Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

EPO Formosa II

Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Eh? We need to wake you up earlier. I was at the 114th from 7:00 to 8:30 Saturday AM and it was stunning. Warm and not a breath of wind. I flew the Eraze and Four star both.

Mike
Mike,

I stopped going there on Saturday mornings due to the Heli mafia. Seems like they have the field till about 1PM now. What kills me about them is that it's such a serial event. One guy takes up a gasser heli with 10min+ flight time. Then, the next guy They dare fly two at the same time. I get that part with the 3D heli flying they do but with us Junior Varsity fixed-wing guys, we can have several planes up at the same time. A little more effecient from a field management standpoint.

By the time I got around to loading up my gear, the wind had picked up to 15. I'm not good at fighting it. Sunday was worse- windwise. I plan on going to the 3DHS fly-low-in event this weekend. Just to observe and learn. Maybe win a cupie doll in the raffle !

Best,

Hawk
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Dave your plane is looking great, Your LG is Out for delivery today Take care and have fun, Chellie

Carrier:US Postal ServiceTracking number:9500110114483102440404Status: Out for Delivery
The shipment is out for delivery to its destination.

Cheliie,

I'm encouraged. Thanks for the 1,694th and 1,695th times ! Timing is perfect. I'm now down to the decals and you got it, the LG. Really looking forward to recieving. I'll send you a ticket and you can maiden her for me !

Since I already have the cheapie cowl screwed in, I'll give the 1:1 thrust line a go. Can make adjustments later by adding nylon spacers to the top stand-offs.

Pretty disturbing news coming out of Boston.

Dave(Hawk)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Mike,

I stopped going there on Saturday mornings due to the Heli mafia. Seems like they have the field till about 1PM now. What kills me about them is that it's such a serial event. One guy takes up a gasser heli with 10min+ flight time. Then, the next guy They dare fly two at the same time. I get that part with the 3D heli flying they do but with us Junior Varsity fixed-wing guys, we can have several planes up at the same time. A little more effecient from a field management standpoint.

By the time I got around to loading up my gear, the wind had picked up to 15. I'm not good at fighting it. Sunday was worse- windwise. I plan on going to the 3DHS fly-low-in event this weekend. Just to observe and learn. Maybe win a cupie doll in the raffle !

Best,

Hawk
They don't show up until 9, 9:30 that is why I go at 7am. I had the field alone. Mark showed up at 8:00a or so. He is happy to share. I am done and back home by a decent hour and have the rest of the day. In the summer it is also much more enjoyable. It also tends to be less windy - as I said there wasn't even enough wind to detect. Try it early - many advantages.

I wish I could go the the 3DHS fly-in - this will be my first miss. A fun event with some very talented pilots. Hope someone shows up not much chatter on the threads. The event really outgrew us and our tiny city park field. I am shocked Ben wanted to try again.

Mike
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

http://youtu.be/utDVCqerqgY

40 sec. 360 walk-around showing progress. Decals and LG tomorrow. Really impressed with Chellie's LG. Very light yet strong. Very high quality. Feels more like Magnesium than Aluminum. With a 30 deg forward rake, I should have no trouble with nose overs on grass. Juryrigged some axles. Not the best set-up but will save me a trip to Roys.

Now for the correct prop. I have a 10x 7e or 10 x 5 APC at my disposal. With the 920KV / 570watt motor and according to HURC, I think I could prop up to 11x7 or 12x6 for max thrust. I do have 50amp ESC installed with this motor. Whaddya think ?

Onward ... Relieved this build is coming to a close.

-Hawk
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Just read through this entire thread and this stuff looks interesting. I am eagerly awaiting everyones results. This plane also has sparked my interest so good luck with everyones maidens.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hey Fish,

Are you back in WY? Great to see you here. I got interested in this plane while looking for something inexpensive, aerobatic, not necessarily 3D, to recycle some of the parts (motor, esc, servos, etc) I had laying around. And why did I have surplus parts? "Aw forgetaoutit ! "

Didn't know much if anything about Pattern ships or Pattern flying for that matter. They were the predecessor to 3D back in the 70's & 80's and the sport and this style of precision and disciplined aerobatic flying is still active in some circles. Less so, since the advent of 3D. Doesn't mean I have to get a mullett haircut and wear bellbottoms. I'm just starting to read up on the different levels of F3A and some of the maneuvers.

