WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

WWI planes

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
79CJ
Hu?

I got some good work done on the “Flying Razor” this weekend. I have the wing all built, it is made with balsa ribs, LE, and TE, and then has 4 basswood spars. I’m sure there is an engineering way to say this, but it is strong and stiff if you try to flex it up or down, but weaker if you twist it. I think I’m going to put some lightweight balsa triangulation in to stiffen it up againts twisting forces. There are also holes in the ribs, not to lighten them, but to allow the servo wires to pass through.

The wing was a bit difficult to build because it tapers in both height and width. The width was easy, but the height was more difficult. It is flat on the top all the way across, but tapers like a dihedral on the underside. I built it upside down, but it is round on the top, so it wanted to roll around. I am pleased with how straight and level it came out.

This is the largest model I've ever built, it is nice to work with larger pieces, it's not so fragile to handle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001_(2).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	129817   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	129818   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	129819  
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
7car7

Wing looks great! Nicely undercambered too. You don't see that very often.

I wouldn't worry about the twisty-ness. I'm sure the covering will give considerable stiffness to it.

What are you covering with btw? Real one was wood covered, but that would be a lot of weight.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Wing

The real wing was sheeted with plywood. I have several sets of plans for this bird including a wing sheeted except for two panels on either side. I personally like a sheeted wing since they are so much stronger. The body on the plane weighs next to nothing so you will not have a weight penalty if you sheet the wing. marty
Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM
79CJ
Hu?

I've been considering sheeting, like the original, but I'm leaning towards covering for 2 reasons - 1, it is easier than fitting pieces thin balsa over the compound curve of the wing - I sheeted a P-47 and did not enjoy myself, and 2, the weight.

I'm planning on a silk and nitrate dope covering. You're probably right 7car7, covering will stiffen it up - and sheeting certainly would. A sheeted wing or fuse might as well be set in concrete.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
Nice build. One of my favorites BTW. I have several sets of plans including one with a 69" WS! Marty PS any more pics/progress?
The DVIII is one of my favorites too. I need one of those in the collection. Considering how I tend to gravitate toward monoplanes, I'm surprised I've built other WWI planes ahead of it. 2 wings = 2 much work.
Originally Posted by 79CJ View Post
I've got the tail surfaces all sanded and the horizontal stab hinged. I've started to use the du-bro teflon hinges. I glue them in easily, so then they break they are soooo much easier to replace than a CA hinge that has turned the whole hinge slot into concrete.

I'm hoping to get working on the wing this weekend.
That's a good one. I've slowly been learning that they don't really need to have the entire pocked flooded with glue, to hold them in. After 4 years or so, I also finally learned that the patience of waiting for 5min epoxy to cure, versus CA, is worth the few extra seconds.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

All this talk about Fokker DVIII and look what I got today. Now I need eye of newt, hair off a frog, left back leg of a lizard, now where did I put my book that tells how to combine them and shake over the plane.
If anyone has the manual for Kavan Fokker DVIII I need to know how much dihedral and COG of the plane.

Name:	kavancrash.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	130060  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default DVIII

You Devil! Where did you get that plane? Marty
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Cool and rare. What a find!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Nice, looks like it was made around the same time as the originals! I'm sure you'll have it fixed up in no time. Can't wait to see it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

You Devil! Where did you get that plane? Marty
A friend about 25 miles away contacted me and offered to trade for a brushless motor and ESC for his Eflite Nieuport. I jumped at the chance. He has see some of the wrecks after I rebuilt them and thought I would enjoy making this one fly again. He said the landing gear was a very weak spot and sense this one is missing knew I would make new landing gear anyway. I looked for a good color scheme and found this one. I am guessing the wing is all brown. This will be my second Kavan plane, I also have the Albatros DVa.

