Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

A Blast from the Past

Old 02-26-2018, 04:37 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Default A Blast from the Past

I have always wanted one of these Multiplex Twinjet planes but NOT with the heavy brushed 480 motors and Nicad batteries that power it. I last saw one of these fly about 10 years ago and one for sale even longer but at the time there was really little out to re-power let alone a lipo (15C Lipo was very high end) that put out more than 25 amps that lasted more than 20 flights before puffing.

I was kinda stunned when I was offered a brand new one in the box as trade for one of my older planes so I jumped at it. I tried to research what others have done but found very little about re-powering one these so I was on my own. The decals that came with it were worthless and so dated I couldn't bring myself to use any of them. After a little thought I came up with a Blue Angles sorta scheme that took 3 coats of paint to cover the blue. This turned out pretty fair and looks good on the ground and in the air.

For motors I settled on a pair of E-Flight Series Six 2700 KV In runners that were a perfect snug fit and simple glued in place with UHU. For props I went with a pair of Quanum carbon fiber in 6 x 4.5 and counter rotating of course. On the ESC side I opted for a pair of H-King 50's (There were overkill but needed because no airflow under the canopy). I love these because there is no soldering and they are just plug and play in many of my planes. I did have to solder up 6 Extension Cables 4" long to make the wires a custom fit but it was worth the time. I then went ahead and topped it all off with a simple V-Tail mixer I used on the ESC's to give me Differential Thrust.

A pair of 12 gram HK Metal Gear Servo's were fitted under the wings with little cutting to make them fit. The rest of the motor wiring was kinda a pain but I was taking my time and doing just a little each week. Drill holes, Grind out channels for the wires to follow but in the end its not a mess to look at and pretty flat with just a little clear tape to hold stuff in place and clean up airflow under the plane.

So Im all plugged in and testing on a new Turnigy Graphine 2200 3S 65C shows a max of 54 amps and that's just what I was looking for with a pair of motors. My larger 2700 and 3300 lipos also fit and balance easy. I have triple rates all set up on a toggle switch and the lowest setting is 70% throws and 40% expo so I think Im ready for the first flight.
At the field I couldn't find anyone to toss it for me because they were worried about loosing some fingers on those CF props so I did the next best thing. I grabbed the best pilot, handed him my transmitter and tossed it in the air for him. The plane needed zero trim and flew great until you go above half throttle and then it climbed like mad. This airfoil delivers so much lift and was designed for much heavier gear so I hadn't planned for this outcome. We also noticed some wing flex because there are no supports in it. It would be very hard to add some so I just wont be yanking and banking it hard. A test flight of 3 minutes and it glided down to a perfect land with no drama.

We tested a few custom transmitter mixes but the results were less than impressive and it would still climb hard at 3/4 throttle so I called it a day with the plane still in one piece. At home I gave it some thought and came up with a new plan to try but as yet its still untested. I bought one the new Lemon RX Stabilizer Plus, The reviews on this have been outstanding so I ordered one from Amazon and had it in no time. This is setup on a 3 position switch with Plus, Gyro and Off so I hoping it will do the trick and help level the plane out as the speed increases. In the planes current form it should top 100 mph very easy so I'm hoping for the best and will update this post the next time it flies.

Kosh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
104_0284.jpg (147.7 KB, 241 views)
104_0285.jpg (162.3 KB, 227 views)
104_0286.jpg (174.2 KB, 266 views)
104_0287.jpg (173.2 KB, 219 views)
104_0288.jpg (148.5 KB, 221 views)
104_0289.jpg (176.7 KB, 254 views)
104_0292.jpg (204.6 KB, 225 views)
104_0291.jpg (190.0 KB, 211 views)
104_0294.jpg (158.3 KB, 221 views)
104_0282.jpg (179.2 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by Kosh; 02-26-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome back Kosh! Great looking plane, hope the gyro does the trick for you.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:09 AM
F22trainer

Welcome -- good luck with gyro test.
I began experimenting with them also - putting one in a House of Balsa Cub with ailerons. Also picked up an Eagle L3 but not sure what to put it in, probably a scratch built T-craft I finished up a few years back but have not flown.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:29 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I just got the same plane but mine is the white version, the previous owner of the kit cut the twin motor nacelles off to make it a single motor.

I haven't figured out what to put in it yet.

Hope you get the climbing under control.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Ok so it tested it and aged 10 years in the panic that followed. It launched and flew fine with the gyro turned off, Climbed to about 300' and turned the stabilizer on and the plane immediately rolled over and went into a death spiral. I was able to turn it off and recover at about 15' from the deck.

Being a glutton for punishment I took it back up and hit the easy Auto Level switch and it flew straight until I started to make a turn and the same thing happened. But I recovered it once again

By this time I was shaking so bad I brought it in for a safe landing and had to think how I screwed it up. While I really hate to admit it upon doing more research it was all my fault. I installed the RX backwards so its no wonder the plane went nuts when I turned the features on.

Installed correctly now and will try again soon so stay tuned.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Well Kosh, You just tried the oldest trick in the book as Maxwell Smart would say.... :-)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Wow, I bet that was exciting !!

Stabilized receivers really don't like going backwards.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2018, 04:30 AM
F22trainer

Now that's entertainment - that'll put a spot on the flight line.
Good luck with the corrections and glad you recovered in time to figure it out!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Finally got the test it with the RX installed the correct way and it did the job nicely. I was able to hit full throttle in level flight and it kept the plane from climbing as I hoped it would. It was also a matter of setting the plane on level ground, Plugging in the lipo and then toggling a TX switch 3 times fast to set level in the RX.

Its one of the few times you have to read the manual and follow it if you want it to work right and this RX is a keeper. I will be buying more for sure.