Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Reload this Page >

new to this hobby!! got a j3 cub BL where and how can i do small upgrades?

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

new to this hobby!! got a j3 cub BL where and how can i do small upgrades?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 AM
shurelockjuice
Nubee

Default new to this hobby!! got a j3 cub BL where and how can i do small upgrades?

I just got a new j3 cub BL and first of all I broke the propeller how do I replace that? and what should i replace from the get go that came in the box so i can have good flights?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Hi there and welcome to WattFlyer! I take it this is the ParkZone J3 Brushless Cub ??

If so, to replace your prop you need to remove the spinner which secures it to the prop adapter. You can use a screwdriver or allen wrench or really any sturdy metal rod shaped tool - slide it through the hole in the prop adapter and gently rotate counter-clockwise to remove the spinner. See attached photo of the prop adapter and spinner. Then, remove the broken prop and replace with a new one. Again, if this is indeed the ParkZone model the stock prop is part # PKZ1014 in case you don't have a spare. Then, re-attach the spinner. Make sure you check that the motor shaft is not bent. You didn't mention how the prop broke so I assume in a crash.

Is this your first R/C plane? Also, why do you feel the need to upgrade right away? If you give us a bit more info we'll be able to better assist you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	j3bl-prop_adapter.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	89735  

Last edited by *rider; 01-09-2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: forgot pic attachment
Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 AM
shurelockjuice
Nubee

Default ParkZone J3 Brushless Cub

IT IS a ParkZone J3 Brushless Cub and i do have a spare prop i had to call a couple hobby stores but got one! i will check to make sure nothing is bent because i did crash it because i couldnt wait for a calm day but that is no longer the case i will wait for a good day to fly this plane again! i was only really wanting to upgrade the battery for longer flight times they seem rather short but it could be the average flight times but that is the only upgrade was looking to make was on the battery! and I saw a couple old post on this site where they were going to add a tail wheel on it but they were also saying that if you did that you would loose prop clearance so i guess what i am getting at is where would i find a wheel for that and what would be the best way to add this wheel?and what about a diffrent remote for the plane than what came with it? thank you for your time
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Well, as far as a tail wheel mod I really have not researched that. I'm sure it can be done however I suspect it would take some ingenuity. I have the super decath BL and it's very similar. The rudder is kinda flimsy. Personally, I don't think it's worth it but that's just me. And yes, I'd imagine you would lose prop clearance. I just hand launch fly around and do my best to land gently. You should be able to obtain all kinds of wheels at your local hobby shop(s) I'd check there first so you can look before you buy.

Regarding batteries - the batt. compartment is pretty tight. I have not taken dimensions, I suspect 800mAh is about the highest capacity 2S Lipo you can fit in there. I use the parkzone battery and a couple Zippy 800mAh's (they barely fit w/the wiring).

Regarding a radio - this really comes down to how serious about this hobby are you & what do you plan to fly in the future, budget, features, etc. there's alot of options out there. You would need to replace the radio receiver ~($50) with one compatible with your new transmitter and wire / mount it all up. Usually new computer radios include a receiver w/the radio so you could use a small parkflyer receiver if it was included.

Sometimes, it's better to just stick w/what you got & fly the heck out of it until you have a clear picture of what you want to do next & what type of models you have on your wish list & plan ahead to make good purchasing decisions. Reasearch is key. I waited until I had flown enough to completely trash my first plane & repaired / replaced parts many times over before making the next steps. Just a suggestion. Wealth of knowledge here & experience so read up

Last edited by *rider; 01-11-2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Correction - the ESC/RX is not integrated - I was thinking SuperCub
Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 PM
shurelockjuice
Nubee

Default thanks

Yea I already have to replace a few more things on the plane before the next flight and it will teach me more about the plane so it a good and bad thing but thank you for all your advice very helpful this hobby can be over whelming so you don't do runway takeoffs? how long have you been flying ? if you have pictures of your planes would you send them to me i have always loved planes but just recently been able to afford to look at this hobby its a lot to take in!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
calsurfer

Talking Fly it stock!!!

Hey Shurelock...I have the J3 Brushless and fly it bone stock! I love it! It is quick and very responsive...I get plenty of floght time and the 2 cell 800mah packs are cheap...I have 5 that I charge up and rotate through the day... can't say enough good about this sweet little park flyer
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

If you're looking for an upgrade to do beyond just a bigger battery, you can do like I did with my J-3; I cut out bomb bay doors in the bottom of the tail section of the fuselage and attached them to a servo on channel 5. Now I can just flip my gear switch and the bomb bay doors open, dropping out paratroopers, ping pong balls, or whatever. Great fun.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 AM
ibmaxed

The pz J3 cub was my first plane, eight months down the road and im flying an IC 60in low wing aerobatic trainer. The cub is a great plane to learn from. i strengthened the front bulkhead with filler foam, thats the only change i did. I have just recently purchased a hyperion 10e J3 cub as i liked the pz one so much. This has a 46in wingspan and is balsa, plus has ailerons, so soon i will be flying another yellow bird.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 AM
shurelockjuice
Nubee

