View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
When I started in model airplanes, every thing was balsa & tissue, when you had a crash, you needed a shopping bag to pick up the 100-200+ pieces that were blown all over the place. I had a control line combat plane, built super light, it hit the ground so hard, the cloud of pieces was 8' diameter. all that was left after the wind blew the dust away was the motor, bellcrank & wires, and some of the larger pieces of balsa. a lot of the plane simply drifted away.

Today with foam planes, from kits or ARFs they just don't break up like that. These planes are so easy to repair it is amazing, I have blown my 3D foam trainer into 30-40 pieces about 5 times, and had it ready to fly again the next day. I can't even count the times I have done minor damage, and fixed it at the field, and kept flying.

Beginners will crash just like Chellie says, it is simply part of learning, like falling down when kids are learning to walk, or falling down learning to ride a bike. If they think they are so gifted that they won't crash, they are only fooling themselves.

If you can't stand the crash, get off the runway.
It was normal to have a supermarket plastic bag in pocket just in case !! Know it well ..... I had a beautiful Royal P51D which I had brought back from US to UK ... Spent loving care building the model from the kit. Flaps, retracts ... cracking model.
3rd flight - Rx battery pack failed where a cells tag broke away cutting power to Rx. She went in with throttle still open ... (IC glow HB51) .... spreading wreckage far and wide.

I find it amazing the crashes I have with foam now and still fly next day ... longest time to repair incl. glue time was 2hrs. That was ripped out wing bolt fixing area in fuselage, centre part of wing T/E from aileron rods back torn out, fuselage split at fwd part of cockpit, motor mount split, wing L/E fixing / alignment pins snapped of .....
Only reason I didn't go back out flying same day was sun had set !

Page generated in 0.07395 seconds with 8 queries