Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Just ordered a Minnie Mambo and plans for a Quaker

Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 AM
abborgogna

Default Just ordered a Minnie Mambo and plans for a Quaker

A person who frequents the hobby shop I work at loaned me a set of plans for the Quaker. I am presently having two copies made, one to build on and one to use for reference. I hope to start building the Quaker soon. Also I just ordered a Minnie Mambo from a company called Lazer Works. Funny thing was when the man answered the phone and I told him what I wanted it turned out he was cutting a Minnie Mambo as we talked. I asked him to cut another and send it to me. I actually built a Minnie Mambo back in the early sixties when I was in high school. It had a Baby Bee for power and an Orbit single channel radio with a Babcock escapement for rudder only control. When I found out somebody was making partial kits for the plane I just had to have one. Anyway I will keep the forum posted as these two planes progress.
Andy
Old 12-26-2016, 11:44 PM
E-Challenged

Default Doing the Mambo

I am scratch building a full size 48" wsp Mambo from Outerzone plans and patterns. I am using a modern Tobe Galloping Ghost actuator with brushless motor power, rudder and elevator control surfaces will be flapping via the GG actuator and throttle will be via the speed control. the Tobe actuator plugs into any modern proportional RC receiver without modification to receiver or transmitter. The magic that makes it compatible is the small "recoder" device that is attached to the actuator. There is also a rudder only version that works like an Adams actuator. Here is a thread on RC Groups that shows how the Tobe GG actuator works:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Tobe-Actuator

Last edited by E-Challenged; 03-03-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:38 AM
abborgogna

That's amazing, I haven't seen a galloping ghost system in over 50 years. I never built the Quaker, but the Minnie Mambo was finished and flown. I just may order one of the GG actuators just for the fun of it.
Andy
Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Oh my, I was glad to see the end of them LOL.