Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

SUPER Quick Delta Scratch Build

Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Alright...your pick looks good but we need to know what battery you are planning to run...specifically 2s or 3s lipo?
Your motor-esc-prop choice will work with either but on a small light delta you definitely experince some torque effects with a 3s......if using a 3s I would suggest a prop one size smaller such as 7x4 or 7x5. IF 2s, then the 8x4 will be great....a little mild but that's a good thing in you case .
Either way you will have PLENTY of power so throttle management will be advised...LOL.
What is your target AUW (total weight as you would fly your plane)? That will also help with matching a powertrain for you.

Good job using Heads Up for your needs here....Jeff carries a great selection and he's very quick on the email for any questions....A+

--Ray
I am not to privy on the AUW info. It's never been on the radar before. I am planning on a 7.4V 2s lipo for this little project. I can start messing with props down the road I suppose...and yes, mild is good.

Cool, I will launch this order in tomorrow morning. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dirt4dinner View Post
Ok, I read through the first 15 pages of this thread and the entire time I was filling up my "shopping cart" on Heads Up RC. I know there are still a few things I am missing, so hopefully with all your help I can get the shipment right the first time.

Please keep in mind. THE ONLY planes I have ever owned have been 2 Hobby Zone park fliers that were RTF. So I don't understand all the wiring, connecting of rods, reinforcement of wings or anything....I am just going for it!

Here is my list so far...

(1) - 2408-21 Brushless Motor & 18 Amp Mag 8 ESC

(4 - Just to have some extras) -
SERVO - 9g TP SG90E Sub Micro Servo

(1) -
8040 (8x4) Propellers FIVE ORANGE 8" Direct Drive Props

(1) -
Stick Motor Mount for motors with 8mm bearing tube

(1) -
3.5mm Connector Combo - 6 pr 3.5mm & 2 pr T-Plug

(1) -
Motor Mounting Sticks 10mm x 10mm x 8" long

(1) -
SERVO ARM EASY CONNECTORS - FIVE

(1) -
Prop Saver for 3.0mm shaft

TOTAL = $55.85

That should be everything! I am getting the lipo elsewhere, as I need to place an order for a couple other batteries.

I am going to leave my shopping cart open over night and place the order tomorrow.

Could someone please review this list and let me know if I am missing anything, or if anything I have there isn't going to work. Thanks!
your list looks great so far here are a few things that you will need, omit if you already have them, hope that helps, Chellie

1. velcro-Heavy duty
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-inches/Detail
2. 5 min epoxy
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/887560.asp

3. micro control horns
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/877819.asp

4. Carbon fiber tube or you can use a round dowel for bracing
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/589714.asp

5. music wire for servo and horns
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/597329.asp

6. Z wire bender
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/237473.asp

7. Zippy and Rhino Lipos work Great, here is a great place to get them at.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Ah_3S1P_15-25C

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5C_Lipoly_Pack

use Paypal if shopping over seas, its cheap insurance to do so, you will get your money back if items are lost in shipping.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Thanks Chellie, I was hoping you would find a few minutes to look my list over. I am excited about this little project!

I am going to get the rest of that stuff from a local hobby shop I think. I went ahead and placed my order this morning with Heads Up RC. Shipping was only $2!!! What a deal!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie, I was hoping you would find a few minutes to look my list over. I am excited about this little project!

I am going to get the rest of that stuff from a local hobby shop I think. I went ahead and placed my order this morning with Heads Up RC. Shipping was only $2!!! What a deal!
Your going to love working with Jeff at Heads Up Rc, a lot of people here on Wattflyers buy from Jeff, and he has make a great name for himself Tell Jeff that Chellie sent you LOL
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...highlight=hurc

Take care, Chellie
Old 01-19-2010, 02:46 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

I just back from Micheals (I feel awkward when I go in there).

