Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Twin Otter build

Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 PM
road king 97
old hat

Default Twin Otter build

I was not going to do a build thread on my newest build but a couple people talked me into it .Sit back and relax its going to be a big plane and i build slow also. Some of you seen my last Short Solent build and again these plans are from the master himself Ivan This is his 600 size twin otter and has around a 65 inch long fuse a 84 inch wing span . The rudder stands 14 inches above the fuse. There was a laser cut short kit for this plane so i said WHY NOT ! On most all of my builds i cut every thing out by hand but iam getting lazy in my old age ,besides the short kit has few parts in it, Ivans planes are mostly sticks . lol Here are a few pictures of my solent framed up then done and the last 2 pictures is the Twin otter fuse starting to get framed up . This is most of the side of the fuse and you can see its all sticks to keep it light. I'am building it with scale flaps but have not picked a plane to model it after. So kick back and watch me break sticks cut my fingers say alot of swear words and do what i enjoy doing so much. BTW Ivans planes are the lightest planes for electrict flight there are ,thats why i and 100's of others love building them. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0104.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	168973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7017.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	168974   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	168975   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	168976  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
pd1
Still Learning

subscribed
Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 PM
road king 97
old hat

Here are a couple pictures of Ivans otter. Ivans DH-6 twin otter and the same one iam building is 1/9 scale .wing area 956sq.in. and his weighs 100 ounces with batterys but that was in 1985 when he was flying with c size nicads for power ,it should be lighter today with lipos and i hope i come close . joe

Name:	TwinOtter5 ivans.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	168977   Click image for larger version

Name:	TwOtter22 ivans.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	168978  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
subscribed
Glad you droped in PD1 .joe
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 PM
dgjessing

Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Me too! I'd never have the patience to build one of these, but I can appreciate it and I'll watch.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Joe I am looking forward to following along, and watching your progress.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 AM
road king 97
old hat

Ok i will explan some old school building stuff along the way while i get my afternoon coffie . When your doing stick fuse sides they have to match each other perfectly .Some builders leave the first set over the plans and then put more wax paper over it and build another fuse side on top and that works alright but its a pain in the ars to hold the second one in place . If the fuse is curved like this one is its even worce. So when i build my first half i dont push my T pins all the way in to my 3/4 thick board underneeth my plans .When iam done with the first fuse half i it take off by only taking the pins i need to out to get the first one off .Once its out of the way i can line up the new stick pieces on the pins i left in and the ones i pulled out i can push them back in the old holes but further in this time to hold every thing just like the last fuse half. While we are talking about sticks ,fuse sticks should be firm and not easy to break but if you try to buy sticks they are made from the softest garage and break to easy so i buy kinda hard balsa planks in 36 inches long x 3 or 4 inch widths plus the thickness and with a 6 dollar balsa stripper cut my own. It only takes a few minutes to make narrow 1/8 in narrow strips or even 1 in wide strips with the balsa stripper . Plus compare the price of one stick they sell to a bunch out of one plank. The picture is the second fuse half using the old pins and the other picture is my stripper and razor plane both cheap ones from master airscrew .Coffies done time to get back to building.lol joe

Name:	twin otter 4.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	168981   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin otter 3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	168982  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 AM
road king 97
old hat

Gramps its always a pleasure when you drop in for my builds . Xmech2k After you build one or two of these it gets easyer every time ,this one i lost the e-mailed directions that Ivan sent me but after building the solent i think i can build it with out them. Ivan puts EVERYTHING on his hand drawn plans all you need to do is stare at it long enough to find what your looking for. joe
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Great choice of subject Joe! Don't you just love twins??
I'm going to enjoy following an "old school" build.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Joe, I'll be following this build, as I am also a huge fan of Ivan's models. I'll be flying with him all this weekend, at the "World Famous" Chilliwack Spring Fly-In. I often get the chance to fly his models, and hope that will be the case again this year. If so, I'll certainly report back here. There are already fliers arriving for the meet, some from as far away as Norway. For more details on the event, see the thread on RC Groups - Chilliwack Spring Fly-In 2013
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
rreid7

I'll be watching along also. I've looked at Ivan's site with interest many times, and will enjoy the "behind the scenes" look at how his designs go together. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
road king 97
old hat

Brad T i hope you have a great time at the flyin with Ivan, i hope to make it there one day. I have already told a few going there to say hello to him for me. Rrread sure pull up a chair and realax cause its going to be a longer build .Ivans desighns go together light ,thats how he thinks and builds .I counted 2 small pieces of very thin ply on whole fuse and the main spar for the wing is made with 3/16 balsa spliced together and 1/8 bass strips placed in spots. It took me building the solent and watching videos of Ivan doing rolls and loops with his solent to trust his building the wings like this but it all works well and its very light. joe
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Voyeur!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
road king 97
old hat

Welcome riverrat i have flying friends in Paulding Ga and i'am even a member in their club. joe
Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM
riverrat

Joe

Paulding is about 300 mi. from here as
the crow flies.
I am down here on the coast below
Savannah.
Looking fwd. to your build, love old
school stick builds.

