Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 AM
GALVDA

I have been following this (incredibly long) thread with considerable interest since I am quite enamored of Boeings, having flown a few.

I particularly like the B-47; one I dearly wish I could have flown. Living as I do in Seattle and being a member of the Museum of Flight, I often go out and stand under the B-47 parked on the lawn outside the museum and find details I missed on the last visit.

I have been wanting to do just the sort of thing the author is iterating here with the B-47 but am presently bogged down in my own quest for accuracy in a (believe it or not) stand-off RC scale model. Those of us who have attempted such a project as this can appreciate just how excruciatingly slow the process is, although the one presented here is an order of magnitude (or five) more complex than anything I've attempted.

I did manage to teach myself AutoSketch and come up with some very accurate 1/5th scale drawings of the 1930s Wright Cyclone 1820 F-2 radial engine and build an 11" diameter model of one for my Goshawk over 2 years. But I digress and this is not about me after all. Well, not completely anyway.

In the interest of full disclosure, I once did this sort of thing for a living at 4223 Glencoe Ave., Venice, CA (Marina Del Rey) before I went back to living in full 1:1 scale and flying 1:1 jets.

I was, long ago and far away, for 5 1/2 years the Research Analyst/ Designer (resident maven) for everything not a car or bike at Revell, Inc. This was long before they ever packed up and moved to Illinois and joined up with the dark side, i.e., our former biggest competitor, Monogram.

My predecessor, Lloyd Jones, was there for the 9 years up to 1972 and is/was far better at the job than I could ever be.

I mention this history because in slogging through this saga I was struck by how very similar this entire project is to how we used to bring a design from an idea to cutting molds for the models...and how very different at the same time.

Similar because the data had to be gathered and as more info became available a lot of the early info often ended discredited and discarded.

Also similar in the way published flawed data often gains credibility through the mere fact that it gets published and remains the accepted standard until someone who actually knows what they are doing and what they're looking at comes along and does it right.

Different in that the amount and sheer quality of data now available is literally staggering compared to what was available at the time I was doing this. I believe that some of this stuff, like manuals, etc., might actually have been still classified at the time of my tenure.

Also different in that the ability to translate pictures and suspect drawings into hardware, a gift which was once entirely dependent on the skill, inspiration, talent, and how much interest in the project a draftsman might have, is now vastly simplified and made infinitely easier to render by the computers and CAD apps that were not even conceived of at that earlier time.

In that vein, do you have any idea how hard it can be to get enthusiastic about and motivated and make good models out of subjects you don't choose and in which you may have little or no interest?

That was the major reason why I left Revell. When what you love to do becomes what you have to do, it's work. That's why we call this a hobby.

So forge ahead Metal Man, by all means, this is wonderful. And when a flyable model is finally on the ramp, please make the info available to all so that any of us with the will and patience to build one can at least vicariously be B-47 pilots for a while.

For those who might question your sanity in doing this, I am of the firm belief that, if it were not for those who are rabidly obsessive/compulsive about this stuff, nothing so excruciatingly cool would ever get done.

Yeah, you/we might be nuts, but it's a good kind of nuts.

Press on.

Dave Galvin, Revell, Inc. Feb 1973 to August, 1978.

Last edited by GALVDA; 05-19-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Obsessive compusive disorder

Page generated in 0.06453 seconds with 8 queries