I got two big Elmers Foam boards. One white one that has a two pack, then a big tri-fold black one. I thought a black and white combo would be fun. I also got a new exacto knife and a HUGE mat cutting board with grid lines on it.

More photos as I get started!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Your going to love working with Jeff at Heads Up Rc, a lot of people here on Wattflyers buy from Jeff, and he has make a great name for himself Tell Jeff that Chellie sent you LOL
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...highlight=hurc

Take care, Chellie
Yes Chellie,
Most companies have a slogan,
"Quality, Price, Service pick any two"
Jeff seems to go with "Quality, Price, Service pick any three"
winning combination.
CC
Old 01-19-2010, 03:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I just back from Micheals (I feel awkward when I go in there).

I got two big Elmers Foam boards. One white one that has a two pack, then a big tri-fold black one. I thought a black and white combo would be fun. I also got a new exacto knife and a HUGE mat cutting board with grid lines on it.

More photos as I get started!!!
I just back from Micheals (I feel awkward when I go in there). WHY ?

If your single there are a lot of Gals that go there, PLUS the Gals are into Arts and Crafts, building foamies is Arts and Crafts The Gals that go to Michales are a Natural for RC Aviation, glueing together foam, glue and sticks is Building a Rc Airplane Take Care, Chellie
Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

I am happily married...but Michaels is NO place for guys. It's just the way it is. It's a chick store. My wife cracked up when I told her I wanted to go over there. She is there just about daily (she ownes her own handmade jewelry business online).
Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I am happily married...but Michaels is NO place for guys. It's just the way it is. It's a chick store. My wife cracked up when I told her I wanted to go over there. She is there just about daily (she ownes her own handmade jewelry business online).
Kewl then Your Better Half is a Natural for making RC Foam Planes too Did you meet her at Michaels LOL , Get her involved in Rc too, She will love it, Take Care and Have fun, Chellie

PS. you better Change your screen Name, Or Your better Half is going to think that She is not a good Cook
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

In one of those first few pages of this thread you posted the first video of you delta wing flying. In that post you attached a couple photos, one of them was a shot of the bottom of the plane. Did you cover the bottom with something? Is that tape or wing covering...I can't tell.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

In one of those first few pages of this thread you posted the first video of you delta wing flying. In that post you attached a couple photos, one of them was a shot of the bottom of the plane. Did you cover the bottom with something? Is that tape or wing covering...I can't tell.
Hi the delta was my first foamy builds, and i used some fiberglass straping tape to hold and cover the CF tube with, on that first delta i just layed the cf on the foam, but on later builds, i cut a slot in the foam, big enough for the cf tube to lay flat with the foam, i use the straping tape or you can use clear Packing tape on both sides of the slot, normally just one 6mm CF tube is needed, I cut the slot first, lay the tape from end to end on the wing on one side, pour in some 30 min epoxy in the slot, lay the CF tube in the slot, and then, cover the slot and CF tube with another strip of fiberglass Straping tape on the other side, here is a pic on a pusher jet on how i now do the CF braceing tube on the wing, you can use one or two CF Rods, depending on how hard your going to fly the plane, I normally brace a plane now to Take a 8G wing load so you will see 2 CF tubes

Carbon Fiber Dust is very Nasty stuff, so use a wet paper towel under the CF Tube when cutting it, that will collect the CF dust, so you dont breath it, use a dust mask too, for your own safety, on the bottom of the delta wing, there is just straping tape and I painted the bottom with krylon short cuts paint, you can use Testors enamal too on foam, its a waterbase spray enamal paint, but first test on a piece of scrape foam, and use in thin coats, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 01-23-2010, 01:32 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Well, 90% of the stuff for my first ever scratch build is sitting on the work bench. I need a couple sets of Deans Connectors, the CF rods, the servo control rods and the little plastic horns that mount to the elevators and ailerons for the servo rods to connect to. Other than that it's all ready to start the build. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to dig into that pile of foam board in the garage!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Well, 90% of the stuff for my first ever scratch build is sitting on the work bench. I need a couple sets of Deans Connectors, the CF rods, the servo control rods and the little plastic horns that mount to the elevators and ailerons for the servo rods to connect to. Other than that it's all ready to start the build. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to dig into that pile of foam board in the garage!
Here is a couple of threads that may help when doing your build

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

I got started on my scratch Delta. I am calling the SCRATCH AB3. Everything on the plane is from my old Aerobird 3. The electronics, motor and landing gears...yeah I added landing gear!! Sweet.

