Twin Otter build - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Twin Otter build

Old 05-26-2013, 05:42 PM
park
Clear !

Nice choice of aircraft to build !
Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Joe,

Looking good. They don't call you the King for nothing ! I'm following.

-Hawk
Thanks Hawk welcome to the party Hawk and park ! I got back to building this morning but stopped to drink coffie again so
here is a tip on building with sticks .You cant or should not put pin holes through the 3/16 x 3/16 sticks this is built with,it makes the sticks weak in that spot so i use weights to hold things down and pins on either side of the sticks to hold them from side to side over the plans. I found 20 of the old school round weights at a scrap yard for 5 bucks and the square chunks of 1/2 inch thick steel i got at my steel supply company. They are just scrap pieces to them so you can get some for scrap prices . My steel company knows me and tells me just to take what i want and get the he#% out.lmao joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter weights.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	169049  

Last edited by road king 97; 05-26-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Joe and Jimmy:
Yes, I'll post a link as soon as the photos are up. It sometimes takes Team Tracon a few days to process and post them, as they take HUGE numbers of them.

I got up this morning, with the truck loaded last night, ready to go, but it's bucketing rain. The forecast is for sun by noon, so I guess we'll get a late start today. That's just the way it is, here in "West Coast Rainforest" country.

Joe, helping new folks in the hobby feels good, doesn't it. I always remember how helpful the "old timers" were when I started out, and try my best to pay it back. That sharing of knowledge is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
Joe and Jimmy:
Yes, I'll post a link as soon as the photos are up. It sometimes takes Team Tracon a few days to process and post them, as they take HUGE numbers of them.

I got up this morning, with the truck loaded last night, ready to go, but it's bucketing rain. The forecast is for sun by noon, so I guess we'll get a late start today. That's just the way it is, here in "West Coast Rainforest" country.

Joe, helping new folks in the hobby feels good, doesn't it. I always remember how helpful the "old timers" were when I started out, and try my best to pay it back. That sharing of knowledge is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable.
Plus one on that there were 4 old farts that took a 17 year old snotty biker kid under there wing(me) and taught me some cool stuff about building but sadly they are gone now except one. I try to pay them back and help hobby as much as i can. Sorry to hear about the rain ,hope it clears up soon. I have seen videos of Ivan flying in a slow steady rain tho and he still looked like he was having a blast . joe
Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
road king 97
old hat

Lets remember here in the US our fallen troops today ! The last 4 remaining flyers out of 80 from the Doolittle raid on Japan ,flying B-25's meet and drank a toast to the ones who have past last thursday . They were caught after the raid and in prison and some were shot down and died and gave it all so we could be free. joe

Name:	doolittle raid.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	169050  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Brner
AMA16634

Subscribed.......
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 AM
BradT

Here's a link to some pictures from yesterday's fly-in, including a shot of the Twin Otter built by Frank from Ivan's plans, for a little inspiration for your build, Joe. It flew very nicely, of course

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1800687&page=9

I drove out to the Chilliwack field at noon today, but the weatherman lied! It was still raining at 2:15, when I left, and not a soul showed up. It wasn't a wasted trip though, since I had to retrieve my pop-up sunshade and folding table, which I had so wisely left there yesterday, so that I wouldn't have to take it down and set it up twice
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 AM
road king 97
old hat

Here's a link to some pictures from yesterday's fly-in, including a shot of the Twin Otter built by Frank from Ivan's plans, for a little inspiration for your build, Joe. It flew very nicely, of course

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1800687&page=9

I drove out to the Chilliwack field at noon today, but the weatherman lied! It was still raining at 2:15, when I left, and not a soul showed up. It wasn't a wasted trip though, since I had to retrieve my pop-up sunshade and folding table, which I had so wisely left there yesterday, so that I wouldn't have to take it down and set it up twice
Great pictures Brad i seen scott from the UK in the pictures ,i was supose to meet him on his way through Chicago but my work and mothers day put it off. I have been tracking him at Joe Nall fly in and and talked with him while there . He built the smaller twin otter with flaps and flys it alot. Sorry to hear about sunday but at least they had good weather yesterday. Iam happy to see Ivan in his element and so many friends around him and i wish i was there even in the rain. joe
Old 05-27-2013, 04:46 AM
road king 97
old hat

