ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Great looking planes delsol. I've always wanted to do the 180.

Thanks for sharing.

Frank
Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 AM
delsol

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Great looking planes delsol. I've always wanted to do the 180.

Thanks for sharing.

Frank
\
Thanks Frank,
I appreciate your kind words about the 180, but you need to build a SBSr. I thought my Eva was the greatest Park flyer ever until I built my SBSr. I like the smaller planes but the larger ones do fly better.
Brad
Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I've heard so many good things about the SB Sr. I have built both the Tyro 100 and the SB Sport. I think if was going to get the 150 size, I'd go with the Tyro 150. Not sure why really as both the SB and Tyro fly great. Maybe one day I'll get both.

Frank
Old 02-10-2008, 01:21 PM
delsol

Frank,
I wouldn't blame you for going with the 150 Tyro, I have read nothing but good things about the plane. But
he who has the Tyro 100 I know I'm not telling you anything new.
Brad
Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Default Got A Link

anyone have a link where you can purchase these mt.models kits
Old 02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by dmmalish View Post
anyone have a link where you can purchase these mt.models kits
Here you go.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_29_76

If you have any questions just ask.

Frank
Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 AM
mararra

Default Progress report J-3 Cub

I'm movin along again with my Cub project. I have the fuse and tail section covered, and the wing framed. Had a little trouble with the wing; the instructions were a bit ambiguous in areas and the photos in the intruction manual are of poor quality. Some of the laser cuts did not go fully through the balsa and required a little finess with the knife to get them free. After much head scratchin and a little rework I think I have it right. Particularly frustrating and needlessly so, are the occasional parts that are unmarked. If this "could be a first build" as it's advertized the rookie builder better have some modeling and or crafting experience under his belt or ready access to someone who does.
Now hold on, I am not bad mouthin the kit by any means, just offerin up my experience as a novice. Wood quality and parts fit are excellent; I WILL buy more Mountain models. I've already got my eye on that Switchback Sr.
Anyway just my thoughts, that's what these forums are for, right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CoveredFuse.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	55258   Click image for larger version

Name:	J3Wing.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	55259  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

That wing is looking good! I certainly understand about instructions. Sometimes they can be perfect and other times terrible. It's always best to take notes if you find problems and then email them to the kit builder for later updates -just a thought. Glad you got past the problem areas.

Keep up the good work.

Frank
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
garlonbs

Currently working on an EVA Bipe as my first balsa build. The fusalage is almost done and i've already ordered the sport wing. After several years of bashing ARF's I am finding that building is more fun than I thought it would be.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by garlonbs View Post
Currently working on an EVA Bipe as my first balsa build. The fusalage is almost done and i've already ordered the sport wing. After several years of bashing ARF's I am finding that building is more fun than I thought it would be.

It certainly is a lot of fun. I like building more than flying I believe.

Looking forward to the pics!

Frank
Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by garlonbs View Post
I've had the bipe wings on mine for many, many months. I changed to the 3D wings and pumped it up with 300 watts of Park 480 motor this past weekend just for the heck of it. What a hoot! I'll probably switch back to the bipe wings soon just because they fly so good and look so damned cool!

Joe
Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 AM
mararra

Question Switchback Sr.

Anybody have any hands on experience flyin the Switchback Sr. ? I'm a fairly green pilot. Started out last August with a foam Super Cub and graduated to a Steven's STIK. I can fly them without any problem; landings are easy with the Cub in most any conditions, but I still have a bit of a problem with the STIK if its moderately gusty. The question is do you think I'm ready for a low wing like the Switchback Sr., or give it another year with the high wing planes I have?

M
Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by mararra View Post
Anybody have any hands on experience flyin the Switchback Sr. ? I'm a fairly green pilot. Started out last August with a foam Super Cub and graduated to a Steven's STIK. I can fly them without any problem; landings are easy with the Cub in most any conditions, but I still have a bit of a problem with the STIK if its moderately gusty. The question is do you think I'm ready for a low wing like the Switchback Sr., or give it another year with the high wing planes I have?

M
Yep, I've got a SwitchBack Sr. One of the beta's in fact. It flies like the standard SwitchBack only better.

Any lightweight plane is gonna be a handful in gusty conditions but that's where a well designed plane will shine. And shine the SB Sr. does! You've gotta use common sense when it comes to flying in wind though. If you think you may have a problem then STAY ON THE GROUND! I don't care what size the plane is or what the wind speed is.

The SwitchBack Sr. or Tyro 150 will be outstanding next step airplanes for you. They're bigger, easier to see and just all around better flyers because of their size.

Joe
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Anyone see the new EZ Series (TM) planes MM has out now?

