Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

ICS Turbo-3000 motor

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Default ICS Turbo-3000 motor

Hi. Sorry this is off topic but I was hoping someone might know since it is motor related.

ICS Turbo-3000 motor is for my son's airsoft rifle. Airsoft normally run 6 or 7 cell nicads, but I'm reading they sometimes put Li-P in them and the key is to have metal gears. In this case it does have metal gears but I'm wondering if the extra voltage will shorten the life of the motor and I can't find any specs on it.

Generally if a brushed motor can handle 9.6v is it ok to run 11.1 volts ok? Going down to the lower voltage of a 2-cell Li-P is not an option. For airsoft the motor is already considered a hi-perf motor.

What I'm looking for is longer run-time and/or less weight. Plus these nicads cost like $50+.

Oh and I have asked on the airsoft forums and they don't seem to know. They know the effects and understand the mechanical aspects well but not motor specs very well. The flexibility of motors is not like what it is for our planes.

thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

I had an ICS MP-5 that had the Turbo 3000 motor in it. I tried the lipo in it, and while it did perform at an insane rate of fire, it burned up. I replaced the motor twice before giving up. One problem was that the motor got insanely hot. There is practically zero cooling for the motor. The motors handled the power, but not the heat generated. The KWA models are supposed to be Lipo ready from the box, but again lack cooling of the motor for long bursts.

IF and a big IF...the rate of fire was kept to short bursts, it MAY be ok. You may have to reduce the spring to aid in the reduction of strain on the motor. Again, it's not so much the voltage that hurt the motors... it's the insane amount of heat that has no where to go.

I admittedly blew mine out in an insane hail of Airsoft BB's. I had set it up specifically for a high rate of fire but low FPS for close quarters combat. Before getting out of airsoft, I seriously considered modifying my old MP-5 with a brushless motor, ESC and Lipo. I came to the conclusion that the gearbox most likely would not handle the strain.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Awesome. This is really great info. Motors are about $50 too so I might shelf this idea for now. My son isn't real mechanical minded so having something go wrong on the battlefield isn't a great idea. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

No problem. Do what I did with my son. I stressed heavily.... One shot...one kill... It's cool to watch a stream of BB's... But the true warrior does with one what the weakling does with 50. I did a lot of work on a Sniper rifle, and he did quite well with it. Nothing ticks off a player like getting hit and having no clue where it came from.

We unfortunately lost our playing area a couple of years ago. I actually was a dealer, which is where Idealhobbies came from. That was my official business name. I was set up as a licensed dealer so that I could buy what everyone needed and pay wholesale costs. Worked quite well. When we lost our local play area, the players scattered to the wind and no one ever reconnected with another field. I ended up selling our stuff off. It was unfortunate, but in this "Sue me" environment we live in now-a-day's, we were never able to find anyone who would let us play on their land.

If I ever find a reconnection, I'd play again. But, unfortunately, it has not happened.