GoBrushless.com Motor Question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Brushless Motor Construction Discuss design and construction of custom Brushless motors

GoBrushless.com Motor Question

Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
adoman

Default GoBrushless.com Motor Question

Hey guys,
I just ordered a do it yourself kit from gobrushless.com. I ordered the GBX outrunner double http://www.gobrushless.com/store/cgi...brushless+kits

So far it's been difficult as this is my first brushless build. The biggest problem i'm having is gluing the magnets to the can. They just don't seem to want to stay. Second, no matter what I do i still get rubbing between the magnets and the stator. Any suggestions? Has anyone else here gotten a motor from these guys? Thanks!

--Alex
Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
DBacon

adoman,

I built the single stator unit, and it is great.
I bought the plastic spacer tool that holds the magnets in place, then put a dab of thin CA on each magnet to hold it.
There was no interference when I was done, and it went together smoothly.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Hank47

Default Brushless Motor Construction

Hi Adoman,
My advice to you would be go to WWW.unitedhobbies.com and purchase a good motor for less then one half what you paid for the kit. No headaches, no messing around.

Hank47
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
SGecko

Originally Posted by Hank47 View Post
Hi Adoman,
My advice to you would be go to WWW.unitedhobbies.com and purchase a good motor for less then one half what you paid for the kit. No headaches, no messing around.

Hank47
I'm not sure this is the best answer for someone who already spent the money on the kit but it might be good advice for next time.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Happy|Harry

Originally Posted by Hank47 View Post
Hi Adoman,

Hank47
trust me when i say that when you get a GBx2 built properly you'll have a much better and more efficient motor than you could buy for less or equal money

phil
Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
bz1mcr
AKA owner

Originally Posted by adoman View Post
Hey guys,
I just ordered a do it yourself kit from gobrushless.com. I ordered the GBX outrunner double http://www.gobrushless.com/store/cgi...brushless+kits

So far it's been difficult as this is my first brushless build. The biggest problem i'm having is gluing the magnets to the can. They just don't seem to want to stay. Second, no matter what I do i still get rubbing between the magnets and the stator. Any suggestions? Has anyone else here gotten a motor from these guys? Thanks!

--Alex
As others have said the GBx double should go together easily and with no rubbing. It sounds like you had trouble glueing magnets and may have a build up of glue between the magnets and flux ring. I suggest you take the magnets out. Clean them and the flux ring with acetone until all traces of glue are gone. Acetone will disolve CA over night, if that is what you have been using. If you have been using epoxy it may be easier to just get a new can and magnets.
Then use a magnet spacer from www.strongrcmotors.com and follow the instructions for glueing magnets in the "motor Building Instructions" posted in the Strong RC Motors "instruction documents.
Have Fun!
Don
Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 AM
adoman

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try removing the magnets and starting over with that. This if my first motor build so I kinda figured I would have some problems...but oh well, it's a learning experience! I did buy a park 400 outrunner to use while i'm trying to get the building done.

What kind of performance have you seen out of the motors and what kind of planes are you using them in?

Thanks again guys!

--Alex
Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
chainlink

The spacing tool, a tweezer and a toothpick are all use full tools for magnet spacing.

I have several GBx (single) kits and love them. FWIW I also have some other pre-mades, and while they work fine - they do not give me near the satisfaction that winding my own does. I use the low end pre mades when I want to save time or money (and top performance is not an issue). Likewise I suspect that high end pre mades might even be better than the GBx, but I am way to cheep to spend $$$ on motors.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Originally Posted by SGecko View Post
I'm not sure this is the best answer for someone who already spent the money on the kit but it might be good advice for next time.
Err................. there are times when you just need to bit the bullet and dump the problem.......
How do you argue with $13 bp12's/etc. that run well
http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC

Last edited by Doc Pete; 06-06-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: old age
Old 06-07-2007, 05:08 AM
adoman

I checked out the motors at www.unitedhobbies.com and from the ebay link Doc Pete gave me, and I just don't understand how they can sell those motors for so cheap. It just seems too good to be true. And from my experience things that seem too good to be true, are too good to be true. Anyone agree?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 AM
adoman

I took a look at www.unitedhobbies.com and at the ebay link Doc Pete posted. I just don't get how they can offer motors of comparable performance to ones that cost $50-$60 at 1/4 of the price. It seems too good to be true and from my experience, things that seem too good to be true are too good to be true. What kind of performance/value have you seen out of the motors at unitedhobbies.com?

--Alex
Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
bz1mcr
AKA owner

Building Motors Vs buying factory built motors: I agree building your own motors does not save a lot of money these days, but it can get you a motor that fits your application and flying style better than available factory builts. Winding motors brings many builders great satisfaction. Knowing they have something special and confident they can adjust performance as desired without buying a whole new motor. Also, when the unthinkable happens they know they can get parts and make repairs as needed. It's another dimension of the Hobby. Some like to build planes, some like ARF or even RTF's. Some like to build motors, some want factory builts, and some just want to FLY. To me it's all fun! The more I put into the hobby the more I enjoy it.

