Hitec X4 Charger and e-flight/Turnigy Batteries - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Hitec X4 Charger and e-flight/Turnigy Batteries

Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
mundo330
HostMaster for Helifunfly

Default Hitec X4 Charger and e-flight/Turnigy Batteries

Has anyone else purchased this charger and then found they do not have an adapter for the most common batteries. I love the charger and you can plug the balance plug in directly if you are careful but to not have a balance adapter for this series of batteries is inexcusable. Plus the cost of the adapters is a little high for a charger that costs 150+.
Any one have any experiences, knowledge?
Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Cole Mayfield
Fresno Radio Modelers

I also have the X4 Charger and love it too! I mainly use Deans Plugs for my batteries so I custom made some to work, but a great Accessory to add to your charger is from a Company called Common Sense R/C... Check out the Link Below... I bought the Mega Charge Chords and I love them...

http://www.commonsenserc.com/advance...o=&dfrom=&dto=

I hope this might help?

If you need any help using the X4, Please Let Me Know... I would be glad to help...

Thanks,
CM
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
dumo01
dumo01

[QUOTE=Cole Mayfield;809316]I also have the X4 Charger and love it too! I mainly use Deans Plugs for my batteries so I custom made some to work, but a great Accessory to add to your charger is from a Company called Common Sense R/C... Check out the Link Below... I bought the Mega Charge Chords and I love them...

http://www.commonsenserc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=octopus+collec tion&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0&categories_id =&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom =&dto=

I hope this might help?

If you need any help using the X4, Please Let Me Know... I would be glad to help...

Thanks,
CM[/QUOTE]

I have seen some similar products to the one you linked to and if I did not already have adaptors made for the batteries I use would probably go that route. One word of caution is to check the polarity of the adaptor to make sure it is correct for the battery you are using. There is a note in the Electrics column of the June 2011 Model Aviation that the column author, Greg Gimlick, bought a similar product made by a company called Progressive RC. He found that the XT-60 connector on the adaptor was reverse polarity for the Hobby City Lipos he was planning to hook up. He contacted Progressive RC, and they said that the polarity configuation of the adaptor was as intended, their research indicated that the configuration they used was the most common in the field. The author noted that it was an easy fix to pop the connectors out of the housing and put them back in set up correctly for his batteries.
This would apply to any adaptor, but would be easier to miss a problem on one of these mega adaptors
Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
mundo330
HostMaster for Helifunfly

Default X4 Update

I have been using the charger now for a few month and have had a great return from it. Charging lipos, NiMh, NiCds, all work well. I have even charged 6 cell Hi capacity batteries for fellow flyers and had great success (although it is a little slow on these batteries due to the watt limit). The New X2 charger would be a better choice for larger multi-cell lipos.
One issue I found a solution for is the lack of balance adapters. For the XH balance plug buy some extensions for the adapter. These usually come in packages of 5-10 and are very inexpensive. Plug them in to the ports as you set up your charger for added clearance to the charger when charging batteries and less chance of a botched connection.
Problem solved!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Karnsy

Does anyone have this issue with the Hitecx4 ac dc battery charger ?.
Had mine a couple years and for some reason almost all my batteries just sit there balancing and time out at 120mins (which is what I set it at). All the cells are always around 4.20 or 4.19 but it never reads full charge and stops charging even with brand new or slightly used batteries. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Common issue with many chargers.

Especially with larger LiPos becoming more popular, the very low balance rate and using balance by discharge, then charge again to top up can end up with a never ending cycle.

So when all cells read in the 4.18 to 4.20 range call it good.

Some newer charger have higher balance rates but are still balance by discharge.

I know of only ONE charger that balances by charge and its a real strange one.
Turnigy 420, 2S to 4S charger with .5, 1, 1.5 and 2 amp rates. It handles each cell individually. You can plug in a 2S 4000 and a 2s 1000 at the same time, est for 2 amp (most can handle 2C charge rate now) and it will happily charge the 2 packs bringing each cell to 4.2v.
Its also one of the cheapest chargers you can find. I keep 2 for fast balancing large packs.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:34 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Wow, an old thread pops up again.
Since I posted on this thread a while back I have acquired a HiTec 4 channel and see the same thing about a third of the time that I use it.
I also just check the cell voltages and as long they are within +/-one or two mV of each other and at full voltage I just call it a day and go fly.
I think there is way to adjust the max time that the charger will sit there and keep trying to balance upward to a max of three hours(I think) but I don't think it gains enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Nope... if it isn't balanced in 2 hours, when you used a 1C or better charge rate, its never going to be happy.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Karnsy

Well good to know what I have been experiencing is not totally abnormal.
I have just started pulling them of after about an hour or 4.19 or 4.20.
I will continue on this path. Thanks to all for the help !
Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The reason for balancing is to prevent any cell from getting above 4.3v. At some point above 4.3v the LiPo will burn. Exactly where is not predictable.

Before we had balancing chargers, The cells would slowly drift to different voltages. It became common to test and find >0.5 volt difference between the high cell and the low one. So we manually connected to charge just the low cell.

Also when a pack is badly out of balance the low cell might go below 2.8V which is where you are guaranteed to be damaging the cell. (Now recommended to not go below 3.0V)

Just being off a few 1/100ths of a volt isn't going to cause problems.