ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

T28 Trojan

Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Thanks beaven, i think ill just order a horizontal stabilizer becuase its in about 5 pieces. Ill just glue the wing on like u said, although will 'No More Nails' do the trick? It's not the pins on the wing brace that are broken, it's the bit with the screw, it just got smashed to pieces when it flew through that tree. Lol. The wings also a bit dented along the edges but ill level those out with white electrical tape. The tail completely snapped off, however its glued back on straighter than before with 'No More Nails', (that's why i mentioned it before, plus it's white and dries white). I'll stuff the F-27 idea, the Trojan has only ever been a loyal plane to me, it's the pilot thats the fault of the crash . Can't wait to get her back up flying.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
beavenx5

I don't know about "no more nail". I have never seen the product. Just make sure it is a foam safe glue. Many Cyanoacetate (CA glue) are NOT foam safe and will melt the foam. If you are not sure, just test a drop or two inside the fuselage where it won't matter if you melt the foam a little.
I use 5 minutes epoxy because I like the thickness of epoxy better than foam safe CA glues for this kind of job. Epoxy has always worked for me on my foam planes (Supercub and T-28) and make the repairs stronger than before. Next time the plane will break around the repair but not at the same place. I have experienced it...
Sometimes I also use 1 minute epoxy. You can crash your plane and be back in the air in less than 5 minutes just like if nothing happenned. You have to work quite fast with the 1 minute epoxy as it does get smushy in about 30 seconds... Hard as rock in 3-4 minutes. Great for jobs where it is hard to keep the parts together with tape or in a vise.

About the wing brace, I reglued mine in the plane many time. No problem there. If yours is destroyed, just replace it with a little strip of plastic or wood to back-up a new nut and screw. Just make a new one like the original piece was, no need to change the fuselage just for this
Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Iv'e succesfully glued the whole wing back on, it appears to be alligned correctly etc.... i just hope it holds during flight. I think ill double it up with some electrical tape as well and maybe strengthen it from the inside in some way. If it does'nt work the wing will fall of in mid flight (i don't think it will though, the glue has it's name for a reason ). Ive used plenty of glue and made sure its secured tightly, my guess is it will be fine. I don't suppose youve ever glued a wing on without replacing the actual brace?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
beavenx5

No I have never glued the entire wing to the fuselage.
It is quite easy to glue the brace back on and makes it easier to repair the next time around.
If glued properly all along the fuselage, I don't see why your repair would not work.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the next flight will go.

A great plane worth saving
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

x2 on the epoxy. Provides the right filling characteristics for a large break and I have never had an epoxy repair fail.

(I usually tape over the seam and then flatten out any excess epoxy under the tape. the "epoxy skin" under the tape makes the repair even stronger.)

Clint
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Rob Cline
N00b Pilot

FWIW, I've totally glued my T28 wing onto the body, after breaking both that brace, and the pins at the rear, several times. The T28 was my first ever plane, and even after gluing the wing on, I broke / re-glued it enough times I finally bought a new wing. Broke that a few more times, and now it's totally glued on as well ;o)

Foam planes have really changed the hobby, they can be fixed so quick and easy (epoxy's become my favorite glue too) and the T28 still feels like my favorite plane.

Rob
Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
fresbill
I Can Fly Inverted :)

