Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Smashed LiPo

Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Default Smashed LiPo

I had a bad crash this morning at the park and smashed a LiPo in pretty good. I was going right to work afterwards and didn't want to leave it in my car so it could catch fire while I was working. I already destroyed a plane, not looking to burn up my car as well. There was an empty dumpster there, so I figured that was the safest place to put it/ get rid of it.

Questions -

1. What would you have done with the battery? I didn't want it in my house or car unattended all day. I also don't like the idea of throwing it in a dumpster - I know this isn't the best way to dispose of a battery, but I didn't feel like I had a lot of options and a big metal, empty dumpster seemed like my best option.

2. Based on these fuzzy cell phone pics, would you say this is bad enough of a crunch to get rid of a LiPo? I'm pretty new at this and decided to be on the safe side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	130046   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	130047  
Old 06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

You should get that out of the dumpster even if the battery is good 1 the dumpster is going to get hot during the day 2 that dumpster is not going to be empty for long. Even though that battery is crumpled it does not look puffy you don't have any other safe spot to put that battery?
I have one that is crumpled like that and it is working fine no puffing at all. I keep a very close eye on it so far over 10 flights with it and no issues.

One other thing it is not a good idea to leave even a good lipo in a car all day as the heat build up can damage a lipo. Myself I would get it out and find a better spot for it that battery might still be fine. Your choice, and sorry for the lose of your plane .
John
Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
79CJ
Hu?

I appreciate the advice. I didn't want to leave it in my car, and I didn't think brining it into the office was a great idea either. What better spot would you recommend? Even in a clay pot, I don't like the idea of it being in my attached garage. How do you dispose of a LiPo? They're not terribly expensive, I don't mind buying a new one.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Most floks use a car tail light and hook it up to the battery untill it is drained. Then cut the wires off flush with the battery. I might suggest saving the balance chargering wires they come in handy if you need to replace them on another battery.

One tip for summer flying I learned is keep your batteries in a ziplock bag I then put them in the cooler with a ice pack. The ice pack I put on the side not on top of the batteries this keeps them cool until I am ready to fly. Heat is one of the enemies of lipo batteries. I did this today, after work I am flying so I have batteries in a cooler in the truck ready to go and they will stay cool till I get to the field.

Hope you can find a safe spot just look around for a good place with some shade if you can. Oh ya radio shack is supposed to take used lipo's you might be able to give them a shot, although you should still discharge the battery.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Thanks again, the radio shack idea is a good one. I'll try that.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

I have 3S batteries that have been crunched a lot worst than that and still work just fine. I have one that's 10 times worst.. keeps a charge.. it's well balanced.. it charges fine.. and I have used it many many times after that crash.. It fell from 60 feet up in the air straight unto concrete.. Imagine how bad it is!!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That battery looks fine, if you really want to get rid of it I'll send you my address and you can send it to me.

I have several that look far worse than that one that I've been using for several years now.

Unless it is cut, exposing the inside of one of the cells, or it starts to puff, I would keep using it.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

I'll pm'ed you my address.. sent it my way... I have a nice metal box I can put it in..
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Well, I have to disagree with everyone here so far.

You were in a bad situation. Do you risk loosing your job to take the time to safely discharge the pack or do you put in the most fire safe location you can find?

I think you made the best decision you could.

There have been many many reports of lipos going up after minor damage just like what your pictures show.

Often several minutes or even a few hours AFTER the damage.

You did the best/safest thing you could under the circumstances.

Why in the world would you want to risk loosing your car over a $20 lipo? Or risk starting a fire inside an office building?

Even taking the time to drive to a Radio Shack would have been a serious risk. What if the pack went off in the car while you were driving?

As far as Im concerned its way to risky to ever mail damaged lipos - ever.

Come on guys. Are you really willing to risk that much - and to so many other people beyond just your person and your property - to save a few bucks?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

I don't have one yet myself but this shows why it is important for everyone to have a LiPo bag or some other fire safe storage container to safely hold your batteries while traveling.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 PM
79CJ
Hu?

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I don't have one yet myself but this shows why it is important for everyone to have a LiPo bag or some other fire safe storage container to safely hold your batteries while traveling.
I agree. A .50 cal ammo can would have been nice. As a member of a few forums on different topics, I know everyone has their own opinion on what is the "right" thing to do. Not trying to start arguments, just trying to learn, I'm still new to electric RC. I really do appreciate everyone's comments/ advice. I know I'm partly to blame for not planning ahead, I've definitely learned from this one.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I'd get rid of it. the $20.00 isn't worth your house. but you know, it's hard to just toss something that's close to bran new regardless of price.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Larry3215

A 50 cal ammo box or a liposack will prevent the fire from spreading, but it will not contain the smoke or heat.

Just imagine his situation. he is on the way to work and stops to get in a quick flight.

Then he damages the lipo and tosses it into a liposack or ammo can and heads back out into rush hour trafic.

The lipo decides to go off while sitting in the seat beside him or in the back seat.

Aside from the very loud bang these things can produce, the car will instantly fill with dense, toxic smoke and lots of heat.

The liposack WILL melt into the car seat and most likely the ammo box will as well.

What do you suppose the chances are that he will get into some sort of traffic accident during all the confusion, noise and panic - plus not being able to breath or see?

Its just not worth the risk.

I think he did the best thing he could do under those circumstances.

At worst, the dumpster may have had a fire inside it - where it would have been contained.

This type of situation is why I stopped flying before work. I didnt want to leave ANY packs in my truck where they could over heat and potentially go off.

After I explained to my boss why I was bringing a metal fire safe into the office, he wasnt too enthusiastic about me keeping my lipos in the office either
Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

i can't imagine how pissed off I'll be if a lipo smokes up the house,burn the house is the worst but that smell won't go away any time soon.

i toss lipos for the slightest reasone....dosn't hold power like when new,puffs up every flight,and of coarse damages. the only thing I've changed with my packs now is if a wire pulls out I'll try to solder it back on. it's easyer to do then i thought.

i do worry about the metal lockup box i carry the lipos in the car....if one goes.....15 will go.....would that equale an explosion? i hope not!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Larry3215

I have first hand experience with a lipo fire in the house.

Trust me, you DO NOT want one going off in your house or car.

Even after replacing the carpet in the room where it happened and cleaning all the other carpets and all our cloths in the house AND having all the furniture professionally cleaned AND re-painting the room and hallway out side - the house still smelled for over a year after the fire.

The insurance refused to replace all the carpets and furniture and re-paint the entire house so we had to live with it.

If a lipo went off in your car you would likely have no choice but to slam on the brakes and jump out or crash. The smoke is that bad to try to breath and it burns your eyes and lungs.

If one pack goes off in a box full of packs, the others may go off in turn or they may not.

My large pack went first and it was sitting close to but not touching several other packs. Two of the closest packs also went off but the others only melted and puffed up to one degree or another.

They were ALL ruined though.