So for $50.00 and $5.00 shipping from HeadsupRc, why not give her a whirl ? It's been an interesteing build not without adventure along the way. The folks on this thread have been a big help. Hats off to Bubsteve, rcers, Chellie, CR, LPatirck,TopSpin , Slow John. Sorry if I missed anyone.

It's a kit. When it arrived, I was initially disappointed. Then I told myself: " Self? this is 50 bucks, whaddya expect?" The good part is the 5 main EPO foam pieces are very nice. The bad part is the useless assortment of unneeded plastic pieces, the POS LG and the cheapie cowl. I researched some of the mods made here and over on RCG before starting. Now that I'm near completion and after alot of putzing around with this thing, I'm happy with the way it turned out. But of course, the proof will be in the flying.

From the flying standpoint, she's got great reviews. Everyone seems to like it.

I'll report on maiden soon. THe 3DHS guys are coming to town this weekend and the last thing I want to do is maiden the Mosa in front of some legendary 3D pilots. Maybe I can get Ben from 3DHS to trim her out for me.

Hows your squadron?

Cheers,

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 04-17-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey Fish,

Are you back in WY? Great to see you here. I got interested in this plane while looking for something inexpensive, aerobatic, not necessarily 3D, to recycle some of the parts (motor, esc, servos, etc) I had laying around. And why did I have surplus parts? "Aw forgetaoutit ! "
Hawk
Not yet but I shall be returning soon. I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums and I think I have created so many future projects in my head that I think I will need 10 winters and a lot of time to complete and remember them all

Didn't know much if anything about Pattern ships or Pattern flying for that matter. They were the predecessor to 3D back in the 70's & 80's and the sport and this style of precision and disciplined aerobatic flying is still active in some circles. Less so, since the advent of 3D. Doesn't mean I have to get a mullett haircut and wear bellbottoms. I'm just starting to read up on the different levels of F3A Pattern and some of the maneuvers. From the flying standpoint, she's got great reviews. Everyone seems to like it.

Hawk
Dont feel bad I am clueless but they look llike neat planes and very inexpensive
So for $50.00 and $5.00 shipping from HeadsupRc, why not give her a whirl ? It's been an interesteing build not without adventure along the way. The folks on this thread have been a big help. Hats off to Bubsteve, rcers, Chellie, CR, LPatirck, Pattern, Slow John. Sorry if I missed anyone.

It's a kit. When it arrived, I was initially disappointed. Then I told myself: " Self? this is 50 bucks, whaddya expect?" The good part is the 5 main EPO foam pieces are very nice. The bad part is the useless assortment of unneeded plastic pieces, the POS LG and the cheapie cowl. I researched some of the mods made here and over on RCG before starting. Now that I'm near completion and after alot of putzing around with this thing, I'm happy with the way it turned out. But of course, the proof will be in the flying.
Hawk
Heck ya and looks like a fun build and I am lousy at scratch building you know that because the Denver Bronco Dart turned into a comoplete disaster so I am looking into some kits to try and screw them up
I'll report on maiden soon. THe 3DHS guys are coming to town this weekend and the last thing I want to do is maiden the Mosa in front of some legendary 3D pilots. Maybe I can get Ben from 3DHS to trim her out for me.

Hows your squadron?

Cheers,

Hawk
I say go for it what an opportunity to learn from the best. As far as my hanger goes I am planning on purchasing a new DX8 but I have not convinced my wife that it is a good idea yet, maybe with the extra money I earned over here in Afghanistan and after ensuring my daughter has another year in college and if there is enough left over I may get started on all the crazy, looney builds I have in mind
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Fish,

Thanks for going over there for us ! Last time I checked, they were not selling condo's yet. Hurry home ! You have saome RC flying to catch up on !

-Hawk
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Okay,

Gear mounted. Down to the GWS decals. Are they peel-off or waterslide?

Thanks,

Hawk
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Mosa' Looking Good Hawk!

Chellie did a good job on your LG, bit of bling!

My decals were peel & stick.

BTW I'm kinda liking that nose cone color.....Crimson-esque!!

waitin' on maiden'

cr
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I may have to take her to SEFF againShe packs well the wing off
bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_408.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	167894  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Default Mosa is a wrap

CR,

Yes, the Crimson Cowl was in your honor-

Well, she's finsihed. at least for now. My decals had to be soaked. What a PITA. Now I know why most people paint theirs. bubsteve gets the prize for best looking Mosa !