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
Iv'e succesfully glued the whole wing back on, it appears to be alligned correctly etc.... i just hope it holds during flight. I think ill double it up with some electrical tape as well and maybe strengthen it from the inside in some way. If it does'nt work the wing will fall of in mid flight (i don't think it will though, the glue has it's name for a reason ). Ive used plenty of glue and made sure its secured tightly, my guess is it will be fine. I don't suppose youve ever glued a wing on without replacing the actual brace?
Joe, Sorry to hear about your crash, it sounded wild! I'm glad to hear you're going to repair your T-28 and get it back in the air, that's cool. I bet it will fly great.
The other day I was feeling a bit invincible making low inverted passes, I could do no wrong. I first did a bunch at head high, then I tried knee high. I made one nice knee high pass then in a blink on the second pass, knee high proved to low for my skill level. lol My T28 proceeded to skid inverted 15ft. or so across the asphalt. It happened in a half a blink!
I wish I had a video of it.
I taped the canopy, replaced the prop, left the chewed up Vert. Stab., and the now even more damaged Horz. Stab. & Main Wing Tip (from other mishaps) alone and got 3 more flights on it.
I was fortunate. My trainner took a licking and kept on ticking.
I've since patched and painted my T28 and pledged to fly inverted no lower than head high. lol
I haven't flown the new paint scheme yet.
I look forward to hearing about your "successful" flight of your repaired T28.
Happy Flying,
Bill
http://www.youtube.com/user/fresbill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2- Busted Canopy.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	88470   Click image for larger version

Name:	3- Chewed Up Vert Stab.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	88471   Click image for larger version

Name:	4- Taped Up Canopy.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	88472   Click image for larger version

Name:	5- Good to Go.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	88473   Click image for larger version

Name:	New CS.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	88474  

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

It was wild Bill, a full Trojan entering the tree, half coming back out. I spent half an hour prodding the wing out of the tree with a big stick. Lol.
Funnily enough i was also doing some very low inverted passes just before the collision with the tree. The Trojan handles brilliantly inverted. .

Hopefully the repairs i had to make won't be visible during flight, i think the Trojan will be up again around about Friday/Saturday becuase i'm waiting for the horizontal stabilizer to arrive in the post, i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. .

Safe and happy flying guys.

Btw nice pics Bill .
Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
No I have never glued the entire wing to the fuselage.
It is quite easy to glue the brace back on and makes it easier to repair the next time around.
If glued properly all along the fuselage, I don't see why your repair would not work.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the next flight will go.

A great plane worth saving

I think everyone has those back two prongs on the wing pull through the foam eventually.

I fixed it by popping the wing in place, then cutting a groove in the foam above the prongs to accommodate a 2" piece of 4mm CF tubing. I then epoxied the snot out of it, and used some spare Zfoam I had from my battery holder mod to hide it. Works great.

I just painted my trojan in custom colors and I am in the process of adding some decals and putting the working bits back in.

Flying it with a Turnigy 35-36C 1100Kv and a 11x6 MAS prop. Moderate speed (as I like) with incredible thrust to do almost any kind of stunt I want, and get me out of a hairy situation low to the ground. Current never tops 26 amps.

Oh yeah I also added some lights for dusk flying and to help a bit with orientation.

I'll snap some pics and post them when its finished.

GRU
Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Well, I re-maidened her today, even though it was windy (gusts to 15 kts easy) - everything went well 'cept for a new tendency to snap left at the bottom of a loop - not sure why that is, I'll have to work it out. Went up a little tail heavy with the addition of the light system but I countered that easily enough with a half an ounce or so in the cowl. AUW with paint is now in the area of 36 ounces. Not too terrible, and certainly a bit more stable in the wind.

Some Pics I took the other night - I'll have her up tomorrow for a good few packs so I'll likely to have video then too.