Alright back to building ,i got a little time in before my son wanted to play and eat the two things he is great at. lol I left the second fuse on the plan and swung the other one on top and they came out great with a small spot on the tail that needs less than a 1/16 sanded so i marked it to sand. Before the sides come off i marked all the locations of the sticks on top and the curverd bottom pieces off of the plan so i wont have to measure them all later and pull my hair out. Ivan builds his planes almost like a two story house ,all the studs or in this case sticks line up over each other going up or down but some sticks or curved formers are only 1/8 thick so you need to mark each one. I have to put two stringers from the rear of the wing double piece to the tail on each side but its the same width of the fuse by the rear wing and gets narrower from there to the tail .This starts to get the fuse a round look and the round pieces on across those realy gives the fuse some round shape. The bottom of the fuse is just the rounded cross members with out the sticks leaning in and two stringers . I will get pictures of this soon so its clear ,i build better that i explain things some times. I just got a new camera so you will get some better pictures from here out also. Every one a great day tomorow and eat a big steak for me. joe

Name:	twin otter the same.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	169061   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter lay out.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	169062  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 AM
BradT

Keep on cutting and gluing those sticks, Joe, and before you know it there's a plane sitting on your table, just like magic!

I got to meet Scott late yesterday afternoon, after he had driven all the way from Nelson, BC, to Chilliwack - that's about 8 hrs at the wheel, over 4 high mountain passes - so he and his lovely lady were a little tired and hungry, but he got a flight or 2 on the little blue and yellow fun flyer he'd brought from Britain with him. I see that Hal has posted some more pics at the link above, as the rain let up enough to get out to the pond for a few more flights late this afternoon. One of the pics is a good shot of Arvid's Albatross on the water; very pretty.

Just as you had your coffee break this morning, I'm having mine now; that's a coffee mixed with Tim Hortons cocoa (Canadian essential ingredient), and a generous shot of Baileys Irish Cream. In other words, I'm drinking my dessert.

BTW, that's me standing on the table at the pilots meeting, so you know who to avoid if you ever do get up here to fly with Ivan and the gang.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 AM
road king 97
old hat

Keep on cutting and gluing those sticks, Joe, and before you know it there's a plane sitting on your table, just like magic!

I got to meet Scott late yesterday afternoon, after he had driven all the way from Nelson, BC, to Chilliwack - that's about 8 hrs at the wheel, over 4 high mountain passes - so he and his lovely lady were a little tired and hungry, but he got a flight or 2 on the little blue and yellow fun flyer he'd brought from Britain with him. I see that Hal has posted some more pics at the link above, as the rain let up enough to get out to the pond for a few more flights late this afternoon. One of the pics is a good shot of Arvid's Albatross on the water; very pretty.

Just as you had your coffee break this morning, I'm having mine now; that's a coffee mixed with Tim Hortons cocoa (Canadian essential ingredient), and a generous shot of Baileys Irish Cream. In other words, I'm drinking my dessert.

BTW, that's me standing on the table at the pilots meeting, so you know who to avoid if you ever do get up here to fly with Ivan and the gang.
Ha Ha iam gluing it but now is when we get to the part where you almost have to build it in the air and nothing to pin it down to. The top flat spot in front of the wing is looking good to me and i think thats where iam going, to do the bottom first. Iam glad scott made his way through the US and up to see Ivan and yes he is a good lady. The albatross is on my build list next and i have the plans already. Thanks for the great report on the flyin and post more here if you get any. I could look at them all flying all day and wish i lived closer. joe
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Lets remember here in the US our fallen troops today ! The last 4 remaining flyers out of 80 from the Doolittle raid on Japan ,flying B-25's meet and drank a toast to the ones who have past last thursday . They were caught after the raid and in prison and some were shot down and died and gave it all so we could be free. joe
+1 Joe !We're losing the greatest generation. My Dad was a Tech Sarge/Crew Chief on a B-24 Liberator. 93rd Bombardment group. I wear his dog tags.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
+1 Joe !We're losing the greatest generation. My Dad was a Tech Sarge/Crew Chief on a B-24 Liberator. 93rd Bombardment group. I wear his dog tags.
Hawk my uncle was a belly turret gunner in a B-17 . I had many talks with him before he passed away about his service. BTW i was a Navy man like yourself but did not want to be a lifer so when my time was up i went into construction field . I think i read a post from you that you were in the Navy ? joe
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
BradT

Joe, Hawk, it seems we have a lot in common. My Dad was Canadian Army Service Corps (motor pool), landed on Juno Beach on D-Day, and drove ambulance from there to Berlin over the next few months, while uncle Pete was RCAF, flying Lancs out of England. He was shot down and captured in occupied France, and spent almost 2 years as a POW. All but the youngest of Dad's 5 brothers served during WW II. My service was Cdn Army Sig. Corps in the early '60s.