Here she is, ready for maiden, except I think I'm going with a bigger prop.

Probably continue to add a few cosmetic touches here and there. Not 100% happy with the axle rig I made.

Need to balance . Will use the 90mm from LE chord dimension. Suspect she will not be tail heavy.

Front View

Rear view

Projected view

Yes, Chellies gear turned out great. I'd highly recommend this set-up for anyone thinking of a Mosa kit or any other plane that could use a gear upgrade. The stock GWS LG is a POS. I'd hand launch only withough Chellie's LG.

A lot more "sweat equity " in this plane then I had thought would be required. Guess I've gotten spoiled on arf's lately- Makes it more painful when they crash after spending so much time getting to know each other.

Final upgrades ?

1). Big @$$ 575 watt 950KV motor w/ 50 amp esc
2). Servos located inside fuse-Thanks bubsteve !
3). 2mm piano wire for the long runs.- Overkill
4). Lipo cabin moved to top deck in front of cockpit
5). swivel hinged lipo cabin hatch added
6) upgraded hinges throughout
7). Nav lights - port , starboard and tail
8) Better tail wheel setup
9). Chellie's LG- a huge plus !

Now to keep my eyes on the weather. Weds and Thurs look bad but Friday, when the 3DHS boys arrive ? Naw

TopSpin, Slow John, you guys are slacking off ! Show us your builds...

All the best !

-Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 04-17-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

That Looks Great Dave Just keep it under 100 MPH Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie ! I'll be thinking 1/2 throttle- Not. Probably should go up a few notches on the prop though , don't ya think with this motor? @ 100 mph, I think this plane would fall apart. Would add more drama to my already dramatic rc flying career.

Looking at the gear reminds me of a FW-190. A little funky but I like it and I think it will help on grass. Most of the pattern ships I've seen don't have a forward rake at all but then again this is a light foamy, not a 2 meter job.

Best,

Dave
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

CR,

Yes, the Crimson Cowl was in your honor-

Well, she's finsihed. at least for now. My decals had to be soaked. What a PITA. Now I know why most people paint theirs. bubsteve gets the prize for best looking Mosa !

Here she is, ready for maiden, except I think I'm going with a bigger prop.

Probably continue to add a few cosmetic touches here and there. Not 100% happy with the axle rig I made.

Need to balance . Will use the 90mm from LE chord dimension. Suspect she will not be tail heavy.

Front View

Rear view

Projected view

Yes, Chellies gear turned out great. I'd highly recommend this set-up for anyone thinking of a Mosa kit or any other plane that could use a gear upgrade. The stock GWS LG is a POS. I'd hand launch only withough Chellie's LG.

A lot more "sweat equity " in this plane then I had thought would be required. Guess I've gotten spoiled on arf's lately- Makes it more painful when they crash after spending so much time getting to know each other.

Final upgrades ?

1). Big @$$ 575 watt 950KV motor w/ 50 amp esc
2). Servos located inside fuse-Thanks bubsteve !
3). 2mm piano wire for the long runs.- Overkill
4). Lipo cabin moved to top deck in front of cockpit
5). swivel hinged lipo cabin hatch added
6) upgraded hinges throughout
7). Nav lights - port , starboard and tail
8) Better tail wheel setup
9). Chellie's LG- a huge plus !

Now to keep my eyes on the weather. Weds and Thurs look bad but Friday, when the 3DHS boys arrive ? Naw

TopSpin, Slow John, you guys are slacking off ! Show us your builds...

All the best !

-Hawk
Looks awesome I Dig it
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Fish,

The addiction must be tough to deal with over there. You have access to a sim? How about they let you fly the Predator around ? Just kidding. Hey, I found a new online HS that looks promising. Low shipping costs. Veteran owned (Navy guy). They have your Stinger: http://www.motionrc.com/about-us/

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks Fish,

The addiction must be tough to deal with over there. You have access to a sim? How about they let you fly the Predator around ? Just kidding. Hey, I found a new online HS that looks promising. Low shipping costs. Veteran owned (Navy guy). They have your Stinger: http://www.motionrc.com/about-us/

Cheers,

Hawk
The addiction is murder for me right now thankgoodness for Wattflyer my Phoenix sim and my realFlight sim and MQX or I would be going bonkers During my freetime I think I have purchased in my head 10 planes already. Good thing my memory is not to good or I would have an entire warehouse of planes and one angry wife
Thanks for the link these folks definitly get my business. Anything to help out our vets is always a good thing.
Good luck with you maiden I am looking forward to the video
You need to get TS and SJ motivated to get on theirs
However Top Spin take care of those eyes!!
Slow John we are standing buy!!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Okay Gentlemen and Lady,

If I had to pick someone to maiden my Formosa II besides Chellie then it would have to be Ben Fisher, owner of 3DHS. I'll post the entire weekend Fly-in-low experience including me winning a 3DHS Super Vyper in the Saturday raffle in another thread somewhere.

