Look what Santa is bringing this year. - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Look what Santa is bringing this year.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 PM
billintn

Wife only told me that if any boxes are dilivered, I am NOT to open it. Then again it may not even be for me.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:24 AM
tarheal63

Well, finally opened my Wicked Wabbit, whew, I didn't think Christmas would ever get here. I already had the flap kit, servos and servo slow-down module waiting. It is halfway finished, and should have her done by the end of the night, if I can step away from Forza 4 long enough, so many toys, so little time. I am off all next week, so there will be a maiden and my daughter got a new slr from me that does video, I will require her to take video, that is the least she can do for me.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
Well, finally opened my Wicked Wabbit, whew, I didn't think Christmas would ever get here. I already had the flap kit, servos and servo slow-down module waiting. It is halfway finished, and should have her done by the end of the night, if I can step away from Forza 4 long enough, so many toys, so little time. I am off all next week, so there will be a maiden and my daughter got a new slr from me that does video, I will require her to take video, that is the least she can do for me.
LOL, Well I bet that Made you feel Like a KID again, Having to Wait to open your Gifts Hmmmmm, Daughter JUST HAPPENED to get a SLR that Does VIDEOS Hmmmm, I think that was Planned Good Plan Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

My wonderful daughter gave me a $100.00 gift card to my favorite local hobby shop.

The shop is Remote Control Hobbies of Lacey Washington, everyone there is a devoted RC modeler. The owner Thom Martin, is one of my flying buddies, I have known his #2 guy for 40 years, and I think the youngest employee, Colby can do things with a helicopter, I didn't think was possible.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 PM
tarheal63

Well, I got the Wabbit all put together and tested, then was doing a test taxi and the ESC smoked on it. Talk about a bummer, fortunately I was able to hop in my car, and boogie over to Hobby Lobby and James took care of me with no muss and no fuss. Got me a new esc and I put a 10A castle ubec in it too as this thing will have 7 servos total with the retracts and flaps. Anyway, she is all together again and I am quite happy with Hobby Lobby and I am fortunate to live so close. There is a lot to be said for a LHS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wabbit.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	155821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1747.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	155822  
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Well, I got the Wabbit all put together and tested, then was doing a test taxi and the ESC smoked on it. Talk about a bummer, fortunately I was able to hop in my car, and boogie over to Hobby Lobby and James took care of me with no muss and no fuss. Got me a new esc and I put a 10A castle ubec in it too as this thing will have 7 servos total with the retracts and flaps. Anyway, she is all together again and I am quite happy with Hobby Lobby and I am fortunate to live so close. There is a lot to be said for a LHS.
That looks super nice Dont forget that I get to do the Maiden Flight on it LOL
Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 AM
tarheal63

It's a long way from Chino Chellie.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

It's a long way from Chino Chellie.
Yea I know Bummer
Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 PM
bbqflyer

Tarheal let me know how it goes. I got my wicked wabbit for Christmas too, I couldn't wait either. It sat under the tree for two weeks! It was killing me. It must be nice to just drive over to HL. I live in Indy so it'd be a little bit of a haul. Do you know if there is a problem with the ESC? Where did you get your servo slow down module? HL? And I was thinking of putting a UBEC in as well. Mine's ready to fly, though I haven't put the flaps in it yet (But I have the parts for it). I can't wait to see the video. Your daughter better put that camera to good use. My wife is making me wait a little longer for my new SLR (w/ video too).
Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 AM
tarheal63

I don't know if the problem was a bad esc, or if the servo slow down module spiked the voltage, i got it from Hobby King, but the only thing is, it only slows down one way? Never seen that before. I would put a 10a ubec on it, just to be on the safe side though. I have been going thru a HUGE thread on the other forum that has almost 3400 posts on it to get some stuff straight, I am going to maiden without flaps, and then put them on. here is the link if you need it, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...32291&page=226

My old Nikon D200 is a great camera and I don't really want to give it up, but my daughters D3100 is a pretty sweet.
I am hoping the weather cooperates finally tomorrow for the maiden, been rainy and windy here in TN, doesn't the weather channel know that there are a bunch of new RC planes to fly here, sheesh....
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
bbqflyer

Tarheal, have you had a chance to maiden yet? I tried this last weekend which ended in a slight crash. No damage amazingly. So today I called HL for some tips with the bird, and talk about great service! Really helpful. I actually talked with the gentleman that did the video for the wicked wabbit. He said it's best if the cg is slightly forward of what's recommended. Plus use better batteries than what it comes with. Also he told me about some r/l servos for the flaps instead of using a servo reversing lead.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 AM
tarheal63

I saw your video and responded to that thread. I haven't had the guts yet. I have 2200 mah batteries that I am going to use. Who did you talk to at HL? I probably have met him. What are "r/l servos"? I have servo slowdown reversing modules from HK that I am using. I do have a 10A bec in there also.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
bbqflyer

I believe I spoke with Mike from the video! He told me about right/left servos made for flaps they carry. I haven't gotten a servo slow down module yet, but I plan to. And I've added the CC 10A bec too. I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences with it. Mike says this plane is a real blast to fly. It's no speed demon but it's not suppose to be. But it is to have more power than mine seemed to have. Which may have been battery and CG issues to cause this.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
tarheal63

I have done a battery bridge mod that will allow me to move my 2200 back over the retract servo. There is alot of good info on this plane here,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032291 . It is alot to take in, but there is quite a bit about CG and the battery mod to help with nose over on take off. I am just finishing hinging my flaps and I should be ready to maiden, I take off from pavement, hoping for no disasters.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
bbqflyer

Haven't talked to you in a while, how's the p47? Flown her much?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 AM
tarheal63

A few times, it is a great flying plane. I love the flaps, they really slow it down. I have been working on another project recently, so I haven't flown as much as I would like to.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM
bbqflyer

getting ready to do my flaps, did you cut them away completely and rehinge them or how did you do it?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 AM
tarheal63

That is exactly what I did, I cut them out completely, smoothed the edges with some sanding and rehinged them with CA hinges.