RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR636A Safe Select Versus AS3X

Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 PM
confuqua

Default AR636A Safe Select Versus AS3X

Will someone please advise me whether or not my understanding of the following is correct?

The AR636A Safe Select receiver in the E-Flite Commander can be bound to the transmitter with Safe either ON or OFF. Either way, AS3X is automatically activated when the system is bound and the throttle is advanced to something more than 25%. It is not possible to operate this receiver without AS3X being active.

Safe ON is a flight mode where excessive pitch and roll movements are automatically inhibited (prevented?), thus reducing the likelihood of losing control of the aircraft. If the control sticks are returned to neutral, the aircraft will automatically return to level flight.

It is difficult to fly the aircraft when Safe is ON because it will be constantly trying to inhibit large control surface movements and/or excessive aircraft attitudes.

A transmitter switch can be programmed to turn Safe ON or OFF during flight. If the aircraft is normally flown with Safe OFF, recovery from an out of control or panic situation can be achieved by flipping the Safe switch on. After flight stability is reestablished, Safe can be turned OFF to resume normal flying.

AS3X is a completely separate receiver feature. It reacts to normal control inputs in the normal way. However, it also reacts to stabilize the aircraft when it is impacted by OUTSIDE forces such as wind gusts. During flight in still air, AS3X does NOTHING. During flight in turbulent air, AS3X works to minimize aircraft deviations from what the transmitter is telling it do.

In other words, AS3X DOES NOT inhibit the aircraft from responding to transmitter commands.

Do I have this right?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:43 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

You have stated it the way that I understand it.

I want the Commander because my dad flew in one many times and I went to lunch with Bob Hoover, and got to talk to him for about an hour. The MOST interesting man I ever met.

I don't have any Safe receivers but several different one with 3 axis stabilization. It simply makes fling some of these little ones possible. I have the older GeeBee with AS3X, I don't think it would be much fun without a stabilizer.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Tim Markham

Flyzone Seawind with AR7350 and DX9

I have everything set up but my expo., gains and priority. How do I know what percent to set everything at? I want 3 modes. Mode 1 = NO AS3X
Mode 2 = Sport Mode Mode 3 = Advanced Mode Any help with this would be great. I also want to assign my dual rates to a switch. I just do that in the channel assign correct? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Ultracon

I am trying to do the same with my Jumper V2 Plus and my new Delta Ray. So far I am unable to achieve the three separate flight modes and the autorecovery switch. I have a three position switch controlled by channel 5 and a two position switch is channel 6. Neither one is working properly so the programming of my Jumper seems to be wrong. Been looking for help on a couple of forums but nothing offered yet.