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=545

Pretty cool and looks great for a first time builder/flyer.

Frank

Last edited by Murocflyer; 10-29-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
garlonbs

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I've had the bipe wings on mine for many, many months. I changed to the 3D wings and pumped it up with 300 watts of Park 480 motor this past weekend just for the heck of it. What a hoot! I'll probably switch back to the bipe wings soon just because they fly so good and look so damned cool!

Joe

Gah!!!!! Turbo that sounds like the WM Chipmunk I did. I kept up with .46 sized sport planes in a circut with that thing till it plowed in. I'm planning on a park 450 for my EVA but I have a 370 I'll put on the stick mount just to see how it does. I actually was going to build the switchback SR first but thought it would be pretty neat to have 3 different wings for one plane.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 PM
mararra

Smile

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Yep, I've got a SwitchBack Sr. One of the beta's in fact. It flies like the standard SwitchBack only better.

Any lightweight plane is gonna be a handful in gusty conditions but that's where a well designed plane will shine. And shine the SB Sr. does! You've gotta use common sense when it comes to flying in wind though. If you think you may have a problem then STAY ON THE GROUND! I don't care what size the plane is or what the wind speed is.

The SwitchBack Sr. or Tyro 150 will be outstanding next step airplanes for you. They're bigger, easier to see and just all around better flyers because of their size.

Joe
Thanks for the feedback. I almost bought the Switchback Sr. ... even had it in my cart, then chickened out and bought the J-3 instead. looks like I made the right decision. Switchback will be in next winter's buildin queue.

M
Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

I've got the p-51.

Very nice build, turning out to be a very nice flyer. Need some better weather to really get the feel for it though.

Here's a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoBQpnvYck

...and my build thread:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26844
Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I'm a big fan of the P-51. Although have never built one or flown one. Nice job! Looks like she flies pretty good even on a windy, cold and cloudy day.

Can you post some pics here when get the chance?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Thanks Muroc.

Here's some "beauty shots" I just took of it.

Explanation of my markings:
Overall trim scheme - Borrowed from the "Cripes a Mighty" P-51. From the 352nd Fighter Group - "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney". I went with a darker blue than that fighter wing used, but it was my inspiration anyway.

Nose Art - My 2yr. old Daughter's name is "Vida", so "La Vida Loca" means "The Crazy Life", and I've dedicated this build to her.

Squadron Markings:
GG - My Wife's name is Gigi
J - My name is Jeff

Tail Number - My AMA number.

Regrets:
1 - The canopy plastic definitely can't stand up to your sealing iron's temperature. Don't try and use iron-on film to cover the lower part of the canopy. (notice the warp in a couple of the photos)

2 - Krylon Fusion "Metallic" is a rather poor match for SolarFilm Silver.

3 - Dont' bother with the GWS retracts ... they're just too wimpy. I broke one on the first landing.

Part I'd like to pat myself on the back about:

The dorsal spine and vertical stab transition area. If built 100% stock, the area of the dorsal spine and transition of the fuselage to the vertical stabilizer is a little rough in a lot of examples of this model. I added some additional sheeting and blocking in this area and did lots of sanding to get it to come out nice. I also did some sheeting in the belly of the nose for a little more strength up front. Even with that ... I still came out at 15oz minus the battery.

Name:	IMG_0901.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	56301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	56302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	56303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	56304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	56305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	56306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	56307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	56308  
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Diesel Dan
foam,balsa & rock 'n roll

Talking Beautifull Mustang...

I still want to order the Mustang and MiniFlash...maybe later the EVA Bipe...waaay cool designed kits..!!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 AM
curly56

Last edited by curly56; 03-19-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 AM
mararra

Bout finished with the Cub. Waitin on a rx and esc, most everything else is finished. Just a few fiddly bits to take care of; wing strut mount, battery hold downs, and some touchup on the painted areas. Tried to take some pics, but the camera wouldn't work; turns on, then shuts right down
M
Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Gnascher, Very nice!! Thanks for posting the pics.

Curly, sweet looking plane! Can't wait to hear how she flies, although I suspect I already know.

M, Sounds like a weak battery or memory is full. Looking forward to those pics.

Frank
Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 AM
curly56

here's mine ready to go. everything is installed , painting is done and pilot is sitting there scared, but ready to maiden. Just need good weather.
Curt.

Name:	000_0289.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	60112   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0291.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	60113  

Last edited by curly56; 03-19-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Homer does look a "little" frightened, but nice job on the plane! Looking forward to hearing how the maiden goes.

Frank

Quick Reply: Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13610 seconds with 23 queries