UH is is a good supplier and offers some nice values:
I have had good service and feel the products from UH are well described, and generally good value. However, I have seen several posts about problems when orders included an out of stock item. The entire order is held up, sometimes well over a month. I'm not sure I'd call that "No headaches, no messing around." But it is a good deal if you avoid out of stock items or don't mind the wait.

The UH 9 g servos are a terrific deal. Coreless motors, fast response, good centering, and less than $4. The blue 24 g motor has had lot of good reports.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
DBacon

bz1mcr,

I agree that building your own motor is very rewarding. I started in e-flight this way, and I learned a lot more than I would have with a stock built unit.

I learned, with help from a few great people on this forum, that the motor windings can make all the difference. It is simple to change the windings, which I did many times, and rewarding when you get it just the way you want it.

Plus it is very economical to try your hand at it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Originally Posted by adoman View Post
I checked out the motors at www.unitedhobbies.com and from the ebay link Doc Pete gave me, and I just don't understand how they can sell those motors for so cheap. It just seems too good to be true. And from my experience things that seem too good to be true, are too good to be true. Anyone agree?
I hate to tell ya, but it's just one of those good things in life. You will be happy...........
Pete
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 AM
clive45

I have GBx from Gobrushless and a couple of other DIY makes. Great fun building and you can tailor to suit your needs. Best is when I had one burn out (well overloaded) for the price of a stator plate and some wire from the local motor rewinding shop. I was back in business. You can make several different winds and just swap the bell housing etc over and use the motor in a different situation.
Gives you great flexiblilit for very little money compared to haveing several motors around doing nothing.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:51 AM
rca

I have GBv and GBx single and double kits that I have built. I can say without a doubt that the motor spacer Don at strongrcmotors.com sells is well worth it for the price. It makes putting the magnets in super easy and removes a lot of the frustration. I love my GBx double too, great motor.

I also have motors from UH, but I still like winding my own too.

Ron

Last edited by rca; 06-09-2007 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added url
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Excellent motorbuilding articles by Brian Mulder,they cover the all the basics, a must read:
http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.za/
-> Articles by SouthEasterners.
-> Electric Motors - part 1-5

Do-it-yourself motor homepages, manuals/tutorials, checks and tests in this motor builders tips and tricks thread. The checks and tests may save you from frying your controller or motor. Thread is active, bookmark it for future reference and subscribe to it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993 (sticky thread, at top of subforum)

Two instructive motor winding/assembly videos, 14 & 10Mbyte respectively (cd-rom and lrk have different winding diagrams!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHYlWKICkqc&e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybb0Ysh0FRE

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
brushless motor building tips & tricks
diy brushless motor discussion group
Drive Calculator download & discussion group

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 02-06-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 AM
juneaujim
Old School

Having built my own motors, I now know how to buy them. But I still frequently build them anyway. I get exactly what I want-usually.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 AM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Very interesting. I think I'd like to try my hand at this.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 AM
juneaujim
Old School

Be, Be careful, one thing leads to another and then suddenly you know alot more about more stuff that you never knew you wanted to know and are still trying to learn more so you can make more stuff that leads to more questions.
I lived in Sitka for five years back in the eighties.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 AM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Well, the waiting may be the hardest part, but I've got time. You know how it is up here. I'll have more opportunities to build than fly. And I've been known to know my way around a voltmeter, which is just dangerous in and of itself.
I pulled a motor out of a cdrom last week and successfully powered it with an apc prop on it...but I think I can get more out that motor.....
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
DBacon

shotgunsmitty,
Make sure you use an electric style prop. APC props are my very favorite for fuel, but did not work well for my electric, and delayed my progress trying to get the 16 oz thrust I was sure I was supposed to get.
I rewound the motor several times, just wouldn't do it. Changed to a thin GWS prop, made all the difference in the world.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

I'll keep an eye on that. You know what, I have one gws prop that a fellow flyer gave me. Sounds like I need to grab a handful more. I wonder what sizes? Or, better yet, I should do an amp check with different props with my watt meter that isn't here yet either and find out what it's pulling with the 9" and 10" props that I have.

Oh, and on the topic of UH, I've had an order in with them for several weeks, now. They show it shipped on the 24th of last month, it's been 13 days and still no show, maybe I'm just being impatient. But it was the best deal in town.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

A list of outrunner manufacturers. Kit/parts suppliers are marked with a '*':
http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...threadid=43664

Unfortunately, I cannot edit the first post anymore (too old?), I cannot add the Motrolfly kits, nor the Scorpion kits (very high temperature magnets ), nor the MicroDan 2505 and 2510 kits .

Two of the many MicroDan threads (there are more):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770832 (excellent tutorial by Dave North)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774862

The Scorpion motors use thin laminations (0.2mm). Very good.

@Don
I did not forget your www.strongrcmotors.com kits but you are already in the kit manufacturers compilation thread

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
• brushless motor building tips & tricks
diy brushless motor discussion group
Drive Calculator download & discussion group

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 02-06-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Thanks.
Now about those props...for my foamies I should be going with gws props?
Currently I have a small stock of APC slow-fly props.

Last edited by shotgunsmitty; 02-06-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: GoBrushless.com Motor Question

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14519 seconds with 9 queries