General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

3D plane as one of first planes

Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
fishingdan

Default 3D plane as one of first planes

Don't shoot me......I'm just thinking off of the top of my head (sometimes not a good thing!).

I'll probably pickup a Super Cub from one of the holiday return sales. I think it will be fun with my boys especially with the fun add on modules.

That said, I'm also looking to pick something up to fly in a slightly smaller space (truly a little league field or smaller).

After using a Sim for about 6 weeks, I'm starting to think of taking a shot with a EPP based 3D plane. While one can make aggressive control surface movements, I'm finding these planes to be a blast on the clearview simulator. The slow flying capability while still having the ability to fly along at a moderate clip seems like a good combination for fun that has some longevity. Am I crazy? These seem to be among the easiest and more forgiving (because you make corrective movements in tight situations) of the planes to fly in the simulators that I have used (I own clearview and a friend has real flight).
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Its not often recommended to start with a 3d plane, but if you do the Hobby-Lobby Yak 55 is a pretty popular one. Build it as close to specs as you can and it will be a fun little plane. Have you any experience flying rc at all?

If you're going to get the super cub anyways, definitely start with that. ROG is always easier then hand launching and unless you have spare wheels around the Yak would have to be hand launched. Get a few solid flights on the cub then move on to the Yak.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
fishingdan

Yes to a point. Around 1990 I built and flew an electric powered Goldberg Eagle. I had many flights with it for most of one season before I had problem with the throttle linkage and planted it. The throttle servo did nothing more than flip a switch on/off. I didn't even know about ESCs at that time. I know they existed, but that is all.

Flash ahead now through a marriage and 5 kids to 2009......

I'm ready to re-enter the hobby and I'm amazed at the technology advances. I feel like I have been locked up in a cave for this period of time. I can't believe the advancements. I'm excited to re-enter this hobby now with my boys and get them hooked.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Don't take sim ability as an indication of how you would fly in the real world.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi fishingdan and Welcome to Wattflyers, the best plane to start with is a SLOW STICK, it will give you time to think and react, after that a high wing plane with ailerons will be a good choice, a GWS E-Starter is a great 2nd plane,

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...products_id=40

Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJT7WFJp-rE&feature=channel[/media]
Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Seems like there's a misconception about 3D planes. Just because you have all those surfaces and power doesn't mean you have to use them all at once. Not true! 3D planes can be set on low rates and flown just as easily as any sport flyer or trainer-except usually better. Keep the CG a little forward for better tracking at first and move it back for 3D when you're ready. Take the 3DHS 47" Extra SHP. Set the rates on low and it will sport fly better than any trainer around. When you build your confidence level up, flick the rates up and have some fun. You'll have a lot more control authority and power to get out of bad spots than any small surfaced, underpowered trainer/sport airplane. That being said you can also get into trouble quicker! I've made foamy Clik-X's for rank beginners who have never flown RC before and they've had successful maidens and been looping and rolling minutes into their first flights. A foamie that tracks straight and goes where you point it(and stays there) is a great learning tool for beginners. Don't let the term 3D scare you off from getting a multipurpose plane! An EPP plane like the Flash or E-foamies Yak,Extra, Edge are great "bouncy" planes that can take many "oops" and still be picked back up and flown with little or no repairs. My .02
Jason
Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Good point Jason. while I dont have a switch to change in flight, I normally fly the profile 3d planes with the ATV's set to allow just enough surface movement (1/2" either direction) for me to find out how the plane flys, then adjust those between flights until Im happy with the response.

As side note, we (my boys and I) tried learning how to fly with an Aerobird 3, and it taught us more on how to crash and walk away with some dignity then anything. Then we moved over to delta's and elevon control and our flying improved immediately. I like a trainer style plane, but only for the relaxing flight it allows.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by EDFrules View Post
Seems like there's a misconception about 3D planes. Just because you have all those surfaces and power doesn't mean you have to use them all at once. Not true! 3D planes can be set on low rates and flown just as easily as any sport flyer or trainer-except usually better. Keep the CG a little forward for better tracking at first and move it back for 3D when you're ready. Take the 3DHS 47" Extra SHP. Set the rates on low and it will sport fly better than any trainer around. When you build your confidence level up, flick the rates up and have some fun. You'll have a lot more control authority and power to get out of bad spots than any small surfaced, underpowered trainer/sport airplane. That being said you can also get into trouble quicker! I've made foamy Clik-X's for rank beginners who have never flown RC before and they've had successful maidens and been looping and rolling minutes into their first flights. A foamie that tracks straight and goes where you point it(and stays there) is a great learning tool for beginners. Don't let the term 3D scare you off from getting a multipurpose plane! An EPP plane like the Flash or E-foamies Yak,Extra, Edge are great "bouncy" planes that can take many "oops" and still be picked back up and flown with little or no repairs. My .02
Jason

Yes, but what beginner has a computer radio capable of setting particular rates? That's usually an expense that comes when a beginner goes all-in on the hobby, right?

GRU
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

You can get a DX-5 for $99(less if you shop around on RCG) and it has all the features you'd need to start with. Low rates/high rates. And 2.4 Ghz to boot. Not really a big expenditure to start off right with. I got several folks into flying and talked them into DX-6's and after they finally flew a less cabable radio they thanked me for the foresight! Even if you don't have a computer radio, just start off with low throws and when you're feeling a little more confident increase the throws as you see fit till the plane starts to come alive.

Last edited by EDFrules; 01-09-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Yes, but what beginner has a computer radio capable of setting particular rates? That's usually an expense that comes when a beginner goes all-in on the hobby, right?

GRU

GRU, I have a hitec laser 4 that offers ATV on channel 1 and 2. not the same as being able to change the rates with the flick of a switch, but it can be done easily.