Who's got Flying Weather? - Page 154 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Who's got Flying Weather?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well got everything plowed yesterday and this morning flew three airplanes.
Finished flying about 8am and fed the birds and our wild turkey.
She can't walk very good but can still fly and every morning she fly's in for breakfast.
I use scratch feed for the birds.
Crash
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Not sure this counts as flying weather, but I did fly today. One battery.

I had to go down to the field and pick up a permit from the park commission (county rules...), so I figured I might just as well bring a plane, just in case...

10-15 mph, gusty, turbulent and about 35F. Lots of wind chill. I flew my little 3DHS Edge, horribly out of trim and tail heavy. After 2 minutes I couldn't feel my fingers. Landed after about 5 minutes with my fingers almost frozen solid. Not a pretty landing. Not a pretty flight. But everything is still in one piece and that's what counts!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Horrible looking storms going on out east!
Another bad year for tornadoes......Again. Be safe.

cr
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Got out to the field around 3PM today. 60 degrees with NW wind at 10-12 Kts. Not too bad but not ideal. So, I decided to go ahead and Maiden the F-15 just to see if she was airworthy.

Wanted to take her up for a quick check ride and then plan my next test flight. She did better than I expected. Took off from ground, flew true without much trim, and landed nicely. That's all I wanted to accomplish.

Need to make a few improvements. The MAS 6x4 is not as good as an APC and I'm not sure the Grayson V-2 provides enough power. Seemed pretty slow.
More experimenting tomorrow. It's supposed to be 75 with light winds.

Hawk

http://youtu.be/mUWvRo67ZmE
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Went to the field today, but when I got there the winds had picked up to 10mph gusting up to 20mph. At ground level... God knows what has going on 100 ft up. I could probably have flown and landed successfully, but I chickened out. The MoneyShot I brought just wouldn't have been fun to fly with its thick and draggy wing profile. Also, when you're alone at the field at noon on a Sunday, it's probably a sign that flying that day is for idiots only...

Or... I'm just a chicken...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I'am with ya NJS....Did the same thing, I thought the wind was heading acrross the Delaware bay towards Cape May. I went out as well, by the time I got everything ready the wind was pushing up to 15 with swirling gust! At altitude, the DG1000 was sitting like a kite up there. Whens shes flying backwards, its time to come home. Guess I'll put the skiis back on my Beaver..and get ready for the snow tommorow...

Last edited by TM4197; 03-04-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: fat thumb
Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Nice weather up here around 7 MPH wind pushing 40 for temp.kinda balmy for this time of year.

Went to the club had to use 4 wheel drive down and back the road is snow covered. Had field to myself No other idiot would of driven down that road.
Did get in 5 flights wish I had brought more batteries, but it was great to get out and fly.

Great thing is we gain a hour of daylight soon!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Gorgeous day in DFW with temps reaching 78. Wind was a little snarly but not too bad. About 10-15. Spring SW breezes are something we have to get used to down here. Flew the the F-15 again and it did okay but the ground take off was not the best. I got into some tall grass and it acted like a grass catcher. Finally lurched into the sky after a long take-off run. Never really was able to put her through the paces. To make matters worse, she blew over on the bench and landed on her back , breaking both antenna's off the twin v-stabs. Then I maidened the F-22. She performed very well. No complaints. Plenty of power. Never got toe the Rad or the F-4 today , All in all, a pretty good day.

Now I have to wait again till next weekend and hope for continued good weather.

Hawk
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM
golfryan

Crashalott how can I be an hour north of you and we got 12inches of snow and your out flying not fair
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Smile

Originally Posted by golfryan View Post
Crashalott how can I be an hour north of you and we got 12inches of snow and your out flying not fair
The only flying i did yesterday was down the road plowing snow.
I got the same amount you did.
We just got our power back on this afternoon.
Crash
PS you must be in or around Mio?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

70 degrees and 45MPH winds!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
The only flying i did yesterday was down the road plowing snow.
I got the same amount you did.
We just got our power back on this afternoon.
Crash
PS you must be in or around Mio?
At 5:00 PM when I pulled into the driveway tonight I still had about 8 to 10 inches of snow and the temerature was 25 degree - I didn't snowblow this last batch of winter-wonder-land. At 12:30AM the driveway is completely bare and the temperature is 48 degees.

