Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Standard LiPo to mini USB charge lead ?

Old 06-23-2018, 04:09 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Standard LiPo to mini USB charge lead ?

Yes - I know it sounds crazy - but I have Soloshot 3 camera system that is a total pain to charge the base unit battery.

It says to use a 2A mobile phone charger ... which I have several, but the unit still still fails to charge.

I have been using a powerbank but that has finally said enough ...

What i would like to do is connect a B6 or Accucel 6 to it and charge from a controlled user programmable source. But cannot find any lead that connects Deans or XT60 or 4mm banana plugs to a mini USB.

Anyone know of any ?

Nigel
Old 06-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Look for 12v to USB adapters on ebay or other places. I have several that change 7-24 vdc to a 5 v output USB connector.

My 97 Ford truck has 4 USB charge jacks, comes in very handy on long trips.

There are some of the adapters that are made for motorcycles, they have a lead coming out, you would just need to change the connector.
Then just use your USB cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Motorcy...cAAOSwIJlaK1M9
Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Yes - looked ..as I have quite a few car adaptors to USB .... and supposedly capable of 2A ... but when connected to the Soloshot - they just don't deliver .. I think the SS is resisting the charge and current falls below necessary.

I was hoping that I could find a lead to plug into my LiPo chargers and try force this ******* soloshot battery to play ball !!

At moment I have a DJI P3 battery via Telsin discharger plugged into it ... hoping that may kick the ba****d into working !!

Nigel
Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Good luck Nigel,

Could be that your charger refuses to put out power unle4ss it senses a battery as load. or it is putting out a pulsating voltage that the Solo shot is refuses.

I would probably dig into the thing and do something a little more direct. Maybe a power lead that could be connected to an external battery.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Nigel perhaps make your own and get a USB 3.1 or USB-C cable, cut the unwanted end off and replace it with whatever connector you want. Keep the cable as short as possible.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The DJI / Telsin has done the job and all is charged up again.

I thought about cutting a cable - but unlike the old serial cable - its a bit more fussy !! As you know.

The Soloshot is sealed unit and at $600 - I'm not about to crack it open !!

I do at times plug a powerbank into it on the field to top it up ... and now i have a new powerbank to replace the old one ... so lets hope that survives longer.

Nigel
Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to do here Nigel.

Bear in mind that the battery 'charger' for the Soloshot is built into the battery unit itself. The mobile phone 'charger' that you were using isn't really a charger as we know it, it's just a 'dumb' 5A power supply which serves the exact same purpose as the 12V+ power supply you run your B6 off.

If you wanted to charge the solo-shot battery with a B6 LiPo charger then you would need to open up the battery case and hook up directly onto the connectors on the actual battery cells, thus bypassing the inbuilt charging circuit. This can be done, I've done it myself a few times, but it does mean opening up the battery case, which may be easy or may be very tricky, depending on how 'tamper proof' Soloshot made it.

Hooking up a LiPo charger to an input that expects to receive a constant 5V supply runs a very high risk of damaging the internal charging circuit, maybe even causing a fire. This probably explains why you dont get leads to do it.

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 06-27-2018 at 06:00 PM.