General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 AM
flht00

Default New member

Hello all;
I am new to the electric heli rc hobby so finding this board was a life saver. I have gone to all of the shops that are reasonably local and have only found 4 or 5 others interested in flying. No parts at all. I have ordered a sim and am pretty sold on the T-Rex XL. Any and all input, suggestions or comments are welcome.

flht00
Old 01-06-2006, 09:30 AM
zappedalaskan

Hi concarlson,
Welcome to Wattflyer. We are glad to have you here. The Trex is a very good choice. It is a bit costly to start out, but once you have it the parts are cheap and easy to find. I see your in Califorina. I buy my Trex parts from Steve Campbell http://dreamhobbies.com Steve is a avid Trex flyer and he keeps all the newest and best parts for the Trex. If your order is over $100 he will send it for free as well. He is located in L.A. I'm not sure how close you are, but he ships to me clear up here in Alaska and is always real good on shipping. He likes you to call him before placing an order to make sure it is in stock and it is exactly what you are looking for. If there is something better or cheaper he will suggest it. He will not try to sell you anything you don't need to make a buck off of you. That is why he gets all of my business and I endorse his shop here.
Now on the other hand, the Trex is a real hot-rod right out of the box. It is a handful for a begginer and you have to build it. It only comes in kit form. If your looking for a Helicopter you can pull out of the box and fly easily then I would recomend The E-flite Blade cx. If you have never flown before, it will get you in the air and learning orientation. If your wanting something a little more aerobatic to learn on I would go ahead with the Trex. If you don't want to build the heli I would look at the Blade CP It is aerobatic and ready to fly right out of the box. It has a heli radio and flight battery, everything you need to get started. You can buy either E-flite heli from http://willshobbies.com I buy all my E-flite stuff there. And they have customer support on-line right here. I own a Blade cx I hover around the house. (It is way to cold here to fly outside) You can learn the basics of heli flight right in the biggest room in your house. I hope this helps. Please keep in touch and let us know how it's going
Regards,
Jay
Old 01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
serpa4

Welcome. Also, get a set of training gear for your heli. It will keep the o so common tip overs from happening. Get a couple 2 foot wooden dowels,1/4 inch or so, make and "X" and attach to the skids! This with the sim will go a long way to keeping repairs to a minimum.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 AM
flht00

Thanks for the suggestions. http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/ Sheldon's Hobbies is a shop I have used for 25+ years.. Went in today and bought the training gear, blade pitch gauge, ball joint plyers and a set of bump resistance landing struts. Ron (has about 15 years on heli) offered to check it out and turn it up once I feel it's ready. A second pair of eyes never hurt!!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 AM
zappedalaskan

Thumbs up Sheldons

Sounds like your in good hands. I have heard good things about Sheldons Hobbies for a long time. Anytime you can get an instructor/helping hand, it is definately the way to go. Best of luck and happy hovering
Regards,
Jay