Default keeping it stock!

thanks calsurfer i have 2 batteries for the plane i just rotate those too! i like the pics thanks everbody else for your time!!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

Like it's been said, it's a really great plane. I use APC 8x6 props, since they're stronger and easier to get. You can get an E-Flite 800 mah 3s lipo in the battery compartment if you want, but I almost always use the stock battery. I found the tailwheel to be a nice addition after I'd flown it awhile, along with bigger wheels, but it flies just fine stock. Needs a lot of right rudder on takeoff to keep it from ground looping.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 AM
shurelockjuice
Nubee

Default alright

OK a 8x6 prop i will look into that because the 8x5.5 is harder to find that comes stock how hard would you say it is tight land this plane because i just about loose my drawers everytime and oanic and crash it does anybody have some pointers please!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 AM
C140
Tailwheels Fly Better

I wouldn't say it is incredibly difficult to land. It will get out of hand once it's on the ground and slows down enough for the rudder to become ineffective, but as long as you have enough room, it shouldn't be an issue. It does take a little finesse to get it right. I think the easiest way to land it is to put the throttle to idle and let it glide until it's just above the ground, and then pull back a little to flare. If you pull back to fast, it'll stall and go in nose first. I don't know what surface you're flying from, but if it's hard, you should be able to pick up how to land it fairly quickly. If it's grass, you're probably better off just taking the gear off and belly landing it.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Hey there again! Yes, this hobby can be very overwhelming at times however I find the rewards priceless You're in the right place here @ WF this community has helped me immensely although I don't post much I read here as often as time allows.

I have only been flying since July of last year. I don't do runway takeoffs (ROG's as we call them or Roll Off Ground) on my smaller planes or those lacking landing gear of course, it's just a personal preference I suppose. I don't own a digital camera (ya, I know it's silly) but if you look at my signature you'll see what I have at the moment. Many of them have yet to maiden, I'm not hooked up with a local club and I only have one flying buddy with about the same experience as me so I would like to find a veteran to check, maiden, trim & buddy box w/me before I solo them. All of my planes are from E-Flite and ParkZone/HobbyZone, with the exception of the Phase 3 EF-16 jet. I just recently joined the AMA so I will check out the local club when I have time.

I am somewhat lucky in that there is an abandoned airport 15 minutes away and the "caretaker" if you will is OK with R/C so I fly there sometimes. The runway is not maintained so I have to be careful about where I takeoff/land. Sometimes I see other pilots out there and we're cordial to each other although I seem to be the only pilot with electrics. No offense intended to glow / gassers however I have a really hard time focusing with these loud, fast, and usually larger models whizzing all over the place. Sorry for the ramble, glad you are here

Originally Posted by shurelockjuice View Post
Yea I already have to replace a few more things on the plane before the next flight and it will teach me more about the plane so it a good and bad thing but thank you for all your advice very helpful this hobby can be over whelming so you don't do runway takeoffs? how long have you been flying ? if you have pictures of your planes would you send them to me i have always loved planes but just recently been able to afford to look at this hobby its a lot to take in!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 AM
greenflash
Greenflash

Hi,

I own a Parkzone J3 BL Cub, and it flies well for me. I'd say that it flies faster and is less durable than the Hobbyzone Supercub, which I also fly. Which makes the Supercub better for beginners. Ther J3 is also lighter and more affected by wind.

I have a number of 900 maH 2s Mystery Lipo batteries, which are the same size as the stock 800 maH J3 lipo. I stocked up on them from DealExtreme for $7 apiece and I use them on 4 of my planes. I haven't found anything similar in price.
I also highly recommend a good Lipo charger if you are going to stick with the hobby long term. The FMA Direct Cellpro 4s is well-loved by its owners, for good reason. They are on sale for $50 now that the new Multi 4 model is out. They charge cells separately, which is safer (I still charge Lipos inside a Pyrex dish and watch them carefully), and will tell you exactly how much you are running down your batteries so you can adjust flight times accordingly. The stock charger won't do any of these. See fmadirect.com
Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:52 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Great advice, greenflash. I'm also a big fan of the Mystery Lipos and have been pointing people at them for a long time now--you just can't beat the value for the money. And if I didn't already my Imax B6, I'd probably be all over one of those Cellpro 4s's. For all the positive buzz they receive, it's a great buy for $50.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Exclamation Bomb Door setup

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
If you're looking for an upgrade to do beyond just a bigger battery, you can do like I did with my J-3; I cut out bomb bay doors in the bottom of the tail section of the fuselage and attached them to a servo on channel 5. Now I can just flip my gear switch and the bomb bay doors open, dropping out paratroopers, ping pong balls, or whatever. Great fun.
I'm wanting to build bomb bay doors using one servo to actuate them!

Do you have anything that would help me constructing mine?

I like the option of candy drops, parachute and the like. My grandchildren absolutely love watching the sky divers!

I made a simple setup which pulled a rod through a tube releasing the payload. I don't want to have to add a ring to everything in order to attach it to the release rod!!