Programming test "airplane?" - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Programming test "airplane?"

Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Default Programming test "airplane?"

With the complexity of my new DX8G2 transmitter, it will take awhile until I can program it with out screwing up my planes.

I came up with an idea, a small test bed for programming things like, ailerons and flaps switching to all ailerons. Figuring out a good way to set up Crow effect on gliders and some power planes.

It will never fly, but it should help me to fly better.

The center surface is the elevator, and the white servo arm is the rudder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Programming test board.jpg (126.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:35 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Yeah, I have had one for a few years as I had a heap of servos that I would never put in a plane. They are very useful at times.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I followed the programming I found for a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick, it was written for a DX7, but it was one of the only ones I could find.

There must be differences between the basic Airware systems as this one will drive some servos to the mechanical stops. I don't want to do that with my good servos.

Spektrum does not list the SPM8000 transmitter ( DX8G2 ) in their section for downloading files for different planes.
They have files for the older DX8's but not the new current version, that doesn't make much sense.

I am going to try the download file for a 4 servo wing glider, and see if I can modify it to a power plane, it would have things like airfoil adjust that I don't need on an Ultra Stick.

This thing is a lot easier to move around and handle that a 5' plane or a 10' glider. Now I can try programming until I get one to work right, then just copy it into the model I want. Everyone has personal choices as to switch positions that feel natural. I can also use this until everything just feels instinctive, I don't like looking down at the Tx unless I want to see the telemetry.

If you use telemerty

The Lemon RX DSMX receiver with telemetry is great!!
For $60 you get a complete setup with current/voltage, altitude, Vario and temp. Plus other stuff.
Comes in XT60 or Deans plugs. It's full range telemetry also.

In Spektrum you would have to use a Rx and a TM1000 plus a vario, to get altitude and climb, In Lemon you just use the small receiver. it's all built in.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 PM
yorkiepap

Hey Dave,
Yes, having a test station is a good idea for checking components & flight parameters. I recently installed some FPV on one of my gliders & used my test station to get the programming on my JR10X to operate the pan feature properly. I also test Rx's & ESC's prior to installation on a plane or glider. They're so easy to make with spare stuff. Pic of mine attached.

Denny
Attached Images
RxTstBd1.jpg.JPG (298.2 KB, 51 views)
ESCProgCd2.JPG (255.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I followed the programming I found for a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick, it was written for a DX7, but it was one of the only ones I could find.

There must be differences between the basic Airware systems as this one will drive some servos to the mechanical stops. I don't want to do that with my good servos.

Spektrum does not list the SPM8000 transmitter ( DX8G2 ) in their section for downloading files for different planes.
They have files for the older DX8's but not the new current version, that doesn't make much sense.

I am going to try the download file for a 4 servo wing glider, and see if I can modify it to a power plane, it would have things like airfoil adjust that I don't need on an Ultra Stick.

This thing is a lot easier to move around and handle that a 5' plane or a 10' glider. Now I can try programming until I get one to work right, then just copy it into the model I want. Everyone has personal choices as to switch positions that feel natural. I can also use this until everything just feels instinctive, I don't like looking down at the Tx unless I want to see the telemetry.

If you use telemerty

The Lemon RX DSMX receiver with telemetry is great!!
For $60 you get a complete setup with current/voltage, altitude, Vario and temp. Plus other stuff.
Comes in XT60 or Deans plugs. It's full range telemetry also.

In Spektrum you would have to use a Rx and a TM1000 plus a vario, to get altitude and climb, In Lemon you just use the small receiver. it's all built in.
I recently picked up a virtually unused DX8 G1 with 3 RXs including the AR8000 and satellites and a brand new unused TM1000 with sensors. I haven't worked out how to use the TM1000 yet so I might sell it. In fact I may sell the whole thing as I have a DX6 G3 and two Taranis' so I don't need it. I just couldn't pass it all up for Au$100.
I never thought of downloading files from HH but I will look into it now. It would be easier than trying to set planes up in the TX menu.
I like the idea of the Lemon though. I must look into that.