a hair smaller 48 incher or the mini cub a 36 incher Lol thanksfor the comparisons
Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 PM
PilotDane

I wish I had the budget to get the entire family together for a photo.

---
I think I'm still a few weeks away from flying big red. I ordered the plane, tx, batteries... from all over so it's going to take a while for everything to arrive. Mean time I'm still loving the little blue Sport Cub S and the ability to fly in my yard. It was a handful at first when I took it out of trainer mode but I can see my skill slowly progressing.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:34 PM
coyote3

Default Love the sport cub s

I have two of the sport cub s (one with floats one without) my dad has one and we both fly the heck out of them such a fun aircraft
Old 09-12-2015, 05:22 PM
fishycomics

not loving my SCS lol, reasons newest motor is so weak panic fails to work
Old 09-12-2015, 05:41 PM
coyote3

I called horizon hobbies they sent me a bnf scs and a new motor free of charge
Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 PM
fishycomics

and these motor are the same issue over and over and over....
Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM
PilotDane

How long can I expect these little brushed motors to last? I have a complete spare plane but not an individual spare motor and wondering how routine motor replacement might be.

At first I wasn't worried about motor life. I thought I'd crash and destroy the plane long before the motor would be an issue but I've been flying a couple batteries at first light when the weather permits before work and then there are the weekends. Last weekend was too windy for me to risk a bigger plane so I flogged the little blue Cub. Occasionally at full throttle just to hold position, trying to see how long I could hold it together before doing the walk of shame.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:21 AM
fishycomics

no one knows4-5 hour rated time?

I got my original I got my spare my board is gonne on my original but not the motor so I may swap things around. I tried a champs motor toooooo short a power lead, not enough power ware house motor next, not sure 12.00 while they sell for 7.00 hmmmm

Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 AM
Davjed

Default Sport cub s board repair

Anyone here familiar with repairing motherboards in this little kitten? I have one that won't bind. When powered up, then red led flashes slowly like it is ready to bind but it will not recognize my DX6i. Also when powered up and sitting, there is no servo noise as the GPS initiates. Any suggestions. A new board cost almost $60.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Davjed

OK, so no one knows about fixing boards, has anyone tried replacing this $60 board with a cheaper one from another manufacturer. I've seen a couple in the $15-$20 range that might work. Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2016, 06:39 PM
obrien135

Default Intermediate mode difficulty's

I purchased a sport cub back in JUly 2016 and have been enjoying it tremendously. I don't know if it is operator error or a defect in the plane cuased by a crash. I have a slight case of Parkinson's so it might be me, but I can't seem to control it at all in the intermediate mode. If it's the plane, I may have fixed it by reglueing the motor, although that didn't seem to coincide with the original malfunction (if is is a malfunction and not my clumsy operating skills). BUt I am reluctant to try it again in the intermedite mode because all the attempts and retesting in the intermediate mode has nearly destroyed the cub. I am wondering if I would be better off resigning myself to just using the safe mode all the time because money is an object and I can't afford to destroy it. Any suggestions?