Here are some photos. I need to install the electronics still, but I have everything ready to go on it.

Big up's to Grinchmob for hanging out in the garage last night for a few hours putting this thing together. Here are the photos for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 001.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	119366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 005.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	119367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 006.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	119368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 007.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	119369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 008.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	119370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 009.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	119371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch Delta 012.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	119372  
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I got started on my scratch Delta. I am calling the SCRATCH AB3. Everything on the plane is from my old Aerobird 3. The electronics, motor and landing gears...yeah I added landing gear!! Sweet.

Here are some photos. I need to install the electronics still, but I have everything ready to go on it.

Big up's to Grinchmob for hanging out in the garage last night for a few hours putting this thing together. Here are the photos for now.
Thats looking great I am going to guess that your CG point will be about 6" back from the start of the foam nose then back, I think that will be safe to start with, add a lot of up when turning, as these deltas will tend to dip down hard in a turn , or go up a little before turning, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

I got the maiden flight in today. It wasn't pretty, but it's still in one piece. The AB3 hardware was a total failure, not nearly enough power to get it airborne. I had to go to the brushless stuff from Heads Up and that did the trick. I used a 2 cell 800mAh battery, and it got it around in the air, but not nearly enough power to have any fun. So I will be using a 3 cell 800mAh next time.

It's a handful to fly, but it was very rewarding to get it up in the air!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I got the maiden flight in today. It wasn't pretty, but it's still in one piece. The AB3 hardware was a total failure, not nearly enough power to get it airborne. I had to go to the brushless stuff from Heads Up and that did the trick. I used a 2 cell 800mAh battery, and it got it around in the air, but not nearly enough power to have any fun. So I will be using a 3 cell 800mAh next time.

It's a handful to fly, but it was very rewarding to get it up in the air!
Great to hear yes, you need to use a 3 cell lipo and these flat foamies need 20 + oz of thrust to fly right, keep us posted and give us a nice video too of the flight Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 02-14-2010, 05:22 PM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

SUCCESS!!! The 3 cell lipo did the trick. I was able to hold the fin in my right hand, run up the throttle stick and just basically drop the plane and it took off! It's still a handful to fly. I am not real sure about CG characteristics. My biggest complaint is that the plane wants to fly like a heli (straight up and down in a hover). This happens when I turn to sharp and stall it (which is a little to easy to do in my opinion). Is this a CG issue or a lack of power? I went with the 8040 prop that was recommended. Is there a better prop that will give it enough power to actually climb out of this helicopter position it likes to get in? It's weird, once it gets in that hover position, I have to cut the thottle and let it fall back to the ground. Thankfully every time I have done this is just falls flat on it's belly and lands itself!

I love this little thing though. I will get video next time I take it out!

Is this the 7x6 prop you cut down Chellie?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...rs-FIVE/Detail
Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

SUCCESS!!! The 3 cell lipo did the trick. I was able to hold the fin in my right hand, run up the throttle stick and just basically drop the plane and it took off! It's still a handful to fly. I am not real sure about CG characteristics. My biggest complaint is that the plane wants to fly like a heli (straight up and down in a hover). This happens when I turn to sharp and stall it (which is a little to easy to do in my opinion). Is this a CG issue or a lack of power? I went with the 8040 prop that was recommended. Is there a better prop that will give it enough power to actually climb out of this helicopter position it likes to get in? It's weird, once it gets in that hover position, I have to cut the thottle and let it fall back to the ground. Thankfully every time I have done this is just falls flat on it's belly and lands itself!

