Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

BELL X-1 scratchbuild and flight

Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
pcm10xmode

Default BELL X-1 scratchbuild and flight

Doing a shuttle was fun, but needing a new adrenalin rush, decided to build a rocket powered Bell X-1 and drop from a transport, let it glide down, nose it up and flip the switch.

Now, if the project goes in the wrong direction, you could lose a battery, esc, receiver, and three servos. Since I lack artistic ability, I decided to build a profile X-1, quick and dirty, no painting, and try it. Lots of unknowns.

Size limits are based on transport so I chose a wing 23", length of 20, and a fuse height of 3 1/2". The elevator moving surface is 3/4" wide and the ailerons 1". Used a small carbon rod to re-enforce the wing and elevator from bending. Where to put the wing? Did a weight/balance and stuck the wing CG ? 9 " from nose.
Since the propellant weight(burning off) reduces by 23.8 grm (.84 oz), knew I had a CG shift.

Next, I had to figure the model rocket engine I would use. I ended up choosing the ESTES D12-0.

1) It need to be plugged (no ejection charge)
2) Max lift weight is 14 oz.
3) Max thrust is 7.4 lbs
4) From the Estes chart the thrust duration is 1.4 seconds where it goes from zero to 7.4 lbs of thrust in 0.35 sec. Then it drops off rapidly, then producing some thrust for about 1 sec.

Finding a ESTES model rocket in the catalog that duplicated the same weight and thrust, the rocket should go over 400 ft high. Having more drag, I figure 350 ft.

Now the firing mechanism. If I bring it to the club field, it has to be fool proof. I don't want a misfire either.

So I decide to use a servo and use 1 cell of a 3s lipo battery(4 volts). The set up is as follows.
Using copper telephone wire, ran one lead directly off the battery to the back of the plane to the igniter (for time of fire, just twist wrap wire to igniter wire. No solder or anything so if rocket motor fall out, I still have control of model.
The other lead comes off the lipo and goes to a strip(soldered) of electrical lead and hot glued to fuse. A servo has the electrical lead hot glued to the servo arm (soldered to telephone wire back to the igniter)
The servo is controlled by the GEAR SWITCH. The servo arm is up on safe, flip the switch to the back and (after adjusting ATV and movement of servo arm) to insure arm(has metal meeting metal) applies pressure to the fuse completing the circuit and ignites. I flip the gear switch off immediately to insure the lipo cell doesn't short circuits. See pics.

After putting all this together, you can see the CG was off, so I had to add a leading edge for more lift and change the CG. This was accomplished by a number of chucks to finally the nose started down before the tail did. I added a black strip on the right wing to help orientation in the air. Look at pic 2.

When the rocket fuel burns out, it spits out the front and you can see it did some melting. Reduced it by covering it with tuck tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmXH61g-NXU

After the first firing, now have done 3 firings where I am actually trying to control it during the ignition. Hard to do when total ignition time is 1.7 seconds. The only thing I would love to know is the "G forces" on the plane. Think it goes up 300-350 ft?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bell x-1 - Copy.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	179116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell x-1 001.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	749.6 KB
ID:	179117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell x-1 004.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	179118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell x-1 002.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	179119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell x1 002.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	781.1 KB
ID:	179120  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell x1 003.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	179121  

Last edited by pcm10xmode; 01-11-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Porcia83

I've used an aluminum tape before that I think might work better than the duct tape to protect the foam from melting. It's light stuff, I think the HVAV guys use it, got mine at Lowes, have some left over too.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
pcm10xmode

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
I've used an aluminum tape before that I think might work better than the duct tape to protect the foam from melting. It's light stuff, I think the HVAV guys use it, got mine at Lowes, have some left over too.
That's a good point. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Ronald86

Originally Posted by pcm10xmode View Post
Doing a shuttle was fun, but needing a new adrenalin rush, decided to build a rocket powered Bell X-1 and drop from a transport, let it glide down, nose it up and flip the switch.

Now, if the project goes in the wrong direction, you could lose a battery, esc, receiver, and three servos. Since I lack artistic ability, I decided to build a profile X-1, quick and dirty, no painting, and try it. Lots of unknowns.

Size limits are based on transport so I chose a wing 23", length of 20, and a fuse height of 3 1/2". The elevator moving surface is 3/4" wide and the ailerons 1". Used a small carbon rod to re-enforce the wing and elevator from bending. Where to put the wing? Did a weight/balance and stuck the wing CG ? 9 " from nose.
Since the propellant weight(burning off) reduces by 23.8 grm (.84 oz), knew I had a CG shift.

Next, I had to figure the model rocket engine I would use. I ended up choosing the ESTES D12-0.

1) It need to be plugged (no ejection charge)
2) Max lift weight is 14 oz.
3) Max thrust is 7.4 lbs
4) From the Estes chart the thrust duration is 1.4 seconds where it goes from zero to 7.4 lbs of thrust in 0.35 sec. Then it drops off rapidly, then producing some thrust for about 1 sec.

Finding a ESTES model rocket in the catalog that duplicated the same weight and thrust, the rocket should go over 400 ft high. Having more drag, I figure 350 ft.

Now the firing mechanism. If I bring it to the club field, it has to be fool proof. I don't want a misfire either.

So I decide to use a servo and use 1 cell of a 3s lipo battery(4 volts). The set up is as follows.
Using copper telephone wire, ran one lead directly off the battery to the back of the plane to the igniter (for time of fire, just twist wrap wire to igniter wire. No solder or anything so if rocket motor fall out, I still have control of model.
The other lead comes off the lipo and goes to a strip(soldered) of electrical lead and hot glued to fuse. A servo has the electrical lead hot glued to the servo arm (soldered to telephone wire back to the igniter)
The servo is controlled by the GEAR SWITCH. The servo arm is up on safe, flip the switch to the back and (after adjusting ATV and movement of servo arm) to insure arm(has metal meeting metal) applies pressure to the fuse completing the circuit and ignites. I flip the gear switch off immediately to insure the lipo cell doesn't short circuits. See pics.

After putting all this together, you can see the CG was off, so I had to add a leading edge for more lift and change the CG. This was accomplished by a number of chucks to finally the nose started down before the tail did. I added a black strip on the right wing to help orientation in the air. Look at pic 2.

When the rocket fuel burns out, it spits out the front and you can see it did some melting. Reduced it by covering it with tuck tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmXH61g-NXU

After the first firing, now have done 3 firings where I am actually trying to control it during the ignition. Hard to do when total ignition time is 1.7 seconds. The only thing I would love to know is the "G forces" on the plane. Think it goes up 300-350 ft?
nice kit. scratch and build is not so easy job.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 PM
chrisudy

You could also try the Estes D11-P (plugged) motor - no forward burn through.
http://cart.amwprox.com/index.php?op...=43&Itemid=470

Chris
Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM
pcm10xmode

The D11-P allows for only 6 oz. for max lift weight. Plane is too heavy.
Thanks!!!

Just finished mount system on my transport, now will be able to drop, glide down and then fire. Will have to wait until snow is gone.

I also set it up to drop balsa gliders so i can do it by myself. Should be fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	transport release 009.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	179418  
Old 01-31-2015, 06:57 PM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by pcm10xmode View Post
The D11-P allows for only 6 oz. for max lift weight. Plane is too heavy.
Thanks!!!

Just finished mount system on my transport, now will be able to drop, glide down and then fire. Will have to wait until snow is gone.

I also set it up to drop balsa gliders so i can do it by myself. Should be fun.
Why...we can plow!

Looking good!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:10 AM
mrbeer

I've used an aluminum tape before that I think might work better than the duct tape to protect the foam from melting