WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - How about this Piper Cub?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 03:28 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Thanks for the lead-in, GA.

Yes, I am the proud owner of one of these planes, and I really love it. Now bear in mind that GreenAce is absolutely right about having to get the geared version as opposed to the direct drive. The one I originally got was fortunately the one with the gearbox. However, I later ordered the Piper Cub from their site that has the camo paint scheme, and it came with the direct drive 380, and flew like a dog (until I upgraded it to a brushless outrunner, that is).

It's a great plane and flies pretty easy, although it being a Piper Cub, it's very responsive and easy to over-control. Green is also right about the controls--it doesn't come with the controller shown. The one it comes with is this one. You can't see it in this picture, but it has a throttle control on the back of the right side, next to where your right index finger rests. Not at all a standard control system, but I got used to it without developing too many bad habits. And then later on when I got a real radio, I just upgraded it to 72Mhz and it worked great.

One thing, though, buy this plane from Raidentech.com if you decide to get it. It's the same plane (and the same company running the website, actually), but from Raidentech.com you get free shipping on orders over $50 when you use the coupon code "CJFREESHIPPING".

In fact, just to be safe, if you decide to get this plane, what I would do would be to call Raidentech on the phone (number is listed on their site) and tell them that you want to place an order for the SDM Piper Cub with the gearbox if they have them in stock, and that you DO NOT WANT the direct drive version. The guys on the phone there are pretty helpful, although it can be hard to get through--I get a busy signal most of the time when I call during business hours.

All that being said, I would advise you to get the Wild Hawk as a beginner plane for the exact same price. It's not as aerobatic a plane as the Piper Cub, but it's much easier to fly (it's basically the same thing as the Easy Star, which costs $150-$200). Also, you'll get longer flight times, and the controller it comes with uses a standard 3-channel control scheme. Just bear in mind that it flies more like a glider plane than a sport plane. You can do loops and even fly the thing inverted for a good distance once you get really good at controlling it, but it's not like flying a fancy stunt plane by any measure.

At any rate, for $70, you can't hardly beat either of those planes for beginners. Not only are they easy to fly (particuarly the Wild Hawk), but they can also be upgraded later and turned into very nice flyers even for the experienced pilot. I upgraded my SDM Piper Cub with a brushless outrunner (after I saw how well my other one flew after upgrading it), and it's an absolute screamer now. Of course, you do have to keep the plane in good enough condition to upgrade some day.

I think that's where Green got off track--his was in pretty rough shape by the time he had started getting into the brushless motor scene.

Page generated in 0.04365 seconds with 8 queries