I love this little thing though. I will get video next time I take it out!

Is this the 7x6 prop you cut down Chellie?
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...rs-FIVE/Detail
its sounds like the plane is a little tail heavy, move the cg forwards more, yes thats the prop that i use, they work great, i cut those down to a 6" prop for more speed, balance the prop after you cut it, keep the speed up on these deltas, dont stall them Hope that helps, Chellie
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...alancer/Detail
Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

As always good info Chellie...
Oh, by the way Happy Valentines Day to YOu...
Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
As always good info Chellie...
Oh, by the way Happy Valentines Day to YOu...
Thank you Bruce Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 AM
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Another successful day with the Delta Wing! It started life with a landing gear from my AB3...but today was the landing gears last flight. I slapped it down pretty hard on the road and the landing gear finally broke free of it's hot glue fastening job...the motor mount stick came off too. So before I glued the stick back on I just removed the landing gear all together. Anyways, this is pretty much identical to Chellie's design and I have now flown about 8 batteries threw it and it's a little dented and grass stained, but it still flies like the day it came off the work bench. I added some spoiler deals to the wing tips last night because I was bored. Here are some photos and a little video of it flying today. I managed to do a couple rolls and loops today, but the camera had already died. NEXT TIME I PROMISE!!!

Motor: 2408-21 Outrunner (Heads Up RC)
ESC: Tower Pro 18Amp Mag 8 (Heads Up RC)
Pro: 8x4 (Heads Up RC)
Battery: 3 cell 800mAh EFlite Lipo
Servos: The cheap 9g blue ones from Heads Up RC
Tx & Rx: HobbyZone ZX-10 (from Trojan T-28)
Airframe: Elmers White Foam Board (w/ paper still on)
Misc: AeroBird 3 servo horns and control rods
Additional: DUCT TAPE AND HOT GLUE!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnT3fL_qbps[/media]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta Wing 001.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	120916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta Wing 002.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	120917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta Wing 003.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	120918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta Wing 004.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	120919  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Another successful day with the Delta Wing! It started life with a landing gear from my AB3...but today was the landing gears last flight. I slapped it down pretty hard on the road and the landing gear finally broke free of it's hot glue fastening job...the motor mount stick came off too. So before I glued the stick back on I just removed the landing gear all together. Anyways, this is pretty much identical to Chellie's design and I have now flown about 8 batteries threw it and it's a little dented and grass stained, but it still flies like the day it came off the work bench. I added some spoiler deals to the wing tips last night because I was bored. Here are some photos and a little video of it flying today. I managed to do a couple rolls and loops today, but the camera had already died. NEXT TIME I PROMISE!!!

Motor: 2408-21 Outrunner (Heads Up RC)
ESC: Tower Pro 18Amp Mag 8 (Heads Up RC)
Pro: 8x4 (Heads Up RC)
Battery: 3 cell 800mAh EFlite Lipo
Servos: The cheap 9g blue ones from Heads Up RC
Tx & Rx: HobbyZone ZX-10 (from Trojan T-28)
Airframe: Elmers White Foam Board (w/ paper still on)
Misc: AeroBird 3 servo horns and control rods
Additional: DUCT TAPE AND HOT GLUE!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnT3fL_qbps[/media]
You are having Way to much Fun Take care, Chellie
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Grinchmob
Barely off the ground

Well I can vouch for Dirt4Dinners loops and rolls with this delta but he kept heading for the sun like a moth to a flame. Not only did the camera die, I think my retinas will never be the same.

The Grinch
Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I'm planning on working one of these up. I've gone thru the threads and pieced together what I think are all the final dimensions. I've laid it out to take maximum advantage of factory-cut straight edges. If anyone sees anything missing or wrong, please let me know.

Where did the center of gravity finally end up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15582 seconds with 24 queries