Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 AM
GALVDA

Default A couple of more pebbles to add to the pile...

Went over to the Museum of Flight the other day to photgraph the B-47. If I can ever find the bloody firewire to connect the camera to the computer I may even put up some pictures too.

The 6 ports on the side of the fuselage approximately even with the TE of the wing are duplicated on both sides of this aircraft. They do not appear to have any inner structure or apparatus behind them inside the fuselage, save a heavy wire mesh, and I would judge them to be hot air vents. The mesh is obviously to keep small birds out but I cannot verify if these are original equipment or merely added on for the display.

This example is a WB-47 and not a first line combat aircraft per se so it is just possible, if not probable, it was not equipped with chaff dispensers. The one B-47 you show with these 6 vents probably has them on the opposite side as well.

I can't say that the bomber version only had them on one side but it makes sense that it probably had them on both sides. Why have so few chaff dispensers when everything coming at you at that time from any direction was basically radar guided?

One B-47 in the photos is also shown on display with the ailerons faired neatly with the rest of the wing. The ailerons on the B-47 we have here show an equal amount of "up" aileron on both sides when at rest. I suspect this is a result of the control cables being pulled out of rig by the wing drooping while there are no air loads on it. I also suspect that the airplane with the neatly faired ailerons was disassembled for transport to where it now sits and did not have the controls re-attached and rigged, just nailed in position.

Our B-47 was flown in here years ago and, to my knowledge was never disassembled. It sits about 100 feet from the taxiway of the runway it came in on.

The overhead picture of the 1000th B-47 rollout on page 79 of Mark Natola's book clearly shows that this misalignment was so. Several end-on shots of the wings of production aircraft at rest on the ramp in the Japanese book show this as well. Oddly, the pictures of the XB-47s do not seem to show this. Perhaps the rigging was changed in development.

Why did I notice this? The 727s I flew, when fully fuelled up, would deploy the speed boards on the top of one wing , I forget which side, (left?) a couple of inches due to the wings drooping from the increased weight and the unequal geometry of the spoiler actuating cables.

Page generated in 0.05017 seconds with 10 queries