Here's Ben and me:

Here she is on the ground. Ben really like Chellie's gear !

Initially had a 10x 7E on her but Ben recommended we switch to a 12 x 6 for more watts. So he gave me one to put on. Then we took her out to runway :
http://youtu.be/-nkY9pGOKKc

It's only 51 seconds long and that's all it took for Ben to make one pass and 2 clicks of trim. Brought it down and said" Here ya go !" He really likes the Mosa and coming from him that's encouraging to me. I later flew it myself briefly but the wind was getting way too stiff for me. All weekend long it was +15.

What an honor. Having my plane trimmed but a cult leader in 3D and Sport aerobatic airplanes.

Some more time on the Mosa and my next step will be the Vyper. The Vyper is a cross between a pattern and 3D plane. Does each kind of maneuvers pretty good but not one really great. Will take my time on this . One smash up with balsa and it's usually " Good night Irene !"

Probably my best weekend of not much flying I ever had. What a demonstration these guys put on.

Cheers.

Hawk
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Dave Very nice flight The Landing Gear worked out great, No Nose over on Landing Glad Ben Liked the Landing gear Now the Question Is ? Which One Is Cuter, The Plane Or Dave ? Hmmmmm I am Kind of Leaning Towards the Formosa II LOL, Ok Just Kidding

Name:	daveandben.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	168020   Click image for larger version

Name:	photofj.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	168021  
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Hawk, that is awesome!

cr

EDIT:

LMAO @ fISH!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hawk, you got Photo bombed LOL

Last edited by Fishbonez; 04-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Heck Ya!!!!! bubsteve
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie ! I'll be thinking 1/2 throttle- Not. Probably should go up a few notches on the prop though , don't ya think with this motor? @ 100 mph, I think this plane would fall apart. Would add more drama to my already dramatic rc flying career.

Looking at the gear reminds me of a FW-190. A little funky but I like it and I think it will help on grass. Most of the pattern ships I've seen don't have a forward rake at all but then again this is a light foamy, not a 2 meter job.

Best,

Dave
Hi Dave Just a Pic of My HD Custom Aluminum Profile Landing Gear, The Last LG You will ever have to Buy LOL
I use Allen Cap Screws,Lock Nuts and Washers for a slop free install, The Wheels have to be drilled out a Tad to fit the Axle screws, I sent you some axle screws today, and marked the Package USA so it does not get sent to Africa Again Take care and Have fun, Chellie

Name:	LG 006.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	168094   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG 005.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	168095   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG 003.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	168096   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG 004.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	168097  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 04-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Well, it took some Macgyvering since my drill is in a storage locker but I was able to wallow-out the both the holes in the wheels and the LG frames to mount the new hardware Chellie sent me. Exacto knives, screws, etc. I had previously rigged a less than perfect solution. They are mounted sturdy now. No wobble. Roll true.

This new Mosa-gear by Chellie is great ! I'm very happy how they turned out. Chellie's a great engineer. With the 30 deg forward rake, there are no nose overs on grass. Lightweight and Strong. 1000% better than stock. Should be sold as a gear kit option with the plane from headsup. Chellie-gear. Just a thought. So now I need to find another plane in need of a LG mod.

Last edited by dahawk; 05-01-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Glad you Like The LG and Axle Set up Dave I struggled with the LG on my GWS Corsair and other Planes that Have Cheapy LG, and I have bought Plastic profile LG that Breaks on the 2nd or 3rd Landing, Heck with That Noise, I got tired of wobbly, weak LG, Soooo, I Know How to Make it Better and Stronger with out adding to much weight and i did Make it Better and Stronger LOL ,Take care and have fun, Chellie

Quick Reply: EPO Formosa II

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12402 seconds with 20 queries