WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - How do I fly, exactly?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Default How do I fly, exactly?

First, if there's a link you can give me that explains it, along with unexpected things, can you point me in that direction.

Second, I think I know the basic theory, but doing is different altogether.

I bought the T-Hawk and am awaiting delivery. It has a 3 channel transmitter with a single stick on the right, and a slider for throttle on the left back side.
  1. If I push the stick forward, that is down elevator, right?
  2. If I pull it towards me, it is up elevator, right?
  3. If I push the stick left, that is left rudder, (since there are no ailerons) correct?
  4. ..and vice-versa for pushing it right, correct?
But mainly, I'm wondering what is going to suprise me. For instance, I read somewhere that when I dial in some left rudder, the plane will start to bank and turn left, but that when I let the stick return to center, the plane will still be turning left. Is that true? Does it also work like that for elevator inputs, so that it will keep going up or down until I apply counter-elevator to level it off?

What about hand-launching? Will have to trim in some up elevator so it doesn't crash as soon as it's out of my hand?

How do I hold the transmitter (I'm righty) when I'm throwing the plane?

I heard that the instructions for the T-Hawk say to climb to 100' or so, then cut motor power and practice some controls on the way to a landing. Is this a good way to start? What's next?

Any other tips or things to watch for? (remember, I'm totally green)

(Assume I don't have an instructor)

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

PS - I'm going to have my wife take some digital video of my first flights, so you will be able to see how your advice helps, and maybe have a laugh or two, hehehe.

Page generated in 0.04679 seconds with 7 queries