WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - How do I fly, exactly?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 11:58 PM
soarr
Glider guider

Jeremy-

[when I dial in some left rudder, the plane will start to bank and turn left, but that when I let the stick return to center, the plane will still be turning left. Is that true?]
The T-Hawk has a bit of dihedral in the wings so it should correct itself if you are in a shallow turn. Steep turns will probably require you to correct the turn in the opposite direction before you lose too much altitude. When you start, keep your turns smooth and try not to overcontrol; when you want to turn left, for example, give it a little left rudder and wait for the plane to bank. Responsiveness will also depend on your airspeed.

[Does it also work like that for elevator inputs, so that it will keep going up or down until I apply counter-elevator to level it off?]

This also depends on your airspeed. If you're climbing at full throttle, then you can slow down to level off. I suggest setting up your plane to fly level at 1/2 throttle.

What about hand-launching? Will have to trim in some up elevator so it doesn't crash as soon as it's out of my hand?
It's best to have your plane trimmed for level flight at 1/2 throttle. Hand launch at full throttle and throw it straight and level. Try to keep it level until to gain enough airspeed for a gentle climb. When you have enough altitude, then you can make turns.

[How do I hold the transmitter (I'm righty) when I'm throwing the plane?]
I hold the Tx with my left hand and throw with my right. Remember, straight and level.

[I heard that the instructions for the T-Hawk say to climb to 100' or so, then cut motor power and practice some controls on the way to a landing. Is this a good way to start? What's next?]

That's not a bad way to start. If you crash, you will have less damage than crashing at full throttle. However, keep in mind that you need to keep your airspeed up. If you cut your power, and don't keep up your airspeed, the plane won't respond well. Do what's comfortable for you. If you prefer to go to 1/3 or 1/2 throttle, then do that. Practice cutting your power for landing. Also practice cutting your power if you see you're losing control and you're too close to the ground.

[Any other tips or things to watch for? (remember, I'm totally green)]
Plan your takeoff, flight pattern, and landings. For example, take off, fly straight into a gentle climb; when you have enough airspeed, fly a rectangular or circular pattern then slow down and start your landing approach. Land, then do it again.

Other tips:
Know what obstacles are around you.
Take off into the wind and land into the wind.
If you missed your landing, plan what you would do. Throttle up and try again? Would you have enough room to land further down?
Don't fly if there is too much wind for you to handle comfortably. It's better to have a short flight or no flight and be able to return another day with your plane (and $$) intact.

Others with much more experience than me will also have valuable suggestions for you.

--

Page generated in 0.02591 seconds with 8 queries