Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

I got a lipo with the wrong connector for my UMX

Old 05-14-2019, 05:11 AM
kargo

Default I got a lipo with the wrong connector for my UMX

Hi Gang, looking for some battery connector help.

I was given a UMX Timber by my beautiful wife this last Christmas. I few weeks ago I ordered some turnigy batteries for it. Unfortunately, I didn't pay close enough attention and purchased batteries with the wrong connectors. No problem I say to myself, I'll just order the correct connectors and swap them out. Again, I didn't pay close enough attention. The small 2S Eflite batteries use one connector (jst 2.0 3 pin) for charging and balancing. It has a positive, negative, and a white wire which I assume allows for the balancing. The small 2S Turnigy battery uses a more conventional power connection with two wires (pos. and neg.) and a separate balance lead. I've attached some photos for reference.

The questions;

1 Can I cap the power connection on the Turnigy battery and solder my new connector (jst) to the balance leads, and use it as the power lead (pos and neg to Timber) as well as charging and balancing it the way I do my eflite batteries?

2 Can I solder my new connector's (jst) pos. and neg. lines (outside wires, pos. on the right and neg on left as you are facing the connector) and balance the Turnigy battery with the normal balance connector during charging?

I know they are little batteries, but I'd really like to not cause any fires in my basement. Not even little ones. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:29 AM
kargo

OK, Photos 2.0....

Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... the 3 wire plug allows each cell to be measured ...

Taking your last photo of the E-Flite pack ...

RED + WHITE will give you voltage of Cell A

WHITE + BLACK will give you voltage of Cell B

RED + BLACK will give you total voltage of the pack.

A balance charge swaps round those combos to even out the charged level. It is not white wire alone.

With a low powered model - you can use that balance lead to power a model but its AMPS / WATTS capability is low compared to the main 2 wire power lead of the Turnigy pack.

As regards swapping connector ... its common that we swap / change connectors on packs ... and yes - I would think that changing the main connector of your turnigy pack to the JST suitable for your model would work ... leaving the balance lead for charging .. just make sure you put RED and BLACK to the outer pins and correct way round.

But question : Is the Balance plug on the Turnigy same as the E-Flite plug ? If it is - then use that ... no need to change anything.