Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

horizon hobby & spektrum radio dx9

Old 01-18-2016, 05:25 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default horizon hobby & spektrum radio dx9

frustrated.., horizon sells and support the spectrum line of transmitters. this is why i got the dx9 from them. radio is beautiful , but some draw backs.

frist off,when buying from the major distributor and knowing that they sell tons of these radios,it a short coming to sell one for $449 and it not have the latest firmware installed already. i need to insert the supplied 148mb sd card and down load a serial number for which my radio is registered. then i can get the updated firmware to reprogram my brand new tx. my radio has 1.06,but the newest firmware update is 1.09[sounds like i have an old radio

SERIOUSLY!!!! are they so desperate to have me register my tx with them so i can use my new tx trouble free. right now the cheap sd card that came with the tx isn't working since it causes a blank lcd screen. forums addressing this problem say an upgraded sd card is a must. another $15-$20 to spend.i'll pul one from my camera and reformat it. also the Ar7700 rx i bought accidentally is a ppm style and i need pwm to program my tarot fc on the quad it's on. bought this from another hobby site to save a few dollars. oops

i tried to call horizon support and am on a 1 hr waiting list leaving my call back number. i expected better from horizon and at the cost of buying their receivers i shouldn't have to upgrade a brand new transmitter to get started using it.

for right now just because i am stuck at home with no car and can't get to a hobby shop to buy a new rx[left wallet and phone in wifes car sunday...i give horizon 4 of these...
Old 01-18-2016, 05:56 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The firmware can be updated between when they radio goes int he box at the factory and when it arrives at the Horizon warehouse... then they sell fast enough that they can't keep up with updating them.

And anyone can run into having a bad SD card.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

true ..true. i was bitter because i bought the wrong rx and also left my wallet and phone in my wifes car where she is working and not willing to risk driving to get it. i shouldn't vent when angry. waiting is a virtue i could do better with before typing..just got off the phone with support and we did the update in about 30 min.s time. not bad since i am on a mac and my support guy cody was a pc windows guy.

i guess the sd card issue is something thats ongoing and cody was glad i could use a sandisc from my camera. i feel if your selling that many tx's for the dollar,you should update firmware and use a higher quality sd card since horizon is the manufacturer of the product[dx9]. if your a local hobby shop with the item on your shelf then of coarse it might be outdate.

i want to repeat this....horizon backs their products and i know they will support any purchase i make with them. thats why i chose them over any other outlet. PowerHobby is selling the same dx9 with package deals,like 5 hs-55 servos for the same price of $449. they have many different package combos to choose from and they are located local to me in Mahwah NJ. now if i can find a more cost effective and trust worthy rx to use on my 250 racing quads that stay close by in flight i'll be thrilled. as far as the 650sport quad goes,it going to be spectrum ar 8000 rx. $129 with 10%off and free shipping.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The bad SD card issue is something i've heard a few times, which is disappointing as you would have thought they could bundle in a decent quality card. Having said that the ones I've had have always been ok, and you can pick up an SD card for less than $5 so it's not really a big deal.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM
birdDog
Charging....

You don't need much capacity. Appropriate card can be had for a few dollars. I agree it's frustrating but easily addressed. Actually, I don't think you have to leave it in there.

Last edited by birdDog; 01-18-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I've had several different brand SDHC cards. PNY, SanDisk, Lexar, Transcend etc. Used them in phones, cameras etc. Failures with every brand except Kingston. Needless to say my DX6 has a Kingston in it now. So does everything else I have that uses SDHC. Hard to believe there are so many name brand cards out there that are total crap! Beyond frustrating.....

Joe
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
You don't need much capacity. Appropriate card can be had for a few dollars. I agree it's frustrating but easily addressed. Actually, I don't think you have to leave it in there.
Actually... there is a failure mode for the SD card that will prevent the radios from working at all (DX-8, DX-9 and DX-18) if the card is inserted. Pull the failed card and the radio is fine.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

One thing that did suprise me when i got my new DX18.. It only spoke German!
This was a UK transmitter purchased from an authorised UK dealer, not imported. Seems like all the Euro spec transmitter regardless of country they are sold in speak German as they come out of the box. To get them to speak English you need to register then download and install the English voice file.

Probably says something about where Europe is heading
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

dang,i thought i got it bad.the wrong language!
the thing with sd cards and the transmitter is i read folks had there transmitter lock up and shut down while flying with the supplied sd card in the tx. i am removing my sandisc card now that the upgraded firmware is 1.09. the price range of sd cards are as varied as the price of receivers. $5 for a cheap one or $35+ a 32 sandisc.

this is to funny,new update 1.10 is coming real soon the support at horizon laughed when i said i expect to see my horizon email calling for me to update it tomorrow.

i just pulled the trigger on the spectrum ar8000 for $116 at horizon.this quad has turned into a real money pit.

just so folks know,if you call in an orderly phone to horizon,you should ask about the phone order discount. it's 10%off. as an experiment i also ordered6 channel lite,and a 8channel with satellite receiver from lemonrc. even though the name is crazy,forums speak very highly of the brand for less expensive models. lemon openly says they aren't a copy of spectrum hardware and they design and qc all their products. looking forward to installing the 6channel lite in a 250 quad.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:39 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Actually... there is a failure mode for the SD card that will prevent the radios from working at all (DX-8, DX-9 and DX-18) if the card is inserted. Pull the failed card and the radio is fine.
Ahhh, I only own the peasant 7
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 PM
WyomingOutdoors

Lemon RC receivers work well. I've used the 7 channel/gyro in my nitro plane.
I have the 7 channel/gyro in a Das Ugly Stik and it work phenomenal.
I've built a racer quad 250mm w/ the 6 channel w/sat from Lemonrc as well.
Compared to my 250mm quad with Spektrum AR6210 I can't tell any difference in range or quality. Just the price is alot cheaper.

Last edited by WyomingOutdoors; 01-26-2016 at 01:06 AM.