Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

New Member saying hello

Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 AM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Default New Member saying hello

I really didn't know where to place my first post, but as I'm a beginner this place sounded good. I figured I'd get the pad party out of the way before I start asking questions.

Anyway, a little about me, I've never crashed a plane! Okay, okay, so I've never built one, but I'm sure that both of those statements are about to change. I live in Alaska. Yes, we have snow. Yes, it's cold. Yes, there are native Americans here. No, we don't live in igloos...even this time of the year. Supplies are difficult to get here, as we are 100 miles from the nearest "big city" of around 30,000. Oh, and that would be by boat or by air, you can't drive there. Yes, it gets dark right now around 4pm...and in the summer in June it doesn't get dark. Yes, I've seen the Northern Lights. I think I've covered the most common questions, but fire away. It's not insanely cold, we haven't been above freezing for a few weeks now, and we've had record snow over the last few weeks. It did get all the way down to -2 the other day. Wind Chill? You don't want to go there. The city I live in is Skagway, google earth it if you're interested, and going down the canal, yes, that's a cruise ship. We're in Southeast Alaska, so our weather isn't all that terrible to be honest. Plus, we're at sea level. Which brings me to some of my first questions...or would you prefer I begin a new thread? I rather think I will, in the foamie section, since that's where my interests lie.

At any rate, I do appreciate any welcome that may be extended, and I would like to say thank you for being a very literate bunch of folks. It makes reading and learning so much easier when you don't have to decipher 80% of what's written. I put my Grammar Police badge away when I'm on here, too.

Thanks for having me, and I do hope that I can be a quality contributing member of the site.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

LOL! Welcome to Wattflyer! You are going to fit in really well around here!:p

Name:  welcome2.gif
Views: 98
Size:  2.6 KB
Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 AM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

Welcome to Wattflyer. You will like it as there are a lot of great people here.
-Andrew
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 AM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Thank you, Bill...hot glue, right?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

shotgunsmitty:: welcome to the party!! your bub, steve
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yeah hot glue will work!:p

Steve you ought to get along with Smitty really well!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Welcome shotgun. Use the hotglue fast as it will freeze before you get it on the plane up there. You didn't mention flying around any polar bears.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Oh yeah I almost forgot to ask. Is it cold there? does it snow a lot? Have you ever seen the northern lights? I bet that's cool! I looked up your town... Is that a cruise ship in the picture???:p

So many more questions I want to ask!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

shotgunsmitty::""""I put my Grammar Police badge away when I'm on here, too. """""I'm gonna like you real good, your bub,steve
Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

shotgunsmitty,

Welcome to Wattflyer. Lots of good people here willing to help with anything you need!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM
bassplayinDude

Hey, welcome to Wattflyer!

My brother lives in Fairbanks and decided to have his wedding in February so I got a little taste of your weather up there a few years ago. Crazy stuff! The part I remember the most about the cold was going from a +70F airport to the -20F outside air, and my lungs refusing to let me inhale until I was in my brother's car. Nothing like a -90F temperature swing in the space of a few footsteps to wake you up in the middle of the night.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Leo L

Shotgunsmitty,

Welcome to R/C flying!

Thanks for answering some of the most frequently asked questions about living in Alaska. Since turn-about is fair play, let me answer some of the most frequently asked beginner questions.
-Yes, you can learn to fly on your own.
-Yes, you can fly in cold weather.
-Yes, planes can be equipped with skis to allow taking off and landing on snow, or they can be belly-flopped in the snow.
-Yes, both NiMh and LiPo batteries can be used in cold weather, as long as they are kept warm right until they are used.
-The HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar are the most popular, and probably best, planes to begin with.
-Read the information that is specifically geared to beginners in the "Sticky" section at the begining of this forum.
-Get a simulator and practice, practice, practice. The free simulator program, FMS, is not the best, but you can't beat the value.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

A friend of mine lived in Farbanks several years back, his wifes first question while up there was, OK WHERE'S ALL THE DRIVE-IN THEATRES, hint stays light in the summer, hi...also mentioned strange to see people washing their car t 3:30 AM ...<>..Also recall mention of having these posts to hook up to the car battery during extreme colds, this still true..??

My big question is how you managed not to CRASH..I usually have to thump one in simply for initiation...BEST ..<>.

AS WORST FLYER ON THE PLANET, LUMBER OF DEAD PLANES, STRONGLY SUGGEST THESE 3

Super Cub, Great Trainer, Now Night Flights. Tape Fixes easily
Stryker B, is a zippier C version, fly beautifully, Larger Wing Area will deadstick
Parkzone Spitfire, First Low Wing, Warbirds are awsome..also deadsticks
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Welcome Smitty. If you go with a Super Cub... Paint it! White Super Cub + Snow = Easter Egg Hunt lol
Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Hi Smitty, Welcome to Wattflyer.
We get snow around here too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	bvrldg70.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	51786

Glad you get more than we do .

Paul
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

No, no polar bears. And as for Fairbanks...I know it sounds strange to say this, but they're WAY farther north than I am. And the weather is much colder up there, too. The hottest it got this summer was 82, and the coldest it's been with wind chill is -40. But honestly, those aren't what we normally get. As for getting a lot of snow, not really. Again, it's all part of that Southeast Alaska thing. I'm east of the Gulf of Alaska/Pacific Ocean by about 150 or so air miles, up the Lynn Canal at the very end. The scenery is spectacular to say the very least, and when we go to Juneau (the only other state capitol you can't drive to) we take either a ferry or a puddle jumper...sorry...Piper Cherokee 6 is a good flavor, but they've got a Caravan, and some older ones that I don't know what they are yet...panel flew open on takeoff last time I was on one...if you ever wanted to know what it's like to actually fly in one of your RC craft, come up for a visit! As for the ferry, it's a six hour or four hour ride on a "mini-cruise" depending on the hull you're on. And the next nearest town of significance is Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. That's 110 miles by car but this time of year the roads aren't real reliable because of avalanches...you can get stuck in Whitehorse easy if the roads close on you. I can link to my photobucket account if you want to see my ugly pictures...

As for how I've never crashed....only because I've never flown. But right now I'm batting a thousand! As I mentioned before, I'm sure all that is about to change.