View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I've had no problems with the x-mount to the disc it's the disc to foam that I have always had a problem with. And it's not that the disc comes loose from the foam...it takes the foam that it's glued to with it. The pic with the balsa triangle stock is from a previous Yak that I had with the same problem.

I added some triangle pieces of foam to my current Yak but it didn't help either as you can see from the pics. Maybe I'm just hitting the ground harder than I think :o.

Ray your FFF Yak's look great BTW. The extra foam you added covers more area than the pieces I added and I will try it out before I retire this one but I think I will end up with a piece of 3/8th stick like I use on my combat planes on my next one.
That is kind of a weak spot of the foam plane for sure. I started with that yak and the first one got so nose heavy from epoxying the motor back on I finally gave up on that one and had to order another one. I think it took one yak to figure out the best way to land with without damage. Now I have been reinforcing the nose of my planes with extra foam all the way back past the leading edge of the wing. I didn't have a picture of how I did my yak but here is one that I reinforced (this one I sandwiched the fuse with foam it gave me a larger surface to glue the mount to also). On my yak I added one extra pc of foam on the bottom and the two sides.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00137 (2).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	77936  

Page generated in 0.03647 seconds with 10 queries