WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

ElectriFly Fokker

Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
7car7

That's heart breaking for sure. Really bummed for ya.

It might be time for a new airframe with that one. Unless you make a LOT of changes, typically repairs only add weight, which makes them more likely to crash hard anyway.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
7car7

btw, those photos sort of reinforce my thoughts about how so many planes are built - the rear half is over built.

You hardly EVER see the tail section broken. If the tail section can be built lighter (weaker), then the front can be that much lighter also.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I almost cried at the site of that poor fokker.
My sympathy.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
79CJ
Hu?

The kind comments are why I read/ post in this forum as opposed to others - a lot of good people here, thank you all.

Don't feel too sorry for me, crashes happen when you're learning. I'll probably end up just making a new front end that is simple and boxy and just mate it to the tail. With that much damage, I'm just going to try to make it a nice training platform. The only part that I am iffy about fixing is the upper wing, one side of it is pretty much shattered. I'll be able to tell better once I get off work and go home.

The creative juices want me to make it into a D.VI...
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Now is the perfect time to get rid of that red paint scheme. My SE5A has looked like that a couple of times and it is still flying.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
79CJ
Hu?

I'm home and I've surveyed the damage. The bottom wing isn't really bad at all, clean break in the center. The top wing on the other hand... The one side is just destroyed. I'm not sure how I'll get it back together. Looked at Tower Hobbies for a replacement, $35, kind of steep. I'll figure it out. Motor shaft is bent, glad I ordered some extras so they're already on hand.

The way the front is so destroyed really has me thinking about making it a D.VI.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	130066   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	130067   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	130068  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Post mortem

Nothing pleasent about a post mortem. It looks like a total to me CJ. Hopefully you can glean something from her. Marty
Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I hate to see that you lost your plane but it sounds like you're optomistic about rebuilding it.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

This is just the chance you need to change the paint scheme. Take the covering off the crashed wing. Piece the broken ribs together to make a pattern. Get out the balsa, knife and start cutting new ribs. Make new leading and trailing edges to fit what you can salvage of the wings. Where the new leading edge meets the old cut a groove length wise in both ends. Glue a piece in the groove to hold both pieces together. I try to make the joint between ribs and cut the back of the leading edges off between the ribs to make the groove. Then the piece I add runs unbroken from rib to rib.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM
79CJ
Hu?

I've started removing covering, lots of broken stuff in the wings. The problem with making a rib pattern is that in the top wing each rib is different. I'll figure something out though.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I scratch built a DVII about 1970 and made the ribs by making a plywood root rib and tip rib. Stacked balsa sheet wood for each rib between the plywood ribs with the slot for the spar lined up. Sanded all the balsa to match the angle between the plywood ribs. Maybe you can do the samething. Easy way to make ribs for tapered wing.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Well, I've got the wings back together. Almost all the ribs were broken in some way, but the monokote held it together so I still had most of the pieces which was nice.

Next to be repaired is the fuse. I'm not terribly worried about it, except for the thrust angle for the motor mount. Any ideas on how to get that right? Not nearly enought left of the front end to reconstruct the angle from the factory.

I'm running a Hobby King Turnigy 28-30 motor and the prop shaft that bolts on the frint of it is bent, anyone know if you can just buy this to replace it? I bought spare motor shafts, but that isn't what is bent unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (2).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	130366   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (2).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	130367   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	130368  
Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

Im not sure if you can buy that piece but Jeff at Heads up rc can set you up with a new motor cheap if you have to go that way. When I lawn darted my first DV11 I just made a thin ply firewall to bolt it to ,then I installed it I just eyeballed about 1/8" right and a tiny bit of down ,glued it up and it was fine .It handled just like it did before, not the lawn dart part but the rest of the flying characteristics were the same. When I put the cowl on the motor lined right up with the hole with just a tiny bit of material having to be removed. It flew like a champ.Good work getting those wings put back together by the way.Bob
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Jigsaw puzzle

CJ You must'a been good at jigsaw puzzles as a kid! Amazing! Don't know if I would have put her back together again. marty
Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

I agree Marty,first class work,thats way out of my league as far as rebuilding goes. B
Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
CJ You must'a been good at jigsaw puzzles as a kid! Amazing! Don't know if I would have put her back together again. marty
Ha, actually my other half is the one that loves puzzles - too tedious for me, I can't stand them. Somehow I don't find this tedious...

