Sky Bug - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Sky Bug

Old 07-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Ralph B

Default Sky Bug

This is my latest outdoor micro design that I call the Sky Bug. This version spans 4.5" and tips the scale at 5 grams. Power is a direct drive 6MM pager motor with a cut down plastic prop and 30 mah lipo cell. Control functions are rudder and throttle provided by the 900 Mhz Plantraco 0.38 gram Rx and a single magnetic actuator. These photos were taken by Paul Bradley during the maiden flights this past Sunday.

Ralph Bradley
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_in_hand_04 sm.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_in_hand_03 sm.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_flight_06 sm.JPG
Views:	581
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_flight_05 sm.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_flight_01 sm.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	104  

Old 07-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Jerry Combs

Looks really good Ralph. Paul did a nice job on the photography too.

Jerry
Old 07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Ralph B

Jerry:

Thanks. It looks like we are the only ones here. Hope things pick up around here. In the mean time here are a few more photos of the Sky Bug.

Ralph

Name:	Skybug_on_stand_01 sm.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_on_stand_03 sm.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_launch_03 sm.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_flight_02 sm.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skybug_flight_04 sm.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	124  

Old 07-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Ken Spencer

Hi, Ralph
I'm here also ! SKY BUG looks really great. Will you and Paul make it to NEAT this year?
Jerry Combs's planes are getting smaller also. They inturn are looking really good and handleing great too.
Keep Them Flying ! Your good friend, Ken

Last edited by Ken Spencer; 07-29-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Ralph B

Hi Ken:

Glad to see you are here. NEAT is a bit too far for us to be able to attend this year. Since I'm not going I may still send the Sky Bug along with you and Bob so my model may be there at least.

Ralph
Old 07-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Ken Spencer

Hi, Ralph
Sorry to hear you guys won't be able to make NEAT. Bob said something today about Gary and him going to Houston in August or September for a fly.
Does this mean I get to fly the Sky Bug at NEAT? No, just kidding, you now I would protect it with my life.
Keep Them Flying ! Your good friend, Ken
Old 07-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Ralph B

Ken:

The event here is about 45 minutes to an hour North of Houston. It's the second weekend in October (week after DEAF). How about you fly the Sky Bug at NEAT and then at the event (BEST) HERE!

Ralph
Old 08-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Spacey

Like WOW!!! That thing is awesome!

Geez guess you don't have a problem transporting or storing your planes do ya? Hehe
Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 AM
mups53

Hey Ralph were would one go to obtain all the needed parts and instructions to build a plane like yours? thanks, Mike
Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Ralph B

Mike:

You can get all the items needed from Bob Selman:

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/

The only parts that are not stock off the shelf items are the prop and prop adapter/spinner. The prop came from Bob (yellow BP prop) but it has been cut down and reprofiled to work on the Sky Bug. The prop adapter is something I machined myself but you can get along without it and save some weight. I did not draw a plan for this model but may have one done latter when I get the time and finish fine tuning it.
A good entry to micro flight would be the slightly larger Micro Mite (7.75" span). There is a free plan available at www.parmodels.com The Micro Mite also uses off the shelf equipment you can get from Bob Selman. The equipment called out on the plan is already out of date. The Plantraco gear would be the way to go in my opinion with a 7MM motor and yellow BP prop which you might not have to cut down. The BP prop is a press fit on the 7 MM motor shaft so you would not need any type of prop adapter. Here are a couple photos of the original version of the Micro Mite.

Ralph

Name:	IN FLIGHT_02.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Model with plaque sm.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	209  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

Hi Ralph,
This is Bill, the guy that came with your brother to the indoor fly in Houston a few years back. I live in the Woodlands now and have been flying helis for about 9 months now. Where does you brother fly in Magnolia? Tell Paul I said hi!
BTW, very nice micro flyers there!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Ralph B

Bill:

Nice to hear from you. We still fly indoor at the same location in Houston. It's the second Monday of September (because of Labor Day) then we go back to the first Monday of each month (6:00 PM untill 9:00 PM).
Paul does his flying at home. He has a fairly large lot so both of us do all of our outdoor flying there. The Sky Bug photos were shot there by the way.

Ralph
Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Ralph B
Mike:

You can get all the items needed from Bob Selman:

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/

The only parts that are not stock off the shelf items are the prop and prop adapter/spinner. The prop came from Bob (yellow BP prop) but it has been cut down and reprofiled to work on the Sky Bug. The prop adapter is something I machined myself but you can get along without it and save some weight. I did not draw a plan for this model but may have one done latter when I get the time and finish fine tuning it.
A good entry to micro flight would be the slightly larger Micro Mite (7.75" span). There is a free plan available at www.parmodels.com The Micro Mite also uses off the shelf equipment you can get from Bob Selman. The equipment called out on the plan is already out of date. The Plantraco gear would be the way to go in my opinion with a 7MM motor and yellow BP prop which you might not have to cut down. The BP prop is a press fit on the 7 MM motor shaft so you would not need any type of prop adapter. Here are a couple photos of the original version of the Micro Mite.

Ralph
WOW,those are neat little planes,I went to the website,nice looking planes.Those would be neat to have inside a gym or something.I have seen 2 tiny planes before one was gas and one was electric but those are alot smaller..Good job keep it up.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

Originally Posted by Ralph B
Bill:

Nice to hear from you. We still fly indoor at the same location in Houston. It's the second Monday of September (because of Labor Day) then we go back to the first Monday of each month (6:00 PM untill 9:00 PM).
Paul does his flying at home. He has a fairly large lot so both of us do all of our outdoor flying there. The Sky Bug photos were shot there by the way.

Ralph
I may just have to come up to Paul's when I need to fly planes. I have an 80" H9 Cub that I'm electrifying with an AXI 4120....Don't know where I'll be able to maiden it....
Old 08-19-2005, 10:50 PM
NitroCharged
Team30 Micro EDF

Hey Ralph, I am here too but was waiting to post something of worth

Nice job as always.

I simply have to get some Plantraco gear soon. Funds a little low at the mo'.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:13 AM
John Worth

Hi, Ralph. You're not alone! For you info (and everybody elses) I just today sent off my Part 1 of my Cootie article for the September RC Micro World, to be on display next week. Also in this issue will be my notes on your Sky Bug, pretty well as you have done it here.

As a supplement to the Cootie article I've also done a story on my experiences with the Rogallo wing when I was at NASA 40 years ago.

John Worth
Old 08-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Ralph B

Hi John:

Very nice to see you here. I'm very much looking forward to your article about your NASA experiences with the Rogallo. Paul and I had some "Rogallo Experience" 40 years ago, inspired by NASA, but let's just say that the Cootie was my first successful Rogallo and leave it at that! Most people today don't realize that what they have come to know as a "hang glider" actually started out as a NASA development program with a much different purpose in mind. As someone who was there at the beginning John's article should be facinating. It seems like every time I fly the Cootie someone points at it and says "Look at the little hang glider"!
Guys, I hope you will consider subscribing to R/C Micro World if you have not done so already. John has created the only publication that features micro flight exclusively and deserves our support. It's a huge job that John has undertaken and he deserves our thanks as much as our support.

Ralph Bradley
Old 08-27-2005, 05:10 PM
John Worth

Thanks for nice words, Ralph. My Rogallo wing article in the September issue covers the wing as a glider as well as powered, including the Ryan full sscale man-carrying Flying Jeep, also Rogallo wings for the Apollo & Mercury space capsules, and one for returning the Saturn Booster rocket to earth. Fascinating Stuff.

The September issue of RC Micro World should be on display September 1, possibly sooner.

John Worth