In Canada, we don't celebrate Memorial Day today, but have Rememberance Day on Nov. 11th. I salute your servicemen today, anyway, with great thanks, and remember them again on Nov. 11th.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM
road king 97
old hat

Joe, Hawk, it seems we have a lot in common. My Dad was Canadian Army Service Corps (motor pool), landed on Juno Beach on D-Day, and drove ambulance from there to Berlin over the next few months, while uncle Pete was RCAF, flying Lancs out of England. He was shot down and captured in occupied France, and spent almost 2 years as a POW. All but the youngest of Dad's 5 brothers served during WW II. My service was Cdn Army Sig. Corps in the early '60s.

In Canada, we don't celebrate Memorial Day today, but have Rememberance Day on Nov. 11th. I salute your servicemen today, anyway, with great thanks, and remember them again on Nov. 11th.
Its always good to remember our fallen and tell our children about war so hopfully there won't be others. We in the US have never seen war like in the UK and other places where it happened but our service men have went to help many. joe
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
road king 97
old hat

Ok iam trying to catch all the things on my plans so once i put the next top stringers on the fuse rear so there wont be any issues. I made a gauge for my wing rear double and made the doubles also and checked the wing hole to see how wide it is . Its supose to be both on the plan's and my marks on my fuse top are 11 inches exactly and they both are . I also cut out the rudder spars and marked the location of the rudder ribs and drew a center line on them so they come out straight while building them. I will draw a center line on my rudder ribs also. I hope iam not giving to much imfo but iam trying to show that a little before hand prep will save you a bunch of pain later. joe

Name:	twin otter wing doubler gauge.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	169092   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter rudder marked out..jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	169093  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
road king 97
old hat

Here are some fast pictures today ,i got the sides pinned down over the plans and had to build a fast jig to hold the tail section up .I used a clear plastic square to hold to the sides with my weights and glued in the rear wing double using my pattern i cut out earlyer. Now that i have almost everything all lined up over the plan its time to put more sticks again on the top rear and bottom . joe

Name:	twin otter 5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	169099   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 6.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	169100   Click image for larger version

Name:	twinn otter 7.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	169101   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	169102  
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Joe the build is looking pretty good so far, and you are becoming handy with the camera. I don't think I would ever take a close up like you did of joints. My joints never come out that good.

The old dog is learning the ways of the camera and uploading them. By the time you are done with this build you will be a master of taking videos to.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Joe the build is looking pretty good so far, and you are becoming handy with the camera. I don't think I would ever take a close up like you did of joints. My joints never come out that good.

The old dog is learning the ways of the camera and uploading them. By the time you are done with this build you will be a master of taking videos to.
Thanks Gramps i have to sand them a couple times to make them fit tight but cutting angles was all i did as a carpenter for 30 years. I have to wear my glasses now or the joints dont fit good .lol I will never learn to take great pictures just enough to get by but most can see what iam doing. We have rain here till saterday so alot more sticks to glue up till then. joe
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
BradT

Shaping up very nicely, Joe.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
road king 97
old hat

Shaping up very nicely, Joe.
Thanks Brad once i get it all square and lined up and more braces in the frame it will be fine but when it is still able to move it has a mind of its own . lol Iam use to Ivans light airframes and they are so light there is not much to hold them together like a normal rc kit. I think thats the reason i and many others like building them so much . joe
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 AM
road king 97
old hat

A little more from hour or so today This is the second story i was talking about and the tiny sticks i put in now will angle over to the second floor deck then the round formers sit on top of all of that. lol joe

Name:	twin otter 10.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	169105  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Joe all those sticks remind me of a Mini Telemaster I made. Sticks sticks, and more sticks to glue together to make the fuselage. Watching you make this plane I can see why Ivan's planes are so light.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Joe all those sticks remind me of a Mini Telemaster I made. Sticks sticks, and more sticks to glue together to make the fuselage. Watching you make this plane I can see why Ivan's planes are so light.
Ha Ha i start out in a good stick cuting and fitting mood but before the fuse is just about done my mood has gone south. I try to get the fuse done fast so it wont come to the blues.lol joe
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I did the same with the Tele fuse. I built that first, and I was so glad to build the wings next.

Quick Reply: Twin Otter build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16572 seconds with 24 queries