Twin Otter build - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Twin Otter build

Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

There is now a 15 min. video of some of the flying at the float pond posted at my link in post #32, including a short segment of Frank's Twin Otter, just for you, Joe. See page 10.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:44 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
There is now a 15 min. video of some of the flying at the float pond posted at my link in post #32, including a short segment of Frank's Twin Otter, just for you, Joe. See page 10.
Nice video of the otter and others but i liked watching Ivan doing rolls and loops with his big solent . I dont think mine will ever do either but its great to watch Ivan having fun doing them. I have the albattross for my next build and i seen one in there also. I had lost my construction notes on my twin otter and posted about loosing them in Luke z's thread so Ivan seen my post and gave me his phone number to call him. We talked for 10 minutes yesterday about planes /plans and his new desighn he is putting out soon and he e-mailed me the notes again. It was great to speak with him and he truly is a very nice guy and great electrict airplane desighner. joe
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

BradT

Nice video!
Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM
road king 97
old hat

I started to look at the top stringers and they were good for being straight but up and down was off so i cut out a few legs and brought out my incidence meter to fix it right. Its all fixed now and the meter reads 0 when i go up and down the rake. If you look you can see how the short legs angle in so the next deck is narrower that the bottom one ,theis is also to get the round look on the fuse. I was cutting the ply and balsa former that goes in front of the wing and Ivan wrote down 5 1/4 instead of 6 1/4 for the balsa former but the ply one is the correct size. It threw me for a second ,i did not know how i was going to bend the top of the fuse in that far till i caught it. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 11.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	169141   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 12.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	169142  
Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 PM
road king 97
old hat

I finished up the top back part of the fuse and half of the nose also .The other half of the nose is the hatch and it has the cabin windows and windshields and wing windows on it . The front of the fuse now needs plasic put on it so i can build the upper half hatch with out having it stick to the bottom half. This is the only way to build the top hatch and make sure everything lines up to the front fuse. I will put the balsa round nose on the fuse last so it does not get all beat up while i work on the rest of it. I have a plate to hold my reciever and battery on plus the same rails for the 3/32 balsa plate will hold hard wood 3/4 wide x 1/4 thick sticks for the rudder and elev servo's to be mounted on. Now iam going to show my balsa sticks some sandpaper loven and get a couple glue boogers off and smooth up the bottom, now that i can take it loose from the table with out it going nuts in one direction or the other. joe

Name:	twinotter 13.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	169151   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter nose 16.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	169152   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 15.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	169153  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 AM
road king 97
old hat

I got a little time in today and started the removable upper hatch section by getting plastic on it and using 1/8 x 3/16 strips on top on the lower half ,then beams across and finaly the round forumers on top of those that will be sheeted first before the window's and door frames land on top of the sheeting. The second picture i lifted it up so you can see were the seperation is. You can also make out now where the solid balsa round nose block will be going later ,with alot of carving and sanding to come. The top section will be sheeted in place so every thing stays lined up to the bottom section for a smooth hatch. joe

Name:	Twin otter 16.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	169180   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 17.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	169181  
Old 06-03-2013, 03:10 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Joe one thing I have learned is when I follow a build I will learn something. I have to remember the plastic and build over the existing frame. I would of tried to build it over the plan, and then fit it to the fuse.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Joe one thing I have learned is when I follow a build I will learn something. I have to remember the plastic and build over the existing frame. I would of tried to build it over the plan, and then fit it to the fuse.
They never seam to fit just right when this is done over the plan but this way it fits like a glove. I am glad someone is still watching Gramps i thought i was posting to myself. lmao Its summer and most are out flying and i should be to but the wether here still sucks. joe
Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM
pd1
Still Learning

I'm still watching.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
riverrat

Me too!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Forge

Still watching here too....

I love watching and learning about other's building techniques. I have learned alot from this forum, and continue to expand my knowledge each time I come here... or work in the basement.

Be well... still enjoying your work

Forge
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Still watching here too....

I love watching and learning about other's building techniques. I have learned alot from this forum, and continue to expand my knowledge each time I come here... or work in the basement.

Be well... still enjoying your work

Forge
Thanks guys i thought i was alone for a bit. When i build iam in a different place anyways. I have had full talks with my girlfriend or son who came into my shop and could not tell you what they said 5 minutes after they left. The fun part of wetting(water and 20 percent amoinia ) 1/16 sheeting and bending it for the top section of the rear of the fuse and nose has begun .once i get the top of very thing sheeted i can flip it over and start all over again with lining bottom round formers up to make sure they all plane in a straight line. After i get the fuse looking good i should be able to build the rudder and elev ,but again nothing that can be pinned to a building board so i will have to make a jig to build them on. Hey Forge you were sighned up for my solent build also, welcome . joe
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
They never seam to fit just right when this is done over the plan but this way it fits like a glove. I am glad someone is still watching Gramps i thought i was posting to myself. lmao Its summer and most are out flying and i should be to but the wether here still sucks. joe
Me too! I don't build in balsa anymore but it's great to watch a " real" build!!
Great idea with the plastic sheet on the sub frame technique Joe.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
road king 97
old hat