Regards
Jimmy
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

What? Not a Seaplane? Boring!
Joe, I'm kidding. I love following builds! I will check this one often.

BTW, you are going to put floats on it right?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
What? Not a Seaplane? Boring!
Joe, I'm kidding. I love following builds! I will check this one often.

BTW, you are going to put floats on it right?
Yes i already have the floats for it and it will look great on the water. Neons has already teased me about building a plane with wheels and about not using foam to build it. lol I cant win joe
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

You will probably have foam on this one Joe.
That is if you get the floats from seaplane supply.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
You will probably have foam on this one Joe.
That is if you get the floats from seaplane supply.
I built a big set of balsa very light scale EDO floats for a friend's DH- beaver 10 years ago and they were sitting by my shop door the other day with a note that said thanks for building them and loaning them me but your twin otter will need them now .(thanks ray) lol I have some great friends in this hobby I was going to buy a set from seaplane supply and bash them into a scale EDO floats but now i dont have to.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Joe, you would have loved the float flying today! There were at least 20 pilots, and many of them were flying Ivan designs, and some were actually Ivan-built models that he had sold on to make room for new ones. One fellow had Ivan's original 100" PBY, with retracts, and his original Mars, There were at least 3 Solents, a Twin Otter, and the Grumman Albatross built by Arvid, in Norway, and brought all the way over here to fly with Ivan. That one is gorgeous in it's Red Bull livery. Another flyer had brought a Shoestring racer, built by Ivan in 1977, fitted with floats, and had the man himself maiden it.It flew beautifully, of course. I'm grinning ear to ear, just typing this, it was such a great day, and I get to do it again tomorrow. Doesn't get much better than this!

In a few days, there will be dozens, maybe even hundreds, of photos of the event posted on the thread I mentioned above, most of them taken by Beverly and Sam Jay, who have an incredible knack for capturing models in flight. Beverly told me she filled two 8GB camera cards today, so I know she got some real keepers.

Brad.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM
riverrat

Mr. BRADT

Please give us a link when
the pics are posted?

Regards
Jimmy
Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
Joe, you would have loved the float flying today! There were at least 20 pilots, and many of them were flying Ivan designs, and some were actually Ivan-built models that he had sold on to make room for new ones. One fellow had Ivan's original 100" PBY, with retracts, and his original Mars, There were at least 3 Solents, a Twin Otter, and the Grumman Albatross built by Arvid, in Norway, and brought all the way over here to fly with Ivan. That one is gorgeous in it's Red Bull livery. Another flyer had brought a Shoestring racer, built by Ivan in 1977, fitted with floats, and had the man himself maiden it.It flew beautifully, of course. I'm grinning ear to ear, just typing this, it was such a great day, and I get to do it again tomorrow. Doesn't get much better than this!

In a few days, there will be dozens, maybe even hundreds, of photos of the event posted on the thread I mentioned above, most of them taken by Beverly and Sam Jay, who have an incredible knack for capturing models in flight. Beverly told me she filled two 8GB camera cards today, so I know she got some real keepers.

Brad.
By all means post some pictures here Brad so others can see Ivans birds or post a link please . I hope you guys get good weather both days it has rained there in the past . I know about Beverly and Sam at TRACON ,they take some of the best pictures i have ever seen of our hobby. Sounds like all are having a great time and i wish i could go one of these years. joe
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM
road king 97
old hat

I have not gotten much done in the last day or so . Friday i got a call from a noob flyer who had tore his main landing gear out of the wings on one plane and ripped off his nose wheel and crushed the firewall on another. My local hobby shop gave him my name and number because he is from Lousiana working on oil pipe lines up here and did not know anyone or have any tools of his own. lol I had him tear the old wing blocks out ( gently) at my shop while i hunted through my tons of stuff for new wing blocks . We got both fixed in 5 hours and i had covering that matched ,plus he got a lesson on how to cut open his plane and not be affraid of it .lmao He texted me I- phone pictures this morning of both planes flying with a big smile on his face so not building my stuff for a day was ok with me. joe
Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Joe,

Looking good. They don't call you the King for nothing ! I'm following.

-Hawk

Quick Reply: Twin Otter build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10973 seconds with 18 queries