Name:	59_4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	130065  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Scheme

Looks like Lt. Von Bubblebee flys again! Marty
Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

That is a cool plane!!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:18 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Info website Rise of Flight

Check this out Boys! Nice illustrations and good info. Marty

http://riseofflight.com/en/store/planes/Airco_DH2
Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
All this talk about Fokker DVIII and look what I got today. Now I need eye of newt, hair off a frog, left back leg of a lizard, now where did I put my book that tells how to combine them and shake over the plane.
If anyone has the manual for Kavan Fokker DVIII I need to know how much dihedral and COG of the plane.
Nice find. On a short nosed plane like that, I'd go 25% center chord max. It will like lead.
For all practical intent and purpose, the wing profile is slightly forward swept in terms of area, which moves the CG forward, compared with a constant chord, straight wing.
I'd also whack ailerons into it, and not worry much about the dihedral, going scale.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Nice find. On a short nosed plane like that, I'd go 25% center chord max. It will like lead.
For all practical intent and purpose, the wing profile is slightly forward swept in terms of area, which moves the CG forward, compared with a constant chord, straight wing.
I'd also whack ailerons into it, and not worry much about the dihedral, going scale.
I glued the wing back together guessing that the break when put together would set the dihedral correct. I am thinking about adding ailerons to some of my WWI 3 channel planes without changing the dihedral so I can roll them. A couple will do rudder rolls if I catch the wind just right. I am going to start with 3 channel on this one. Also I do not install servos like the kits show. I mount my servos as far forward as possible. Do not use push rods put install pull pull. I think it looks better and saves weight at the tail.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I am wanting to add ailerons to my Wattage Camel without changing the dihedral. As it is now setup it is a nice flying plane. I have 11X8 slow turning prop on it and like the original aircraft it will turn right lot quicker than left. I can rudder roll it right but not left. Has anyone added ailerons and changed noting else so the plane will still fly as a 3 channel? I am also thinking of changing rudder on my 3 channels to left stick so it will match my aireron planes, comments anyone?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default CG

Hey D I have several sets of plans for the DVIII. Would you like me to check the position of the CG? I assume it would be roughly the same for all of them. Marty
Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Hey D I have several sets of plans for the DVIII. Would you like me to check the position of the CG? I assume it would be roughly the same for all of them. Marty
Yes. Sense it is a tapered wing I need the % at the center line of the wing. I checked the plans I have have, one is control line so that would be too far forward. The other plan is a free flight and does not have balance point on the plan.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
7car7

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I am also thinking of changing rudder on my 3 channels to left stick so it will match my aireron planes, comments anyone?
I have ailerons on my Eflite Jenny foamy. I'd have it no other way. It has a slight bit of Dihedral, but not much. It will NOT roll. Just doesn't have the speed or mass, or too much lift, or who knows what. It's VERY stable. The ailerons make it turn (bank) much better than just the rudder. I have it set up like a conventional 4 channel, rudder on the left stick. I can put that plane anywhere, land it anywhere, and do it all at about 2mph! (exagerating, but not by much).

Oh, you've probably seen it, but as a reminder, it's one single servo, under the lower wing, with pull-pull string control. Added only the weight of the servo - about 6grams.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
I have ailerons on my Eflite Jenny foamy. I'd have it no other way. It has a slight bit of Dihedral, but not much. It will NOT roll. Just doesn't have the speed or mass, or too much lift, or who knows what. It's VERY stable. The ailerons make it turn (bank) much better than just the rudder. I have it set up like a conventional 4 channel, rudder on the left stick. I can put that plane anywhere, land it anywhere, and do it all at about 2mph! (exagerating, but not by much).

Oh, you've probably seen it, but as a reminder, it's one single servo, under the lower wing, with pull-pull string control. Added only the weight of the servo - about 6grams.
My Eflite Jenny will do rudder rolls without ailerons. It has very little dihedral. I modified it into an N9. I had to add fin area so it could be controled when the floats are installed. I can fly it with wheels, skis, or floats. I have not tried to roll it when the floats are installed.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Happy Fathers Day!

Happy Father's Day to all of my Brothers here! Marty
Old 06-20-2010, 03:42 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Happy Fathers' Day!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

The Fokker DVIII I am rebuilding now has the fuselage almost finished. I did not have the struts to attach the wing so I use other plans and guessed where the wing should be using bamboo skewers to make new struts. I also made the landing gear with bamboo skewers using other plans to guess how it should look.

Name:	plane.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	130661  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Is that a bumblebbe or yellow jacket?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

DEGREEN:

What motor are you going to use?

Quick Reply: WWI planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.19809 seconds with 19 queries