It really wasn't that bad, far easier than I thought it would be. All I did was fix one thing at a time, a few hours later spread over a few sessions and I had two wings.

Originally Posted by brutus251 View Post
Im not sure if you can buy that piece but Jeff at Heads up rc can set you up with a new motor cheap if you have to go that way. When I lawn darted my first DV11 I just made a thin ply firewall to bolt it to ,then I installed it I just eyeballed about 1/8" right and a tiny bit of down ,glued it up and it was fine .It handled just like it did before, not the lawn dart part but the rest of the flying characteristics were the same. When I put the cowl on the motor lined right up with the hole with just a tiny bit of material having to be removed. It flew like a champ.Good work getting those wings put back together by the way.Bob
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. > $10 will get me a whole new motor. Being a student still, I'd like to fix it as cheaply as possible. Plus, it just feels like a waste because the motor is still solid, just seems like there should be a way to use it!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 PM
7car7

Very impressive job on that wing.

This is a GREAT time to do a serious custom one of a kind job here. I say do the DVI. Would be a lot easier to fab up a round cowl from a bottle or something. And it would be really unique.

And yes, a color change will be awesome!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by 79CJ View Post
I'm running a Hobby King Turnigy 28-30 motor and the prop shaft that bolts on the frint of it is bent, anyone know if you can just buy this to replace it? I bought spare motor shafts, but that isn't what is bent unfortunately.
Take the bent shaft out of the motor. Roll a on a piece of glass(flat surface). When the high spot in the middle of the shaft is up hold the shaft that way. Take shaft to a solid piece of steel and using a hammer, tap the shaft on the high spot. Take the shaft back to the glass and check by rolling. Keep tapping and rolling till the shaft is straight.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Take the bent shaft out of the motor. Roll a on a piece of glass(flat surface). When the high spot in the middle of the shaft is up hold the shaft that way. Take shaft to a solid piece of steel and using a hammer, tap the shaft on the high spot. Take the shaft back to the glass and check by rolling. Keep tapping and rolling till the shaft is straight.
The problem is that it isn't the motor shaft that's bent, it's the prop shaft that bolts on the front of the motor. You can see it in this link - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...less_Outrunner

Because of the flange that bolts to the motor, you can't roll it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone have a pics of a D.VI in color that aren't lozenge. I may just make up my own scheme because there were so few D.VI's.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The shaft

I'm sure you can get another shaft from HK for your motor. Look into it. Come to think of it, I've gotten the shaft a few times myself during some ebay deals I've been involved in. Marty
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

Cj,if its the part with the thread try putting a couple of prop nuts on it to protect the threads . Put it in a vise and try tapping it ,its aluminium so it should straighten without too much force. Hell it cant hurt,if that doesnt work turn the motor around and get a collet adaptor ,youre making a new firewall so that shouldnt be a problem. Bob
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM
alpine

I'm saving up the money so I can pick one of these up, hopefully soon. Looks like a beautiful bird. One thing that draws me away from this plane (not too much...at all lol) is the fact that it only has ailerons on the top wing. Seems like the others would handle better, but I also feel like that little bit gives the plane more originality.

How does everyone like they're Fokker? I plan on running the recommended setup from GP even if it is a little costly. I even want to give the plane a little paintjob to a better scheme. This ones just a bit bland.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

The plane is super ,one of the easiest flying of the whole WW1 series. Ive recovered and dressed up a couple of them.Since the real one just had two ailerons I dont see why there would be more on the model. I just finished a new one.Its amazing what a bit of colored tape and a quick spray of paint will do. Ill try to post a pic. later. I have the recomened power set up in my DR1 and SPAD but for less than half the price of just the rimfire motor and esc you can get the same spec stuff from Jeff at Heads Up RC plus the servos too and only $2 shipping. I have Heads up stuff in all my others and they fly as good or better. B
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

Default New DV11 version!

Its been way too hot and humid all summer to concentrate on doing the recover on my other DV11 so I decided to build a new one and do minor changes just so I could have one to fly,I guess Im having Fokker withdrawl symptoms.Its not done yet but it should be ready to go on Mon. providing Earle doesnt do too much damage. Heres a shot or two,just red and white tape and some white spray paint on the wheels. Brutus
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
alpine

That's a beautiful Fokker! Nice and simple touch-ups, just like I want to do to mine.

Quick Reply: ElectriFly Fokker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10617 seconds with 19 queries