Here is the part where my big oaf carpenter hands needs to use long tweezers to build the window frames and the upper canopy hood over the cabin. The cabin is part of the removable hatch to so its still has plastic under it. The window /door frames and outline of the upper canopy hood are out of 3/32 hard balsa .I sheeted the front top so the curved bottom window frames lay on top and i have a long piece of 3/32 wetted and bent to dry so i can make the frames for this . Its easyer to wet and bend the frame before you cut and fit it later. Because iam still using tightbond 3 to do all this i can only fit and glue on piece at a time,plus they have to be smooth because they will be painted later and not covered . Dont mind the picture i had no coffie yet. Ivan does not show a dash board but i think i will make one for fake gauges and knobs later,again the tweezers will come in handy . Btw you can see i added the battery plate out of 3/32 balsa and will put velcro and a hold down strap later. joe

Name:	Twin otter 18.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	169221  

Last edited by road king 97; 06-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 AM
road king 97
old hat

With some door frames and windows/wing window its starting to look like a plane ,now some more sheeting . joe

Name:	twin otter 19.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	169228  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM
road king 97
old hat

I am sanding and sheeting the top rear of the fuse now but got the cabin sheeted , i left less than a 1/6 space between the hatch and the rest of the fuse for future covering later. It looks like the otter has mean eyes,reminds me of my ex . lol joe

Name:	Twin otter 20.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	169241  

Last edited by road king 97; 06-06-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Lots of progress ! Looking great. Wish I had your skill and some time. Been gobbling up ARF's in the last year just to keep the squadron replenished.

-Hawk
Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Lots of progress ! Looking great. Wish I had your skill and some time. Been gobbling up ARF's in the last year just to keep the squadron replenished.

-Hawk
It just takes some plan reading skills and some simple tools and a balsa build will take shape. Iam having a blast flying my funcub and i have a couple other arfs but i always like to have somthing big for when i go to flyins around my state and IN somtimes on water or land. This is over 80 inches and considered a giant scale plane and alot of giant scale meets this summer . If you noticed the darker color of the balsa iam using,i got a big box of balsa free from a friend that buys storage units and found the balsa in one but no one wanted to buy it from him. joe
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
riverrat

I got a little time in today and started the removable upper hatch section by getting plastic joe
Joe

I guess that's saran wrap? Never thought
of using that! Great Idea!

See you can teach an OLD DOG new tricks!
I will use that to make battery hatch on a scratch
build I am doing of a Circa.1947 TLG Cosmos.
I blew it up to 64" & it will be electrocuted.(second
childhood)

Pulling the plug on the CP, Andrea will be over
here about midnight, gust already @ 25kts!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Joe

I guess that's saran wrap? Never thought
of using that! Great Idea!

See you can teach an OLD DOG new tricks!
I will use that to make battery hatch on a scratch
build I am doing of a Circa.1947 TLG Cosmos.
I blew it up to 64" & it will be electrocuted.(second
childhood)

Pulling the plug on the CP, Andrea will be over
here about midnight, gust already @ 25kts!

Regards
Jimmy
I felt the same way about my tidewater pronto and scratch build me one a year ago .It was my first kit and my first plane i learned to fly 35 years ago. I was going to build it electrict but it would have not been the same so i put a 20 K+B nitro on her the same as my first one. The original had about 3 1/2 dieheidral on each wing and only 3 channels so i got rid of a bunch of it and put ail on her.

Name:	pronto.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	169242   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	169243   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	169244  
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 AM
road king 97
old hat

I got the hatch done and started to add 1/8 strips to the side of the second deck ,this Ivan does to make the fuse round looking. The bottom fuse sides are box and 90 degrees off of the table but the second level is in and with these little 1/8 x 3/16 pieces added and makes the fuse look alot better. I have to final sand these and stay in plane with each other before sheeting the top rear. Ivan also used 1/4 x 3/16 for the second deck stringers ,this is so you can sand some off again to help with the rounding look of the top. joe

Name:	twin otter 21.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	169245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin otter sides 21.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	169246  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I am sanding and sheeting the top rear of the fuse now but got the cabin sheeted , i left less than a 1/6 space between the hatch and the rest of the fuse for future covering later. It looks like the otter has mean eyes,reminds me of my ex . lol joe

Does have a evil blank stare!

Joe just looking at all the cutting of little sticks makes me cringe. I would not have the patience yet for all that cutting and fitting of small pieces. That would get me frustrated. Of course it would teach me the meaning to measure twice and cut once with a touch of sanding for final fit.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Does have a evil blank stare!

Joe just looking at all the cutting of little sticks makes me cringe. I would not have the patience yet for all that cutting and fitting of small pieces. That would get me frustrated. Of course it would teach me the meaning to measure twice and cut once with a touch of sanding for final fit.
I get days where i dont want to fit small pieces so then i work on cutting the spars for the rudder or elev. The main wing spar is built out of 3/32 balsa in couple pieces with long joint splices and 1/8 x1/8 sticks top and bottom of the spar to cover these splices. I went out yesterday and bought some hardwood for these sticks so if iam tired of sticks i can always prefab the main spar too. Always something different to do on a plane like this so i dont loose interest in it or get bored. If i have nothing else to do i could always sand stuff. joe
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Joe, and any other interested readers, Sam and Beverly now have the Chilliwack fly-in photos up on their web page: www.teamtracon.com

Enjoy!

Brad.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
Joe, and any other interested readers, Sam and Beverly now have the Chilliwack fly-in photos up on their web page: www.teamtracon.com

Enjoy!

Brad.
Thanks Brad i was waiting to see them also. joe

Quick Reply: Twin Otter build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15082 seconds with 25 queries