GRU

Name:	100_0954.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	88779   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0955.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	88780   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0957.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	88781   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0959.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	88782   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0965.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	88783  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0966.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	88784   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0956.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	88785  
Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by fresbill View Post
Joe, Sorry to hear about your crash, it sounded wild! I'm glad to hear you're going to repair your T-28 and get it back in the air, that's cool. I bet it will fly great.
The other day I was feeling a bit invincible making low inverted passes, I could do no wrong. I first did a bunch at head high, then I tried knee high. I made one nice knee high pass then in a blink on the second pass, knee high proved to low for my skill level. lol My T28 proceeded to skid inverted 15ft. or so across the asphalt. It happened in a half a blink!
I wish I had a video of it.
I taped the canopy, replaced the prop, left the chewed up Vert. Stab., and the now even more damaged Horz. Stab. & Main Wing Tip (from other mishaps) alone and got 3 more flights on it.
I was fortunate. My trainner took a licking and kept on ticking.
I've since patched and painted my T28 and pledged to fly inverted no lower than head high. lol
I haven't flown the new paint scheme yet.
I look forward to hearing about your "successful" flight of your repaired T28.
Happy Flying,
Bill
http://www.youtube.com/user/fresbill
nice repair job Bill. Looks great..
Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Well, I re-maidened her today, even though it was windy (gusts to 15 kts easy) - everything went well 'cept for a new tendency to snap left at the bottom of a loop - not sure why that is, I'll have to work it out. Went up a little tail heavy with the addition of the light system but I countered that easily enough with a half an ounce or so in the cowl. AUW with paint is now in the area of 36 ounces. Not too terrible, and certainly a bit more stable in the wind.

Some Pics I took the other night - I'll have her up tomorrow for a good few packs so I'll likely to have video then too.

GRU
I like that look on your t-28.. Good job with the lights...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
fresbill

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
nice repair job Bill. Looks great..
Thanks Airhead. The plane is stand-off scale, so I did a stand-off repair & paint on it. It looks ok from about 10' back or so. lol
I'm hoping to get a chance to fly it next week. My CoG is now closer to specs after the paint job than before...go figure, so it should fly nice.
Bill
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Sweet looking bird groundrushesup, like the contrast between the different shades of blue. No flight with the repaired Trojan today guys, ive only just ordered a horizontal stabilzer so that will probably be here on tuesday coming from SquadronLeader. Another thing arriving with it is my new Pz Spit! . I know its a noob compared to the Trojan, but the sight of a Spitfire on final approach out rivals any other plane . I have just 2 planes, i wanted a 3rd .

Don't worry about the Vert Stab Bill i flew for ages with one side of the wing at least 6cm smaller than the other with my Cub, then again lol, it's high wing and virtually flies its self so it may be different with a Trojan .

Happy flying guys.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
fresbill

Cool about the Spit Joe. I suppose one can't have enough rc planes.

GRU, that's a nice paint job dude. I'm glad your re-maiden went well for ya.

Show & Tell time...This is how I store my T-28 when I'm not flying it.
Bill

Name:	T28 Storage.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	88828  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 AM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Thats rather impressive Bill compared to my storage, my Cub hangs off my wall via a piece of string which holds the plane by its landing gear, but, for 5 months it hasnt fell off once. My Trojan rests against a wall balancing on its propeller, i put a sponge underneath the propeller so it wont get damaged, im thinking of putting that on my wall as well. Ill have to devise a new system to make room for the Spitfire.

Ive been reading up on the Spit and apparently some have been clocked at 40mph stock . I don't know if this is true but thats cool. By the way i know this is a ridiculous question but what are the blue/white/red circular things called on the underside of the wings and on the sides of the fuselage? I know it's an allied thing but i just dont know the name lol.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 PM
fresbill

Joe, you're going to have fun w/ that Spit.

The round red, white, & blue insignia is called a Roundel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundel

Bill
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Thanks for the info Bill ive been searching for it's name for ages.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Btw will stock Super Cub batteries be ok in a Pz Spitfire? ive got two and although it wont be as powerful its still more flying time. On top of that ive got my Trojan and then the stock battery that comes with the Spit. 40 mins of flying time hopefully lol.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Horizontal Stab arrived today along with the Spit.

I'm going to have to return the Spit becuase it's not in any shape to fly. The whole tail piece is basically bent to one side therefore the Horizontal Stab does not go on straight. There is something rattling around by the motor and in the cowling, causes huge vibration, i don't know what it is because is so damn hard to get the spinner off. All of this came right out of the box as well, i hav'nt done anything to it. Overall, my first bad experience with Parkzone, im a bit disappointed tbh .

