WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

Default "Clean Foamie Mount"

I really wanted to keep my Funder & Lightning as "clean" as possible as far as construction. I'm using carbon arrow shafts for the booms and decided I'd use the same material to make my motor mount anchor. I really wanted to stay away from using plywood or some boxy looking motor mount. What I came up with is strong, light and very minimalistic. I should have taken a picture of the mount before I installed it on the plane. I'll photograph the next one Just picture a piece of 5/16" dia. CF tubing running from the back of the motor mount, through the nose, all the way to where the slot for the wing is in the fusilage. It's held in place with Gorilla Glue. It's STRONG. I considered making carbon fiber reinforcement panels for the sides of the nose but they aren't needed at all.

The mount itself is made from carbon fiber and silver G10, the materal used on some Heli frames and Rock Crawers. Rock Crawer fans will notice the Axial green aluminum standoff material, I used for the spacers. I wanted air to be able to THROUGH the motor as intended and I needed to space the mount away from the collar on the rear of the motor. In doing that I kept the overall length as short as possible.

On the next one, I'll make a 3 screw version to save weight, I'm sure it will be strong enough and lighter with one less screw and less material. Now I have to make a nice prop nut/spinner!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	foamymotormount1.jpg
Views:	2558
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	79755   Click image for larger version

Name:	foamymotormount2.jpg
Views:	2645
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	79756   Click image for larger version

Name:	foamymotormount3.jpg
Views:	2548
Size:	199.0 KB