I am about 7 miles east of Lake Michigan.

My field is clearing and maybe flying time is returning.

RT
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Default Flying in NY

Jeez, Feeling for you guys in this years snow belt. yesterday was about 40 deg here and sunny, no wind so test flew my little Split Stick (see scratch built foamies). Testing after a mishap... repairs seem to work.

We have been very fortunate here this winter. So far flew every month. Not much mind you, I creamed my left (throttle) thumb tip on my table saw which sent me back to my one stick tx's. pretty much healed now so I'll be ready to maiden what I built this winter and one other waiting maiden.

Of course, winter is not completely over yet. I have seen 8 inches in May before.

Best wishes for flying days soon for you folks!! Better days a'comin', Fly
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM
bbqflyer

UGH! It's finally beautiful here in central Indiana, 70F and sunny...but winds are sustained at 25 with gusts over 35! Dang it, I am jonesing bad to go flying!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well we got through the snow storm ok and got our power back on and now the temp is up to 57 and the snow has melted quite a bit but it is too windy to fly.
Hope it keeps melting though!
Crash
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bbqflyer View Post
UGH! It's finally beautiful here in central Indiana, 70F and sunny...but winds are sustained at 25 with gusts over 35! Dang it, I am jonesing bad to go flying!!!
That's just a "flying wind with a gyro onboard" day.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
warningshot

Winds to high to fly in so I mowed the field instead. Ready for the summer flying season.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

got the weather and the work to keep me from flying,but on the brighter side.....its time for clocks to spring ahead 1 hr next week so after work flying will be more frequent.

60degrees today and warmer thrusday!! what a great winter
Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well we had nice weather yesterday up to 60deg. but now its snowing again.
Forcast looks good though for the rest of the week and next week as well.
Looking forward to spring.
Crash
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well i just looked outside and the wind is good for kite flying so i don't think i will fly anything this morning.
March winds you know!
Crash
Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I flew yesterday weather was cold and overcast only did 3 flights. They where wrong on the winds it was only about 7 mph.
Hope they are wrong again today like to get out, and do a little more flying before the start of another work week.
Crash that's all we had this past week was strong winds good kite flying weather!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Default Kite Flying Weather

Hey Crash and Gramps, yeah march was always my favorite time to fly kites.. I preferred planes, but March in NYS is usually windy so I learned to desigh and build box kites. Buillt some little ones with balsa frames and silkspan covering. Flew on heavy sewing thread. Suprising how well they flew and FUN!!

Heres hoping for some better days. Actually warmer is fore cast her in NYS and maybe a few hours without wind.

Hope you ALL get some flying soon!!
Fly what?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Heavy rain and T-storms all weekend in North Texas. Bummer. The consolation prize is that I get to finish my last, oh well, hopefully my last build of the build season. Hung out at my LHS for a while yesterday shooting the breeze and drooling over some of the new ARF's that I know I cannot afford. The owner is an ex Braniff captain and B-52 pilot and one of the guys that works there is one of the 93 SR-71 pilots. Always good conversation. Perfect rainy day entertainment.

Getting everything prepped for paint and decals. Just need one good day and I'll be done.

You guys in the Northern climbs remind me of some of my die hard golfing buddies.
I admire those that can battle the winter cold and snow for the love of the hobby.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Who's got flying weather?

Not me!

Beautiful spring day, but really gusty winds. Took the family and a dog for a walk in the park where our flying field is located. Put the MoneyShot in the trunk just in case. It was really gusty, but I figured I should give it a try. Up it went and was tossed all over the place. Ok, time to bring her in and abort the flight in a controlled manner. That's when a bunch of kids (including my own) came running and screaming. Got distracted, aborted my landing, back around, approach and... whooosh... the wind blew me off course and I was now going down wind. At this point, one of the parents had started chatting with me so I just slammed it down going down wind. About five bounces before it came to rest. Probably one of my worst landings. No damage, though. Gotta love the MoneyShot! Hate the wind...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM
dkrhardy

I hate wind!
Don

Quick Reply: Who's got Flying Weather?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11444 seconds with 13 queries