On the other hand the Trojan's ready to go ! .
Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
fresbill

Joe, bummer about the Spit dude. I've heard quality control is not always there w/ parkzone, sorta hit & miss. I hope you a new one right away and you have it in the air in no time.

Good news that your T28 is ready to fly. I look forward to hearing how your flight went.

Sorry I didn't know the answer to your battery question. I've never flow the SC or the Spit.

Looks like I'm going to get a chance to fly the new paint job this week.

Bill
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
Btw will stock Super Cub batteries be ok in a Pz Spitfire? ive got two and although it wont be as powerful its still more flying time. On top of that ive got my Trojan and then the stock battery that comes with the Spit. 40 mins of flying time hopefully lol.
I would give that a big no. SC battery is only 8.4V versus 10.8 for the SpitFire which would result in only 60% as much power. This sounds like a recipe for stalling and crashing.

Much better solution may be to run the T-28 lipo in the SpitFire for a boost in power, reduction in weight and increased flight time.

Clint
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Hmmm well i havn't sent the Spit back, ive had a look at it, and sorted the problems out.

The rattling i discovered was that Pz had put a weight in the nose cone, but they had not screwed it onto the prop shaft, so it was just rattling all over the place. It's now screwed on and that's all fine.

The horizontal stabilizer i was a bit concerned about, but after my mum (I'm 15 btw guys ) convinced me it would be ok (After about 20 minutes of analysing it), i decided not to return the Spit. Instead ive managed to level the Horiz Stab out by sliding a piece of card in between the gap thats between the fuselage and the plastic bit that you insert the Horiz Stab into. It now appears to be level....

I do actually actually think the fuselage maybe ever so slightly twisted, but it now appears to be fine, does a slight angle of inaccuracy actually matter any way, will it make flight unstable? It does'nt help with the cockpit being glued on slightly out of line as well, so i did'nt have much to align the Horiz stab with.

Still waiting for a new adapter to show up from somehwere for my Li-Po charger, so no T28 flights yet either. Im gonna maiden the Spit Tomorrow, i just hope the Stabilzer is ok . Ive flown with worse things on my SC, such as a bent rudder, it still flew fine.

I guess i won't use my SC batteries either lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Maidened the Spit today guys . My first attempt, it did'nt launch as well as i had presumed, and therefore the left wing just dropped and it spiralled downwards and i broke a propellor :o, no other damage done. Second attempt went well, but it was quite foggy. She has a lot of ability to climb, and i could tell. I had had to trim the elevator down to get level flight. Due to the fog, i had to keep her quite close to me so i could see her. Lol. The flying is very scale like, nice big loops, slow victory rolls (a bit like T28 on low rate), nice high speed passes (I'm actually pretty surprised on how fast it goes considering it's only a brushed 480). It clears ground quickly, and just looks stunning. Inverted is fairly simple, only a little down elevator to maintain level flight. Overall im very happy . I just hope that Horiz Stab stays ok.

More good news, LiPo charger is back up and running after i found a new car adapter for it, so tomorrow i'll take the Trojan and the Spit to the field.

Happy flying.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Re-maidened the Trojan after the crash today , i had forgotten how good this this thing was, its amazing. I noticed once at the field the rudder needed trimming quite intensely, and becuase i couldnt feel my hands it was so cold i was unable to unclip the push rod from the clevis.
So i just disconnected the rudder and flew without it. Once airborne i also noticed that it climbed a lot, and i had to input down elevator to maintain level flight, however, she's still the best plane ive ever had. Ill trim her up in the morning. The glued on wing worked like a treat, it still shows maximum strength after the flight. .

Flew the Spit as well, again it darted to the left upon launch, but this time i recovered it and climbed away. It's harder than the Trojan to hand launch, as weird as that may seem . Ive also noticed that the noise the motor makes is rather a roaring sound, i do not know whether or not it should do this . Espeically when it goes past me on full throttle. Anyhow, this is also a great plane, i recommend it for when your not flying your Trojan.

Quick Reply: T28 Trojan

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11834 seconds with 23 queries