WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

40" Nieuport 28 by Maxford!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Kmot

Default 40" Nieuport 28 by Maxford!

http://www.maxfordusa.com/nieuport-28ep40arf.aspx

It looks great! Far, far better than the earlier, smaller version I purcahsed. Although I spent a lot of time kit bashing mine to make it look right, this new one looks good right out of the box!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but it still looks a little wonky to me. I just can't get over the too big/ too long cowl. I know it's hard to get the old rotary engined planes to balance w/o extending out the nose, but it ruins the lines of the plane in my eyes.

I thought you were referring to this - http://www.maxfordusa.com/nieuport-28glowgas68arf.aspx I saw that a few months ago and thought, they need to scale that down, it looks much better.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
http://www.maxfordusa.com/nieuport-28ep40arf.aspx

It looks great! Far, far better than the earlier, smaller version I purcahsed. Although I spent a lot of time kit bashing mine to make it look right, this new one looks good right out of the box!
Nice but that cowl is far too long. I flew a full scale 60" job in Comps in UK and funny enough in the "Flying Hat" colours of the advertised squadron. It did not look like the adverts picture ! .... here it is :

and the source of my avatar :

The last picture is me setting her up for South UK Scale Comp at Beaulieu in 1984 I think it was ... I placed 8th ... so not too bad !

I have to say though - it was a pig to take off or land ... that short length ahead of U/C and long fuselage to tail was terrible to control on the ground. I believe the full size original was not so good either !

There is one bit of history that advert seemed to forget. The Nieuport was shunned by French Flyers as it a) used to shed it's wing covering, in some cases the lower wing and b) the engine was prone to catch fire.
The French offered their Nieuports to the US Pilots who came over to help Brits and French even before officially any US pilots came over ... basically they were the only planes in any number available.
If the plane didn't succumb to any of it's faults - it WAS a good fighter ...

I think it was a good looking airframe ... but I do not want another having battled with mine to tame it's ground looping, tip scraping antics !